Gramps - file size...

zed

Gramps - file size...

zed
Hi!

For many years I have been using Family Historian <Windows only> genealogy
program.  It is the only Windows program I now use and I have it running on
VirtualBox. To me it is the best genealogy program on the market - and I've
tried most of them.

However, in the spirit of wanting nothing to do with Windows - I use
LinuxMint for all my other computing needs - I've decided that Gramps should
be able to meet my needs, and transferred my GEDCOM files over.  All went
well!

However, I'm rather perplexed at the difference in file sizes.  In Family
Historian, the program and the Gedcom file total 25.87MB.  The Gramps file
in .gramps is a massive 83.9MB, some 3.4 times larger.

My questions are:  "What causes the difference?  Is this normal?

Zed
--
Zed
Bother!"" said Pooh, as he tried to install Windows

Re: Gramps - file size...

Martin Ewing
You could check in .gramps/grampdb/<id_number>/ directory for .log
files.  You seem to get a new 10 MB log file each time you fire up
gramps for each separate database.  At least that's how it's working
for me on Ubuntu Maverick.

Older log files seem to be unnecessary, but gramps never deletes them.
 What a pain!  Could someone comment on why those files hang around
forever?  Can't they be purged routinely?

Martin

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> For many years I have been using Family Historian <Windows only> genealogy
> program.  It is the only Windows program I now use and I have it running on
> VirtualBox. To me it is the best genealogy program on the market - and I've
> tried most of them.
>
> However, in the spirit of wanting nothing to do with Windows - I use
> LinuxMint for all my other computing needs - I've decided that Gramps should
> be able to meet my needs, and transferred my GEDCOM files over.  All went
> well!
>
> However, I'm rather perplexed at the difference in file sizes.  In Family
> Historian, the program and the Gedcom file total 25.87MB.  The Gramps file
> in .gramps is a massive 83.9MB, some 3.4 times larger.
>
> My questions are:  "What causes the difference?  Is this normal?
>
> Zed
> --
> Zed
> Bother!"" said Pooh, as he tried to install Windows

Martin Ewing
Branford, Connecticut

Re: Gramps - file size...

Peter Landgren
Hi,

Unnecessary log files are deleted now.
Since version 3.2.x. Don't remember which release.

/Peter

> You could check in .gramps/grampdb/<id_number>/ directory for .log
> files.  You seem to get a new 10 MB log file each time you fire up
> gramps for each separate database.  At least that's how it's working
> for me on Ubuntu Maverick.
>
> Older log files seem to be unnecessary, but gramps never deletes them.
>  What a pain!  Could someone comment on why those files hang around
> forever?  Can't they be purged routinely?
>
> Martin
>
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > For many years I have been using Family Historian <Windows only>
> > genealogy program.  It is the only Windows program I now use and I have
> > it running on VirtualBox. To me it is the best genealogy program on the
> > market - and I've tried most of them.
> >
> > However, in the spirit of wanting nothing to do with Windows - I use
> > LinuxMint for all my other computing needs - I've decided that Gramps
> > should be able to meet my needs, and transferred my GEDCOM files over.
> >  All went well!
> >
> > However, I'm rather perplexed at the difference in file sizes.  In Family
> > Historian, the program and the Gedcom file total 25.87MB.  The Gramps
> > file in .gramps is a massive 83.9MB, some 3.4 times larger.
> >
> > My questions are:  "What causes the difference?  Is this normal?
> >
> > Zed
> > --
> > Zed
> > Bother!"" said Pooh, as he tried to install Windows

Re: Gramps - file size...

> Older log files seem to be unnecessary, but gramps never deletes them.
>  What a pain!  Could someone comment on why those files hang around
> forever?  Can't they be purged routinely?

Gramps should purge unnecessary log files since last stable releases!
What is your gramps version ?

Regards,
Jérôme

Martin Ewing a écrit :

> You could check in .gramps/grampdb/<id_number>/ directory for .log
> files.  You seem to get a new 10 MB log file each time you fire up
> gramps for each separate database.  At least that's how it's working
> for me on Ubuntu Maverick.
>
> Older log files seem to be unnecessary, but gramps never deletes them.
>  What a pain!  Could someone comment on why those files hang around
> forever?  Can't they be purged routinely?
>
> Martin
>
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> For many years I have been using Family Historian <Windows only> genealogy
>> program.  It is the only Windows program I now use and I have it running on
>> VirtualBox. To me it is the best genealogy program on the market - and I've
>> tried most of them.
>>
>> However, in the spirit of wanting nothing to do with Windows - I use
>> LinuxMint for all my other computing needs - I've decided that Gramps should
>> be able to meet my needs, and transferred my GEDCOM files over.  All went
>> well!
>>
>> However, I'm rather perplexed at the difference in file sizes.  In Family
>> Historian, the program and the Gedcom file total 25.87MB.  The Gramps file
>> in .gramps is a massive 83.9MB, some 3.4 times larger.
>>
>> My questions are:  "What causes the difference?  Is this normal?
>>
>> Zed
>> --
>> Zed
>> Bother!"" said Pooh, as he tried to install Windows

Re: Gramps - file size...

Martin Ewing
I am running 3.2.3-1 from the current Ubuntu Maverick repo.  When did
the logging change happen?

Is it worth it to deviate from the Ubuntu repo to get this new
feature?  I will have to think about it!

