Gramps does not start from desktop

Kees

Dear fellow users,

At the end of installing GrampsAIO-3.3.0-2, which gave no problems, Gramps starts up nicely. But when ending the program and double clicking either of the 2 (why 2?) desktop icons Gramps doesn’t start up anymore. I just see a DOS-window for a second and that’s it.

I also tried to start Python or Pythonw from the Explorer, because that’s where the desktp shortcuts refer to, or by double clicking a GED-file, but without result.

What should I do to get it working?

I run Windows XP prof., service pack 3 on an AMD Athlon 64 processor.

Thanks for helping me out,

Kees

Re: Gramps does not start from desktop

Helge@Gramps
Hi Kees,

I would like to suggest to copy the content of the link using Python (not pythonw) into a batch file having a "pause" at the end.
I'm not sure, but it could be necessary too to jump to the right directory (using CD command) at the beginning of the batch:
  CD "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO\bin"
  "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO\bin\python.exe" ..\share\gramps\gramps.py
  pause

I hope we get more information using this batch

-Helge

PS: Normally there is no automatic reference from Gramps to a .GED file

Re: Gramps does not start from desktop

Helge@Gramps
Hi Kees,

well I run Gramps on Win7 64 bit. There is no problem using the default short cuts. But I never tried to run the installation on an other target drive. Is D: your Windows-drive?
But at the end I don't see any relevant difference between your short cut and your batch too.

Comment concerning PAUSE: I like this statement at the end to see all special outputs if some thing happens.

GED: So far I know the installer will not add Gramps to the file extend .GED. And I think that doesn't be a good idea because Gramps uses GED files by import.
(I don't prefer GED because there are less information than hold by the Gramps native database.)
Regards
-Helge

PS: I think it would be nice if starting here a thread also to reply to it...