Gramps app for iPad.

Erik P. Olsen
My brother doesn't own a PC but he has an iPad. Now, there exists an
app named Gramps that apparently is used for genealogy like the PC's
Gramps. I am building our family tree with Gramps on Linux and would
like to share it with my brother. Does anybody on this list know if a
backup from my Linux Gramps can be safely imported to this Gramps app?

Thanks in advance,

--
Erik

Re: Gramps app for iPad.

leander5690
Hello Erik,

I haven’t used Gramps on my iPad, but there is a good app called Heredis.

If you email your exported GEDCOM file to your brother, after he has installed Heredis on his iPad, all he will need to do is tap the file, in the email, and select the option to import it into Heredis. I hope this is of some help.

> On 11 Nov 2017, at 20:49, Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My brother doesn't own a PC but he has an iPad. Now, there exists an
> app named Gramps that apparently is used for genealogy like the PC's
> Gramps. I am building our family tree with Gramps on Linux and would
> like to share it with my brother. Does anybody on this list know if a
> backup from my Linux Gramps can be safely imported to this Gramps app?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Erik

Re: Gramps app for iPad.

Oldest1

Gramps 4.2.6 seems to be available for the iPad at:

https://www.rollapp.com/app/gramps

On 11/11/2017 12:49 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
My brother doesn't own a PC but he has an iPad. Now, there exists an
app named Gramps that apparently is used for genealogy like the PC's
Gramps. I am building our family tree with Gramps on Linux and would
like to share it with my brother. Does anybody on this list know if a
backup from my Linux Gramps can be safely imported to this Gramps app?

Thanks in advance,

NdK

Re: Gramps app for iPad.

NdK
Il 12/11/2017 00:17, leander3 ha scritto:

> If you email your exported GEDCOM file to your brother, after he has
That's OK for "one off" jobs, when you won't need to bring back data:
GEDCOM export is lossy, so if you export your tree to GEDCOM and import
it back in a new tree, you won't get the same details.

For collaborative efforts between Gramps users a "database diff" could
be useful... Maybe a function that only exports changed data. But it's
not trivial...

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: Gramps app for iPad.

Op 12-11-17 om 01:39 schreef [hidden email]:

> Gramps 4.2.6 seems to be available for the iPad at:
>
> https://www.rollapp.com/app/gramps

H'm, looks nice, but if you really want to use it, meaning that you can
write changes to a Dropbox folder, you pay $ 6.99 per month, and you
will still have sync problems with the other person, because the only
things that can be shared in a safe way are Gramps backup files.

In my mind, it's much easier, and free, to put a GEDCOM on Ancestry, and
use that through their app.

Re: Gramps app for iPad.

Oldest1
On 11/12/2017 3:16 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
Op 12-11-17 om 01:39 schreef [hidden email]:

Gramps 4.2.6 seems to be available for the iPad at:

https://www.rollapp.com/app/gramps

H'm, looks nice, but if you really want to use it, meaning that you can write changes to a Dropbox folder, you pay $ 6.99 per month, and you will still have sync problems with the other person, because the only things that can be shared in a safe way are Gramps backup files.
As per their web site,
" When running on rollApp applications behave the same way as if they were installed locally."

I am not a member, though, if I had time to spare, I would try their free service and take a look to see what it takes to make things work and how close their advertising statement is to reality.
Their read-only access refers to only some of the cloud based storage options, nothing is said about using local storage.
If local storage is not accessible, it would be interesting to figure out how Gramps code has been modified to not use local storage :-) and the code ought to be available.

And if local storage can be used, then it would seem to satisfy the stated requirements. ;-)

Arnold

Re: Gramps app for iPad.

enno
Hello Arnold,

> As per their web site,
> " When running on rollApp applications behave the same way as if they
> were installed locally."
OK, let's check the facts then. The real Gramps does not run on Android
or iOS, so if it behaves the same way as if it were installed locally,
you get nothing. It's as simple as that, if you read things that way.

The true meaning of what they're saying is that Gramps runs on their
system, not yours, and on that system Gramps can access whatever storage
they have available. And to make things sort of work for you, their
software makes sure that whenever Gramps shows a window, which is either
the main window or a pop-up, that window is shown as a pop-up in your
browser. That's how it appeared here, so I bet that it looks the same on
your PC, if you try.

I tried this on a tablet too, and it's useless, because my browser
doesn't really like pop-ups, so there is no way to really work with the
Gramps user interface.

> I am not a member, though, if I had time to spare, I would try their
> free service and take a look to see what it takes to make things work
> and how close their advertising statement is to reality.
Well, it sort of works on a PC, if you allow browser pop-ups. I tried that.

> Their read-only access refers to only some of the cloud based storage
> options, nothing is said about using local storage.
Well, since local storage is their storage, it means that your tree sits
on their systems, and you can't copy anything from their storage to your
cloud with a free account, so unless you're happy with the tree sitting
there, it's no use.

> If local storage is not accessible, it would be interesting to figure
> out how Gramps code has been modified to not use local storage :-) and
> the code ought to be available.
See above. Local storage means their storage, and if that's available,
Gramps will run unmodified, on their servers.

> And if local storage can be used, then it would seem to satisfy the
> stated requirements. ;-)
No way. That is because you local does not mean what you think. It would
be quite foolish for them, because if an app could use local storage,
whatever that is on an iPad, there would be no way for them to earn
money, and pay for their servers. It's business, you know.

There is another side on the original story though, and that is that a
company in my country sells an app called Gramps in the iTunes store,
and that is not our Gramps:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gramps/id629159274?mt=8

And as far as I can see, this program can't read Gramps files at all, so
it's just abusing our name.

I'd say that you better forget the idea.

Re: Gramps app for iPad.

Oldest1

Hi Enno,

Thank you for the explanation and the work you put in to test it all.

Fortunately for me, I am in no way trying to use it on a tablet of any kind - don't even have such a 'beast' :-)

My intent was merely to help the original poster and I agree with your analysis, though as it was I could only assume that their language was misleading as far as the 'local' storage goes.

Though I do hope that some time down the road, Gramps will run over the 'net in a multi-user environment ;-)

Arnold