Gramps cuts OCCU in two parts

Anton Huber
Hi,
i use gramps for my ancestry since a few years. But now, there's a problem:
When I want to export the gedcom file and import it in another genealogy
program, there are "cuts":
1 OCCU Kleingütlersson beim Neumayr in Hirblingen bei Gersthofen, Knecht in
Zor
2 CONC neding, Feldkirchen und Ottendichl

The other programs don't accept "CONC" and so only a part of the Occupation is
transformed into the new file.
How can I change this one?

Best regards,

Anton

Re: Gramps cuts OCCU in two parts

Gerald Britton-2
CONC means Concatenation.  See:

If your other program doesn't support it, you'll have to get the maintainers of that program to fix it.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Anton Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
i use gramps for my ancestry since a few years. But now, there's a problem:
When I want to export the gedcom file and import it in another genealogy
program, there are "cuts":
1 OCCU Kleingütlersson beim Neumayr in Hirblingen bei Gersthofen, Knecht in
Zor
2 CONC neding, Feldkirchen und Ottendichl

The other programs don't accept "CONC" and so only a part of the Occupation is
transformed into the new file.
How can I change this one?

Best regards,

Anton

Gerald Britton

Re: Gramps cuts OCCU in two parts

Anton Huber
Hi,
thanks for your answer!
I read a year ago also a message in this list and i got a Workaround, so i can
change it in gramps, that there is no conc anymore.
Do you know how i can change it?

Best regards,

Anton Huber

Am Samstag 08 August 2009 15:13:38 schrieb Gerald Britton:

> CONC means Concatenation.  See:
> http://genealogy.about.com/library/weekly/aa110100d.htm
>
> If your other program doesn't support it, you'll have to get the
> maintainers of that program to fix it.
>
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Anton Huber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i use gramps for my ancestry since a few years. But now, there's a
> > problem: When I want to export the gedcom file and import it in another
> > genealogy program, there are "cuts":
> > 1 OCCU Kleingütlersson beim Neumayr in Hirblingen bei Gersthofen, Knecht
> > in Zor
> > 2 CONC neding, Feldkirchen und Ottendichl
> >
> > The other programs don't accept "CONC" and so only a part of the
> > Occupation is
> > transformed into the new file.
> > How can I change this one?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Anton

Re: Gramps cuts OCCU in two parts

DS Blank
You might also just open up the GEDCOM file and try deleting "# CONC", and moving the rest of the line to the previous one. It might be that the other program can read really long lines.

You could also do this with a single command under Linux, using the sed program.

-Doug

2009/8/8 Anton Huber <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
> thanks for your answer!
> I read a year ago also a message in this list and i got a Workaround, so i can
> change it in gramps, that there is no conc anymore.
> Do you know how i can change it?

In linux, you can try to change with a regex a OCCU + text + newline +
number + CONC + text by OCCU + text + text, hoping it fixes the issue.
Eg, kate can do regex search and replace which can handle this ok (as
sed does from the command line).

The other alternative is to hack the gedcom exporter so that it does
not write out the CONC lines by increasing the allowed line length.
See plugins/export/ExportGedcom.py, where the method
  def __writeln(......., limit=72):

If you set limit=200, only lines longer than 200 will be split and
have a CONC token added.