[Gramps-devel] Sample Ancestor Report

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Gramps-devel] Sample Ancestor Report

Don Allingham
I've just posted a sample of the Ancestor Report that I have been
working on. The starting point for this report was the Detailed Ancestor
Report written by Bruce DeGrasse.

I'd appreciate any comments. The sample can be downloaded at
http://gramps-project.org/files/ancestor_report.pdf

Don

--
Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sample Ancestor Report

Durand Daniel
Le Mardi 8 Novembre 2005 05:49, Don Allingham a écrit :
> I've just posted a sample of the Ancestor Report that I have been
> working on. The starting point for this report was the Detailed Ancestor
> Report written by Bruce DeGrasse.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments. The sample can be downloaded at
> http://gramps-project.org/files/ancestor_report.pdf
>

Don,

It's a good starting document. It's enough detailed. I'm appreciating the
Ahnentafel numeration;
I think that it's important to add sources citations for any events with the
choice in report preferences to put it at the end of any generation or at the
end of the file.
I think also that we can in report preferences the ability to add an name
index.
So, it's possible, I suppose, to choice the number of generation to display...
Thanks again, Don, for this first new report.

Daniel Durand - France

--
Cordialement,

Durand Daniel
http://durand-amd.net


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sample Ancestor Report

Theo Carr-Brion
In reply to this post by Don Allingham
Don,

I have lots of people with a christening date but do date of birth. Would it
be possible to work this in to the report for each person where there is no
birth date. On many reports the only option is to put about 1750 or before
13/7/1750 on the report where 1750 is just guessed from the christening date.
I would rather not intoduce made up data just to get some sort of date on the
report. Someone might think there was better evidence for the date of birth
than there was.

Theo Carr-Brion

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 04:49, Don Allingham wrote:
> I've just posted a sample of the Ancestor Report that I have been
> working on. The starting point for this report was the Detailed Ancestor
> Report written by Bruce DeGrasse.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments. The sample can be downloaded at
> http://gramps-project.org/files/ancestor_report.pdf
>
> Don


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

http://www.frappr.com Ancestor Report

Thomas Weichmann
In reply to this post by Don Allingham
Now if GRAMPS could find a way to export data on where all your ancestors are
from and plot them on a http://www.frappr.com (or equiv) map....

I think that would be really great!!


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sample Ancestor Report

Adam Stein
In reply to this post by Durand Daniel
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 00:49, Durand Daniel wrote:

> Le Mardi 8 Novembre 2005 05:49, Don Allingham a écrit :
> > I've just posted a sample of the Ancestor Report that I have been
> > working on. The starting point for this report was the Detailed Ancestor
> > Report written by Bruce DeGrasse.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any comments. The sample can be downloaded at
> > http://gramps-project.org/files/ancestor_report.pdf
> >
>
> Don,
>
> It's a good starting document. It's enough detailed. I'm appreciating the
> Ahnentafel numeration;
> I think that it's important to add sources citations for any events with the
> choice in report preferences to put it at the end of any generation or at the
> end of the file.
> I think also that we can in report preferences the ability to add an name
> index.
> So, it's possible, I suppose, to choice the number of generation to display...
> Thanks again, Don, for this first new report.

I would also like to see pictures from the Gallery used with the title
of the picture used as a caption (assuming an image is available for a
particular individual).  If there are multiple Gallery pictures, should
just use the first one (the same one that is shown as an individual's
main photo).
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer: Any/All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: http://www.frappr.com Ancestor Report

Martin Hawlisch
In reply to this post by Thomas Weichmann
Tom,

> Von: Tom Weichmann <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: [Gramps-users] http://www.frappr.com Ancestor Report
>
> Now if GRAMPS could find a way to export data on where all your ancestors
> are
> >from and plot them on a http://www.frappr.com (or equiv) map....
>
> I think that would be really great!!

This is not a new idea. I was braining about this some time ago.

A custom google map is simple to create. You only have to know some HTML and
JavaScript (but easy adaplable examples exist), and you have to register an
account for that map (which requires you to know the URL where the page will
be published).
A GRAMPS plugin that exports the places into the required XML should not be
too difficult to do. Only problem is the lack of manpower in the development
team.

The biggest problems are:
Each place has to be exactly defined in coordinates, and those have to be
put into GRAMPS in a well defined format.
It is not possible to automatically retrieve the coordinates for a given
place. For example guess how many towns in germany have the name "Neustadt".
Well, you could say that you entered county, state and country names... but
did use the full names? Abbrevations? And in what language? So this big task
is up to the user: Search somewhere to get the coordinates.
But: there are multiple formats used for defining coordinates. Gramps could
implement the most common ones to verify the input (problem: lack of
manpower in development team).

Any volunteers?


Cheers,
  Martin.


--
Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX superg?nstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate f?r nur 4,99 Euro/Monat*  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sample Ancestor Report

Bruce DeGrasse
In reply to this post by Don Allingham
Don, of course I think the report looks great.  By the way, I have
experimented with an index addition to the report.  It includes the number
and name for easy reference, example follows.  I have found this to be very
handy for large reports.

