Gramps freezes when closing laptop lid in windows 10

Gramps freezes when closing laptop lid in windows 10

Hans Ulrich Frink-2
Hi all
My Gramps AiO64 freezes when closing laptop lid in windows 10, September update. After opening the lid again, all other software works well, except gramps. It shows the same screen but doesn't run.
Shall I file a bug report?
Cheers
Uli

Re: Gramps freezes when closing laptop lid in windows 10

Dave Scheipers
Hi Uli

I remembered seeing this bug report

Do not know if it exactly your problem that you can add information or
create a new report.

Dave

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 5:54 AM Hans Ulrich Frink
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
> My Gramps AiO64 freezes when closing laptop lid in windows 10, September update. After opening the lid again, all other software works well, except gramps. It shows the same screen but doesn't run.
> Shall I file a bug report?
> Cheers
> Uli

Re: Gramps freezes when closing laptop lid in windows 10

prculley
One possibility is the autobackup issue another user reported.  This would tend to occur after a long sleep period, with autobackup settings that require a backup when the laptop wakes up.  Gramps would appear unresponsive during the backup.  Of course the backup should finish after a bit, depending on db size.

Another possibility is if Gramps has additional dialogs open when put to sleep, the open dialog might be getting hidden behind Gramps.  Gramps on Windows has an unfortunate tendency to lose the stacking order when unusual Windows events occur.  If this is the case, using the 'esc' key to cancel any hidden open dialogs might close them and allow normal operation to begin.

Paul C.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
> My Gramps AiO64 freezes when closing laptop lid in windows 10, September update. After opening the lid again, all other software works well, except gramps. It shows the same screen but doesn't run.
> Shall I file a bug report?
> Cheers
> Uli

Re: Gramps freezes when closing laptop lid in

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I filed the original Slowdown on Windows Wake report.

Paul's suggestions are quite helpful. Too much is happening in Windows upon wake after a forced hibernate for the Gramps auto-backup to also fire off. The delay patch referenced in the report helped.

Also, I had a fair number of times that a modal dialog was restacked under other Gramps Windows, giving the false appearance of Gramps freeze-up. Try swapping active Windows applications with the Alt-Tab before using ESC to cancel open floating Gramps windows. Swapping back to Gramps tends re-stack the floating Windows.

And what was the September release? Version 5.0.0 was July. Version 5.0.1 resolved a number of growing pains in December. (Highly recommend 5.0.1 for the non-adventurous computer user!) I haven't yet installed 5.0.2, which was posted earlier this month.

-Brian

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 8:20, Paul Culley