Martin

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Older log files seem to be unnecessary, but gramps never deletes them.
>>  What a pain!  Could someone comment on why those files hang around
>> forever?  Can't they be purged routinely?
>
> Gramps should purge unnecessary log files since last stable releases!
> What is your gramps version ?
>

> Regards,
> Jérôme
>

> Martin Ewing a écrit :
>>
>> You could check in .gramps/grampdb/<id_number>/ directory for .log
>> files.  You seem to get a new 10 MB log file each time you fire up
>> gramps for each separate database.  At least that's how it's working
>> for me on Ubuntu Maverick.
>>
>> Older log files seem to be unnecessary, but gramps never deletes them.
>>  What a pain!  Could someone comment on why those files hang around
>> forever?  Can't they be purged routinely?
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> For many years I have been using Family Historian <Windows only>
>>> genealogy
>>> program.  It is the only Windows program I now use and I have it running
>>> on
>>> VirtualBox. To me it is the best genealogy program on the market - and
>>> I've
>>> tried most of them.
>>>
>>> However, in the spirit of wanting nothing to do with Windows - I use
>>> LinuxMint for all my other computing needs - I've decided that Gramps
>>> should
>>> be able to meet my needs, and transferred my GEDCOM files over.  All went
>>> well!
>>>
>>> However, I'm rather perplexed at the difference in file sizes.  In Family
>>> Historian, the program and the Gedcom file total 25.87MB.  The Gramps
>>> file
>>> in .gramps is a massive 83.9MB, some 3.4 times larger.
>>>
>>> My questions are:  "What causes the difference?  Is this normal?
>>>
>>> Zed
>>> --
>>> Zed
>>> Bother!"" said Pooh, as he tried to install Windows

Martin Ewing
Branford, Connecticut

Re: Gramps - file size...

Duncan Lithgow-5
On 23 April 2011 18:43, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it worth it to deviate from the Ubuntu repo to get this new
> feature?  I will have to think about it!

I've always fetched the latest release manually, many of the devs run
Ubuntu, so they'd know if there was a problem.

Duncan

--
'The unconsidered life is not worth living' - Socrates

Re: Gramps - file size...

jerome
Fixed in 3.2.4 ...
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4045

Martin,

You can install 3.2.5 under Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 via the .deb packages available under the sourceforge host:

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Manual_download_and_install_of_GRAMPS

> > Is it worth it to deviate from the Ubuntu repo to get
> this new
> > feature?  I will have to think about it!
>
> I've always fetched the latest release manually, many of
> the devs run
> Ubuntu, so they'd know if there was a problem.
>
> Duncan
>
> --
> 'The unconsidered life is not worth living' - Socrates

> Fulfilling the Lean Software Promise
> Lean software platforms are now widely adopted and the
> benefits have been
> demonstrated beyond question. Learn why your peers are
> replacing JEE
> containers with lightweight application servers - and what
> you can gain
> from the move. http://p.sf.net/sfu/vmware-sfemails

Re: Gramps - file size...

Martin Ewing
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:40 PM, jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fixed in 3.2.4 ...
> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4045
>
> Martin,
>
> You can install 3.2.5 under Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 via the .deb packages available under the sourceforge host:
>
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Manual_download_and_install_of_GRAMPS

Thanks.  I have installed the latest version, and the log file
explosion has stopped.  However, the new gramps does not seem to purge
the old/useless log files.   So I did that manually.  Stupidly, I
thought log files were log files and would not have critical data.  So
I deleted them all.  Gramps says "YIKES! database error" (words to
that effect).  So I restored the latest log file versions from backup.
 (You do have backups, don't you?)  All now seems well.  But I wonder
how many users are unknowingly carrying around GB-sized .gramps
folders.

The reason I was reluctant to move away from the Ubuntu repo version
is that life gets too complicated if I have many applications that are
all on their own (non-repo) update schedules.  Repositories are there
for a purpose!

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Ewing
Branford, Connecticut

Re: Gramps - file size...

Michael Lightfoot-2
On Sunday 24 April 2011 05:38:47 Martin Ewing wrote:
> But I wonder
> how many users are unknowingly carrying around GB-sized .gramps
> folders.

I ventured into my .gramps directory looking for any nasty surprises.  What I
did find was an env directory which appeared to be the result of some exports 3
years ago.

Is it OK to remove the log files below ~/.gramps/env?  There does not appear to
be anything other than log files in that hierarchy.

--
====
Michael Lightfoot

Re: Gramps - file size...

Paul Franklin-5
On 4/23/11, Martin Ewing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The reason I was reluctant to move away from the Ubuntu repo version
> is that life gets too complicated if I have many applications that are
> all on their own (non-repo) update schedules.  Repositories are there
> for a purpose!

I only run Ubuntu a few times a year and therefore should
not be considered any sort of authoritative source, and I
don't know how Ubuntu decides what it should update,
so I merely note that gramps 3.2.5 seems to be in:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gramps/

Re: Gramps - file size...

Duncan Lithgow-5
3.2.3 is in Ubuntu 10.10 and 3.2.5 is in Ubuntu 11.04, see
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gramps

Duncan

2011/4/24 Michael Lightfoot <[hidden email]>
On Sunday 24 April 2011 05:38:47 Martin Ewing wrote:
> But I wonder
> how many users are unknowingly carrying around GB-sized .gramps
> folders.

I ventured into my .gramps directory looking for any nasty surprises.  What I
did find was an env directory which appeared to be the result of some exports 3
years ago.

Is it OK to remove the log files below ~/.gramps/env?  There does not appear to
be anything other than log files in that hierarchy.

If you have old .grdb files, you need this /env directory to open them, as that is the place where the database log of the .grdb files was stored.
In case you delete the log files and you needed them, there are database tools to retrieve the last good data as present in the database, so without the log files, see http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_family_tree

If you keep .gramps backups, then you have everything in readable format, and you can always safely delete things.

====
Michael Lightfoot
Canberra, Australia
[hidden email]