Index example:
                Index for XX Report
1. Lewis Anderson Garner (possibly birth and death dates)
2. Robert W. Garner
3. Phoebe Emily Zielinski
        .
        .
        .

I also think a rich set of options will add to the report feature.

Bruce


 On Monday 07 November 2005 10:49 pm, Don Allingham wrote:
> I've just posted a sample of the Ancestor Report that I have been
> working on. The starting point for this report was the Detailed Ancestor
> Report written by Bruce DeGrasse.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments. The sample can be downloaded at
> http://gramps-project.org/files/ancestor_report.pdf
>
> Don


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sample Ancestor Report

Don Allingham
This would be great.

So far, about the only major changes I've made are related to
internationalizing the strings. We are trying to move to common strings
between the reports to reduce the translation effort.

Don


Bruce DeGrasse wrote:

> Don, of course I think the report looks great.  By the way, I have
> experimented with an index addition to the report.  It includes the number
> and name for easy reference, example follows.  I have found this to be very
> handy for large reports.
>
> Index example:
> Index for XX Report
> 1. Lewis Anderson Garner (possibly birth and death dates)
> 2. Robert W. Garner
> 3. Phoebe Emily Zielinski
> .
> .
> .
>
> I also think a rich set of options will add to the report feature.
>
> Bruce
>
>
>  On Monday 07 November 2005 10:49 pm, Don Allingham wrote:
>
>>I've just posted a sample of the Ancestor Report that I have been
>>working on. The starting point for this report was the Detailed Ancestor
>>Report written by Bruce DeGrasse.
>>
>>I'd appreciate any comments. The sample can be downloaded at
>>http://gramps-project.org/files/ancestor_report.pdf
>>
>>Don
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> SF.Net email is sponsored by:
> Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
> it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
> Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sample Ancestor Report

Jim Winfrey
In reply to this post by Don Allingham
In analyzing a report, we need to think about what a report is.
Generally, it is a way to share our information with other people.  So
the report needs to contain information that these other people need.
I really like this report because it meets these needs.  The only
thing that would improve it for my needs is to include the spouses of
the children in each generation.

Jim

On 11/7/05, Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just posted a sample of the Ancestor Report that I have been
> working on. The starting point for this report was the Detailed Ancestor
> Report written by Bruce DeGrasse.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments. The sample can be downloaded at
> http://gramps-project.org/files/ancestor_report.pdf
>
> Don
>
> --
> Don Allingham
> http://don.allingham.org
>
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQBDcC5cO+d2KKbE9WsRAljoAJwK1s2aQTjN4+L4XP5fKrJeginG5wCg4DXO
> PiASYOXKjpSw5RCWtCt0vus=
> =e0Uw
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
>


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: http://www.frappr.com Ancestor Report

Doug Laidlaw
In reply to this post by Martin Hawlisch
I haven't taken it that far, but I have given surfers the opportunity to place
themselves: http://www.douglaidlaw.net/boykett/  My map is from Bravenet.

Legacy gives the author the opportunity to download and use a GeoLocation
database.  I believe that other programs do the same.  That would give you
the data.  It would then be a question of extracting it. and feeding it to
the mapping program, which raises the additional considerations you
mentioned.  Using the same database in both places would help, but then the
plugin might work only for the one database (for example Legacy's).  A
publicly available database would be better.  I don't know about the multiple
place-names: perhaps make the plugin skip ambiguous ones.

Don't ask me to do it; I am not qualified.

Doug.

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 1:26 am, Martin Hawlisch wrote:

> Tom,
>
> > Von: Tom Weichmann <[hidden email]>
> > Betreff: [Gramps-users] http://www.frappr.com Ancestor Report
> >
> > Now if GRAMPS could find a way to export data on where all your ancestors
> > are
> >
> > >from and plot them on a http://www.frappr.com (or equiv) map....
> >
> > I think that would be really great!!
>
> This is not a new idea. I was braining about this some time ago.
>
> A custom google map is simple to create. You only have to know some HTML
> and JavaScript (but easy adaplable examples exist), and you have to
> register an account for that map (which requires you to know the URL where
> the page will be published).
> A GRAMPS plugin that exports the places into the required XML should not be
> too difficult to do. Only problem is the lack of manpower in the
> development team.
>
> The biggest problems are:
> Each place has to be exactly defined in coordinates, and those have to be
> put into GRAMPS in a well defined format.
> It is not possible to automatically retrieve the coordinates for a given
> place. For example guess how many towns in germany have the name
> "Neustadt". Well, you could say that you entered county, state and country
> names... but did use the full names? Abbrevations? And in what language? So
> this big task is up to the user: Search somewhere to get the coordinates.
> But: there are multiple formats used for defining coordinates. Gramps could
> implement the most common ones to verify the input (problem: lack of
> manpower in development team).
>
> Any volunteers?
>
>
> Cheers,
>   Martin.

--
ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
Laughter is healing ... it washes away the pain.
        - a sufferer from breast cancer.


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Tame your development challenges with Apache's Geronimo App Server. Download
it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv or your very own
Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play: http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users