Quantcast

Gramps: boot-up disk vs. installation

mariatapia777
I'd like to see if I can use Gramps on my laptop.  I currently don't have Linux at all.  Gramps doesn't work so well with the csv import on my Microsoft 7 computer.  If I get a boot-up Linux CD would I be able to use Gramps with this condition?  What are the disadvantages if any to have a boot-up disk vs. an installation of Linux?

Re: Gramps: boot-up disk vs. installation

jerome

For a csv import, it should have no difference between Windows OS or
linux, except (maybe?) on encoding, characters, paths or End Of Line
markers.

What is not working well on your csv import?

About advantages "boot-up disk vs. an installation", you will have more
resources and the ability to register advanced configuration options:
physical storage, more memory, etc ...

Le ven. 31 janv. 2014 at 7:59,mariatapia777 <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> I'd like to see if I can use Gramps on my laptop.  I currently don't
> have
> Linux at all.  Gramps doesn't work so well with the csv import on my
> Microsoft 7 computer.  If I get a boot-up Linux CD would I be able to
> use
> Gramps with this condition?  What are the disadvantages if any to
> have a
> boot-up disk vs. an installation of Linux?

Re: Gramps: boot-up disk vs. installation

Maria,
> I'd like to see if I can use Gramps on my laptop.  I currently don't have
> Linux at all.  Gramps doesn't work so well with the csv import on my
> Microsoft 7 computer.
I don't think Linux will change that, because Gramps works exactly the
same on that, except maybe for exotic characters.

CSV import can be quite tricky, and many times the easiest way to work
with it is try an export first, to see what column names you really
need. It's a long time since I did an import myself, but I think Gramps
uses localized column names.

regards,

Re: Gramps: boot-up disk vs. installation

Les Hardy

mariatapia777 <mariatapia777 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Gramps doesn't work so well with the csv import on my
> Microsoft 7 computer.
> --

Try using GenScriber (genscriber.com) to create the csv files.
This free application works similar to a spreadsheet, and it has templates
for the Gramps csv import.

Although I have not seen it documented, You can creat separate csv files for
People, Marriage and Family, and imported them separately.