[Gramps-devel] Using <> for ambiguity

Don Allingham
We've had a request to support dates in the format of "<1900>" to
indicate ambiguity. The question comes up: Is this a common practice
that should be supported in GRAMPS?

If so, what does <1900> mean?

1) about 1900
2) estimated 1900
3) calculated 1900
4) Something else?

Don

[Gramps-devel] Re: Using <> for ambiguity

ant-14
Hello Don,

     <1900> seems meaningless to me, I'd need to read the manual to see
what you'd decided it meant!

     I would prefer
 app 1900 for approximately,
 1900? if I was unsure,
 before 1900,
 after 1900.

Regards Ant

* Don't let the EU rule Britannia - no I.D.cards, no National Database! *

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Don Allingham wrote:

> We've had a request to support dates in the format of "<1900>" to
> indicate ambiguity. The question comes up: Is this a common practice
> that should be supported in GRAMPS?
>
> If so, what does <1900> mean?
>
> 1) about 1900
> 2) estimated 1900
> 3) calculated 1900
> 4) Something else?
>
> Don

Re: [Gramps-devel] Using <> for ambiguity

Don Allingham
I think I need to clarify the original question.

GRAMPS supports many methods of indicating ambiguity. We do not intend
on removing any of these existing mechanism. The question was if the <>
brackets should be supported in addition to the other methods, and if
so, does it mean "About", "Estimated", or "Calculated".

Don