Gramps Zoom Feature

Josh Stenb
Hi,Gramps,

I'm wondering if someone can direct me? Some of my relatives would like to have a downloadable file of my entire family tree. Right now as most computers (including mine) can't zoom in far enough I have to put one tree on 40 pages and even then it's small. Is there a Gramps feature that puts one whole tree in one file and viewable/readable? Maybe almost like the way I view Gramps when entering info. Thanks!

- Joshua

Re: Gramps Zoom Feature

Peter Merchant
On 25/04/17 21:18, Josh Stenb wrote:
Hi,Gramps,

I'm wondering if someone can direct me? Some of my relatives would like to have a downloadable file of my entire family tree. Right now as most computers (including mine) can't zoom in far enough I have to put one tree on 40 pages and even then it's small. Is there a Gramps feature that puts one whole tree in one file and viewable/readable? Maybe almost like the way I view Gramps when entering info. Thanks!

- Joshua

Change the page size to a fairly large page, like A1, and see how many pages that creates. The viewers can always zoom in to 'enlarge' the view.  There will be a lot of whitespace that is like getting lost in the desert.

Peter M.

Re: Gramps Zoom Feature

Josh Stenb
Hi, Peter M.

Sadly I've done that. That's why I've had to subsequently break it up into many more pages... A1 doesn't zoom in well nor does it even cover the whole tree! It's quite the tree. I was hoping maybe there was a program to prevent me from printing 40 A1's x times... Thoughts?

- Joshua

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25/04/17 21:18, Josh Stenb wrote:
Hi,Gramps,

I'm wondering if someone can direct me? Some of my relatives would like to have a downloadable file of my entire family tree. Right now as most computers (including mine) can't zoom in far enough I have to put one tree on 40 pages and even then it's small. Is there a Gramps feature that puts one whole tree in one file and viewable/readable? Maybe almost like the way I view Gramps when entering info. Thanks!

- Joshua

Change the page size to a fairly large page, like A1, and see how many pages that creates. The viewers can always zoom in to 'enlarge' the view.  There will be a lot of whitespace that is like getting lost in the desert.

Peter M.

Re: Gramps Zoom Feature

Dave Scheipers
Hi Josh,

When a relative wants a copy of the family, I create a Narrated Web site that I put onto a thumb drive for them. It gives them a way to click through the information in a way that they are used to and includes pictures, sources, maps etc.

Dave

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Josh Stenb <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi, Dave,

That's an interesting idea. I'm gonna sound American but what's the easiest way to do that via Gramps? Lol. Can you send me some suggestions? Thanks to all!

- Joshua

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Joshua,

Gramps has the ability to build a web site built in. Reports >> Web Pages >> Narrated Web Site

Depending on the size of your database and its scope you may want to create a filter to narrow what it creates.  I have a series of filters that takes the relative wanting the info (or usually one of their kids) finds their ancestors then brings all of those families forward. My database contains both sides of my trees so my mother's cousins are not interested in my father's tree.

Play around with a small segment of your tree to see what the various options are and which style appeals to you. You can write a narrative introduction explaining what you've done (or not done), header and footer note, a contact page etc. These are note records so be carful that they don't get deleted by using the clear unused items tool. (I have a dummy person that holds these notes, images etc so they show as linked) For pictures, I've collected a few ancestry related cartoons that I've gained together.

I've got it so all I have to do is change the filter person then have gramps create the site. I am doing a slight rewrite talking about places. I'm slowly implementing the ability of places changing through time. My note is currently written having places static with current names etc.

I've even created a readme.txt file I include telling them which file (index) to click on to get started and what to do to move everything to their hard drive (that everything stays as is under the same folder.) Depending on the number of people and how many media files you have, it can take a while to work its magic. I'm not sure but it seems like the report rebuilds media file thumbnails even if gramps already has all of them which takes a while to do (depending on the number of media files you have.

Let me know if I can help in any other way... what I do for filters maybe.

Dave

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Josh Stenb <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

And just after I posted, I thought of an issue I discovered when I first did this.

I'm from Massachusetts and most of my work so far is centered here. And my mother's family for the most part came over in the early 1600's. There are many resources that are available for many of these families.

To illustrate the issue I'll use one source. The New England Historic Genealogical Society has a register that they have been publishing yearly from 1847 and these are available as PDF's. I originally had one source with citations Volume/Page etc and linked each of the PDF's to the source so it would be available through this web site that I share. And I compounded the problem because when I discover a resource like this, I'll download and link all the PDF's for the source regardless if I needed them yet. So far I was patting myself on the back.

The problem was for the relatives selected, not all of the PDF's were relevant. But because with one source and ALL the PDF's linked to it, all the PDF's went with the web site regardless if the relative would need it. I've since separated each Volume as its own source with just the one PDF and adjusted the underlying citations to reflect this change. Several sources went from one entry for all volumes to 100 sources, one for each volume. To say nothing of relinking (correctly, hopefully) all the underlying citations and then removing the Volume info from the citation that is now part of the source. And this for about a dozen sources with multiple volumes.

Of course none of this may be an issue for you, but for others following this thread.....

