Gramps hacks my exported Gedcom file

Anton Huber
Hello,
i have a big problem with gramps:
Using an exported gedcom file (by gramps) in another genealogy program I found
gramps is hacking occupations into two parts:

in Gramps:
Tochter des Michael Keininger (?, oder Kiesinger?) Schneider von Hohenlinden
und Anna geb. Mair

in Gedcom:
1 OCCU Tochter des Michael Keininger (?, oder Kiesinger?) Schneider von
Hohenli
2 CONC nden und Anna geb. Mair

Could you help me?

Best regards

Anton

Re: Gramps hacks my exported Gedcom file

Peter Landgren
Den Saturday 01 November 2008 10.36.07 skrev Anton Huber:

> Hello,
> i have a big problem with gramps:
> Using an exported gedcom file (by gramps) in another genealogy program I
> found gramps is hacking occupations into two parts:
>
> in Gramps:
> Tochter des Michael Keininger (?, oder Kiesinger?) Schneider von
> Hohenlinden und Anna geb. Mair
>
> in Gedcom:
> 1 OCCU Tochter des Michael Keininger (?, oder Kiesinger?) Schneider von
> Hohenli
> 2 CONC nden und Anna geb. Mair
>
> Could you help me?

 Anton,

I think is has to with the fact that GEDCOM cannot handle longer lines that 80 characters,
and that includes the "1 OCCU ". So therefor GRAMPS split such lines into two or more.
The GEDCOM importer in the other genealogy program should concatenate  the two lines and
restore it to the original line. "CONC" indicates that the line is a continuation of the
previous line.

/Peter

Re: Gramps hacks my exported Gedcom file

Gary Burton
>I think is has to with the fact that GEDCOM cannot handle longer lines that 80 characters,

The GEDCOM standard says that the total length of a line, including tags, levels, delimiter and data must not exceed a limit no greater than 255 characters and that CONT or CONC tags must be used to split lines that exceed the limit. The GEDCOM standard does not specify what the actual line limit should be, only that it should not exceed 255 characters. Gramps chooses to make line fit inside 80 characters.

Any genealogy system that reads GEDCOM should be able to reconstruct the original data from lines split with CONT or CONC continuation tags.

The difference between CONT or CONC lies in whether the line terminating character (newline/carriage return) should be preserved in the data. CONT preserves the character, CONC does not.

For information on the standard, read:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gedcom#GEDCOM_References

Bye

Gary

Re: Gramps hacks my exported Gedcom file

Douglas S. Blank
Of course, GRAMPS can be altered to make it do whatever you want. It looks
like you can change GRAMPS with the following:

1) Find the file GrampsDbUtils/_WriteGedcom.py

2) Change the line:

def __writeln(self, level, token, textlines="", limit=72):

to make 72 another value. For example, you could change it to 255, or to
None (for no limit).

-Doug