Gramps connect - status update?

Gramps-2
Hi All,

I just wanted to check do you know what is the status of Gramps Connect project (at http://gramps-connect.org/) I'm trying to open the site but it's not loading at all and pinging it is ok (pointing to brynmawr.edu). So it seems all is ok with the domain but something is wrong with the hosting?!

I really want to run my own gramps connect site, so if someone have any experience with that and want to share with me - that will be really great ;)

Thanks in advance!

OG

Re: Gramps connect - status update?

Paul Kilgo
Hi

I don't know anything about the gramps-connect.org site but maybe someone else knows what the future plans are for that.

The last time I played around with the code base there are a few things I had to do to it to get it running. These are just some basic things that have changed in the Django API in the past few versions that cause some missing imports.

I pushed the commits up to GitHub just for reference. I don't really endorse my changes as I don't really know my way around the Gramps code base.
It seemed to work more or less for me, though I didn't spend that much time with it. It wasn't clear to me that gramps-connect was completely documented or actively maintained so I ultimately decided just to stick with the local app. I've only seen a few commits in its directory in the past half year. It does look like it has a lot of good work behind it though.

It's pretty easy to get a debug server running (and it's documented on the Gramps wiki). Properly running Django sites for production is a little trickier. You should use a proper web server, like Apache or nginx with uWSGI, and database management system, like PostgreSQL or MySQL (usually in that order of preference -- and not sqlite on your production web site). That's probably a little supercharged for what you need out of it, but I figured I'd make it known.

By the way, you can read all about deploying Django web sites at:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/deployment/

I might encourage you to check out some of Gramps' other features, such as generating a static web site ("Narrated Web Site" under the "Reports" menu), as I expect those are more actively maintained. That doesn't really get you the collaboration which I assume you're after but it is pretty nice.

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 5:56 AM, gramps bg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I just wanted to check do you know what is the status of Gramps Connect project (at http://gramps-connect.org/) I'm trying to open the site but it's not loading at all and pinging it is ok (pointing to brynmawr.edu). So it seems all is ok with the domain but something is wrong with the hosting?!

I really want to run my own gramps connect site, so if someone have any experience with that and want to share with me - that will be really great ;)

Thanks in advance!

OG

Paul Kilgo

Re: Gramps connect - status update?

Nick Hall
On 15/06/14 17:25, Paul Kilgo wrote:
> It seemed to work more or less for me, though I didn't spend that much
> time with it. It wasn't clear to me that gramps-connect was completely
> documented or actively maintained so I ultimately decided just to
> stick with the local app. I've only seen a few commits in its
> directory in the past half year. It does look like it has a lot of
> good work behind it though.

Gramps-connect is actively maintained.

Doug Blank is the main developer, and he will probably reply to this
thread when he sees it.

Re: Gramps connect - status update?

Paul Kilgo
Thanks for correcting me there and sorry for any confusion. Gramps-Connect is what I found first and what ultimately led me to start using Gramps. :)

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15/06/14 17:25, Paul Kilgo wrote:
> It seemed to work more or less for me, though I didn't spend that much
> time with it. It wasn't clear to me that gramps-connect was completely
> documented or actively maintained so I ultimately decided just to
> stick with the local app. I've only seen a few commits in its
> directory in the past half year. It does look like it has a lot of
> good work behind it though.

Gramps-connect is actively maintained.

Doug Blank is the main developer, and he will probably reply to this
thread when he sees it.

Paul Kilgo

Re: Gramps connect - status update?

DS Blank
On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15/06/14 17:25, Paul Kilgo wrote:
> It seemed to work more or less for me, though I didn't spend that much
> time with it. It wasn't clear to me that gramps-connect was completely
> documented or actively maintained so I ultimately decided just to
> stick with the local app. I've only seen a few commits in its
> directory in the past half year. It does look like it has a lot of
> good work behind it though.

Gramps-connect is actively maintained.

Doug Blank is the main developer, and he will probably reply to this
thread when he sees it.

Replicating all of gramps via a web interface is a huge job, and isn't done yet. Gramps-connect is the most complete effort to date, but still needs more work.

I'm still hoping some developers will join in. I've been a bit busy in recent months, but maybe this summer will provide some time to make some more progress.

Thanks!

-Doug

On 06/15/2014 05:44 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15/06/14 17:25, Paul Kilgo wrote:
> It seemed to work more or less for me, though I didn't spend that much
> time with it. It wasn't clear to me that gramps-connect was completely
> documented or actively maintained so I ultimately decided just to
> stick with the local app. I've only seen a few commits in its
> directory in the past half year. It does look like it has a lot of
> good work behind it though.

Gramps-connect is actively maintained.

Doug Blank is the main developer, and he will probably reply to this
thread when he sees it.

Replicating all of gramps via a web interface is a huge job, and isn't done yet. Gramps-connect is the most complete effort to date, but still needs more work.

I'm still hoping some developers will join in. I've been a bit busy in recent months, but maybe this summer will provide some time to make some more progress.

Is this a fork, or is it working the main code base towards GEPS 033 & 032?
--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/15/2014 05:44 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 15/06/14 17:25, Paul Kilgo wrote:
> It seemed to work more or less for me, though I didn't spend that much
> time with it. It wasn't clear to me that gramps-connect was completely
> documented or actively maintained so I ultimately decided just to
> stick with the local app. I've only seen a few commits in its
> directory in the past half year. It does look like it has a lot of
> good work behind it though.

Gramps-connect is actively maintained.

Doug Blank is the main developer, and he will probably reply to this
thread when he sees it.

Replicating all of gramps via a web interface is a huge job, and isn't done yet. Gramps-connect is the most complete effort to date, but still needs more work.

I'm still hoping some developers will join in. I've been a bit busy in recent months, but maybe this summer will provide some time to make some more progress.

Is this a fork, or is it working the main code base towards GEPS 033 & 032?

Main code base, in gramps/webapp. This is Gramps GEPS 013 [1], and is separate from those two proposals. The webapp implements the standard Gramps DB API with a Django backend. It might be possible to use that implementation for Gtk gramps, but that isn't the goal of 013.

-Doug

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?