A word from experience.... Dave

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi, Dave, Thanks! I've been messing around with it. I found your responses informative and very helpful. I'll have to keep messing with it to learn more. While at it:

To All: I did notice something else. When I print an "Ancestral Tree" the squares per person stay the same size no matter how much info is in them. This is critical because I reduced info in all squares down to a minimal amount and it still won't work. The reason is I've somehow managed to get all my tree onto one page. It just won't zoom in well enough. Anyone know a way to reduce the size of the squares? This I think would make it work. Thoughts?

- Joshua

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

prculley
I've recently had this problem as well. What I did was make a very large paper size. I use the custom size on Gramps menu to make a 30 foot by 3 foot paper.
Then I printed to Adobe PDF.

 The various PDF readers will show the whole thing at a small percentage zoom, 3% for instance, but when zoomed out to full size (100%) you can see everything and scroll across the very large sheet.

I actually had this printed by a print shop for a fairly large price, but it was a big hit at a family reunion when put up on the wall.

Paul Culley

On Apr 26, 2017 11:05 PM, "Josh Stenb" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Paul Franklin-5
On 4/27/17, Josh Stenb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> all! Still, I love Gramps and I'm sure there's a lot to do but may I
> recommend making box length size reduction possible? Maybe automatic based
> on the amount of info in the (largest) box like when we put info into the
> program. If this is at all possible I don't know...

I believe that is indeed how the size of the box is calculated,
at least theoretically.  That is, it is set to be what is needed to
store the longest text string (in any of the boxes), so boxes
which have shorter names (or whatever) will be "more empty."

The author of that report is not very active these days.

Re: Gramps Zoom Feature

Simon C. Tremblay
If you save as svg, you can use inkscape (multi-platform open source software) to edit the chart. It is all vectors objects and shapes.

I exported a fan chart once and went in and colorized the boxes before saving it as a pdf.

Simon

Le jeu. 27 avr. 2017 à 13:33, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 4/27/17, Josh Stenb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> all! Still, I love Gramps and I'm sure there's a lot to do but may I
> recommend making box length size reduction possible? Maybe automatic based
> on the amount of info in the (largest) box like when we put info into the
> program. If this is at all possible I don't know...

I believe that is indeed how the size of the box is calculated,
at least theoretically.  That is, it is set to be what is needed to
store the longest text string (in any of the boxes), so boxes
which have shorter names (or whatever) will be "more empty."

The author of that report is not very active these days.

Re: Gramps Zoom Feature

Josh Stenb
Paul: It seems that way but to a point. I checked my work several times and all the boxes are shorter. Sorry. I wish! Simon: I'll take a look at inkscape. It sounds interesting. Thanks all!

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Simon C. Tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you save as svg, you can use inkscape (multi-platform open source software) to edit the chart. It is all vectors objects and shapes.

I exported a fan chart once and went in and colorized the boxes before saving it as a pdf.

Simon

Le jeu. 27 avr. 2017 à 13:33, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 4/27/17, Josh Stenb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> all! Still, I love Gramps and I'm sure there's a lot to do but may I
> recommend making box length size reduction possible? Maybe automatic based
> on the amount of info in the (largest) box like when we put info into the
> program. If this is at all possible I don't know...

I believe that is indeed how the size of the box is calculated,
at least theoretically.  That is, it is set to be what is needed to
store the longest text string (in any of the boxes), so boxes
which have shorter names (or whatever) will be "more empty."

The author of that report is not very active these days.

Re: Gramps Zoom Feature

Tony Gordon
Josh

There is an option when printing graphical reports to allow Gramps to select a suitable paper size. Under the Size tab the first option is to "Scale tree to fit:" and there are a number of options available for that. If you hover your mouse over the words "Resize Page to Fit Tree size" you will see an explanation box appear that explains the options. If you pick "Do Not Scale Tree" and then select "Resize Page to Fit Tree size" Gramps will ignore the chosen page size selected under the Paper Options and print to one page and (normally) select a box size that allows all of the text components to fit (at least that is what I have found with ancestor and descendant reports and I have some people with quite long names). Because the page size will vary, this is okay for viewing on screen but may not work so well if you want to print it.

Regards
Tony

On 01/05/17 11:18, Josh Stenb wrote:
Paul: It seems that way but to a point. I checked my work several times and all the boxes are shorter. Sorry. I wish! Simon: I'll take a look at inkscape. It sounds interesting. Thanks all!

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Simon C. Tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you save as svg, you can use inkscape (multi-platform open source software) to edit the chart. It is all vectors objects and shapes.

I exported a fan chart once and went in and colorized the boxes before saving it as a pdf.

Simon

Le jeu. 27 avr. 2017 à 13:33, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 4/27/17, Josh Stenb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> all! Still, I love Gramps and I'm sure there's a lot to do but may I
> recommend making box length size reduction possible? Maybe automatic based
> on the amount of info in the (largest) box like when we put info into the
> program. If this is at all possible I don't know...

I believe that is indeed how the size of the box is calculated,
at least theoretically.  That is, it is set to be what is needed to
store the longest text string (in any of the boxes), so boxes
which have shorter names (or whatever) will be "more empty."

The author of that report is not very active these days.

Re: Gramps Zoom Feature

Josh Stenb
Hi, Tony,

I'm familiar with this and did i after some rather large sizes. It worked best. It was after that I wrote everyone. Sorry! I think I just have a huge tree!

- Joshua