Quantcast

Gramps and installed python on Windows 10

Gramps and installed python on Windows 10

StoltHD
How can I get Gramps 4.x.x and Gramps 5.x.x. to use the installed version of Python and its libraries and packages instead of the embedded version and libraries?

In a desperate trial of getting Gramps 5 to connect to either a mySQL or a Postgresql database (or a Microsoft SQL server)  with the DB-API interface, I have come to the conclution that to use the installed version of python and its libraries, it might be posible to get this to work easier than trying to add some libraries to a "SECRET PLACE" in the embedded Python Library of Gramps.

Re: Gramps and installed python on Windows 10

Ron Johnson
Install from source.  (Which implies manually installing all of the
dependencies, too.)

On 04/28/2017 07:46 AM, StoltHD wrote:

> How can I get Gramps 4.x.x and Gramps 5.x.x. to use the installed version
> of Python and its libraries and packages instead of the embedded version
> and libraries?
>
> In a desperate trial of getting Gramps 5 to connect to either a mySQL or a
> Postgresql database (or a Microsoft SQL server) with the DB-API interface,
> I have come to the conclution that to use the installed version of
> python and its libraries, it might be posible to get this to work easier
> than trying to add some libraries to a "SECRET PLACE" in the embedded
> Python Library of Gramps.

Re: Gramps and installed python on Windows 10

prculley
One of our developers (Josip) just completed a fairly extensive wiki on how to set up for Gramps development on Windows.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_for_Windows_with_MSYS2

If you already have some experience, this should be pretty explanatory.  I learned a few things in this process (like don't mix gcc compiled components with the Microsoft ones; this can result in 'dll hell').

Paul Culley