Quantcast

Gramps inside Dropbox

Peter Kidd
I know that various versions of this question have been asked and
answered before, but (i) I don't fully understand the answers that
have been given, and (ii) I think my needs are a little different from
those of the people who asked previously.

I know that some people want to use Gramps from a shared/networked
location so that they can use a single Gramps database on different
machines (e.g. laptop at the library, desktop at home). The usual
response is that this is dangerous, because small differences in
Gramps version or OS version can cause problems.

I would like to run Gramps from inside Dropbox for two rather
different, but I think important, reasons:

(i) Dropbox keeps multiple backups, going back 30 days, so if I
realise (within a month) that I've done something dumb, or corrupted
my database, I can roll back to one of the earlier versions.

(ii) Because I experiment with different software, and tinker in
various ways to refine my system, I occasionally run into problems and
decide to do a clean (re)install of the OS (I use Ubuntu, but have
also experimented with Debian and Mint). I know that I can keep my
/home folder intact from one OS version to the next, but sometimes I
need to start afresh, and in these cases it would save me a lot of
hassle if Gramps were not buried, hidden, inside the /home folder.
There are other situations in which I might want to keep Gramps
separate from the /home folder: for example, for a while I had a small
but fast harddrive which I used just for the OS, and kept all my data
on another, larger but slower HD.

So, can anyone tell me if I can move all the necessary files into
Dropbox folder, and if so, in a newbie-friendly step-by-step way
(suitable for adding to the wiki), how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: Gramps inside Dropbox

Ron Johnson
On 04/28/2012 10:18 AM, Peter Kidd wrote:
[snip]
> (i) Dropbox keeps multiple backups, going back 30 days, so if I
> realise (within a month) that I've done something dumb, or corrupted
> my database, I can roll back to one of the earlier versions.

USB hard drives FTW!!!

[snip]
> also experimented with Debian and Mint). I know that I can keep my
> /home folder intact from one OS version to the next, but sometimes I
> need to start afresh,

/home should be on it's own partition.  That way, a fresh start (which
we've all done on occasion) is just for the OS not your data.

[snip]

> There are other situations in which I might want to keep Gramps
> separate from the /home folder: for example, for a while I had a small
> but fast harddrive which I used just for the OS, and kept all my data
> on another, larger but slower HD.

Seriously: partitioning is your friend.  This is what has been
successful for me for many, many years across multiple installs of
Mandrake, Debian and Ubuntu:
/      50GB
/home  50GB
/swap   8GB
/Data  balance of HDD.

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental

Re: Gramps inside Dropbox

DS Blank
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Peter Kidd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know that various versions of this question have been asked and
> answered before, but (i) I don't fully understand the answers that
> have been given, and (ii) I think my needs are a little different from
> those of the people who asked previously.
>
> I know that some people want to use Gramps from a shared/networked
> location so that they can use a single Gramps database on different
> machines (e.g. laptop at the library, desktop at home). The usual
> response is that this is dangerous, because small differences in
> Gramps version or OS version can cause problems.

Yes, I think that is the only problem, in a nutshell.

> I would like to run Gramps from inside Dropbox for two rather
> different, but I think important, reasons:
>
> (i) Dropbox keeps multiple backups, going back 30 days, so if I
> realise (within a month) that I've done something dumb, or corrupted
> my database, I can roll back to one of the earlier versions.

Yes, backups of the database are important. But what is more important
(IMHO) is that you have backups of Gramps XML exports. You will always
be able to read those, but it is not guaranteed that you'll be able to
match the right DB software to read an old BSDDB database backup.

> (ii) Because I experiment with different software, and tinker in
> various ways to refine my system, I occasionally run into problems and
> decide to do a clean (re)install of the OS (I use Ubuntu, but have
> also experimented with Debian and Mint). I know that I can keep my
> /home folder intact from one OS version to the next, but sometimes I
> need to start afresh, and in these cases it would save me a lot of
> hassle if Gramps were not buried, hidden, inside the /home folder.
> There are other situations in which I might want to keep Gramps
> separate from the /home folder: for example, for a while I had a small
> but fast harddrive which I used just for the OS, and kept all my data
> on another, larger but slower HD.

You can move the Gramps database directory to wherever you would like
using the Preference -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path. You
can also change that on the command line, such as:

gramps --config=behavior.database-path:\"/path/to/database\"
or
gramps --config=behavior.database-path:DEFAULT

> So, can anyone tell me if I can move all the necessary files into
> Dropbox folder, and if so, in a newbie-friendly step-by-step way
> (suitable for adding to the wiki), how to do it?

cp -r /home/dblank/.gramps/grampsdb /home/dblank/Dropbox/
gramps --config=behavior.database-path:\"/home/dblank/Dropbox/grampsdb\"

That copies the grampsdb folder recursively, and then starts gramps
pointing to the new folder.

To revert back to the factory folder:

gramps --config=behavior.database-path:DEFAULT

> Thanks in advance,

Hope that helps,

-Doug

> Peter

Re: Gramps inside Dropbox

Peter Kidd
> You can move the Gramps database directory to wherever you would like
> using the Preference -> Family Tree -> Family Tree Database path. You
> can also change that on the command line, such as:
>
> gramps --config=behavior.database-path:\"/path/to/database\"
> or
> gramps --config=behavior.database-path:DEFAULT
>
>> So, can anyone tell me if I can move all the necessary files into
>> Dropbox folder, and if so, in a newbie-friendly step-by-step way
>> (suitable for adding to the wiki), how to do it?
>
> cp -r /home/dblank/.gramps/grampsdb /home/dblank/Dropbox/
> gramps --config=behavior.database-path:\"/home/dblank/Dropbox/grampsdb\"
>
> That copies the grampsdb folder recursively, and then starts gramps
> pointing to the new folder.
>
> To revert back to the factory folder:
>
> gramps --config=behavior.database-path:DEFAULT
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> -Doug
>
>> Peter

MANY THANKS!

I think I've got things working the way I want now, and have
successfully used the Media Manager to reset the paths to my media
files.

Peter

Re: Gramps inside Dropbox

Martin Steer-2
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 04:18:43PM +0100, Peter Kidd wrote:
>I would like to run Gramps from inside Dropbox for two rather
>different, but I think important, reasons:
>
>(i) Dropbox keeps multiple backups, going back 30 days, so if I
>realise (within a month) that I've done something dumb, or corrupted
>my database, I can roll back to one of the earlier versions.

I have a backup folder in which I save xml copies of the database:

gramps_20120401.xml, gramps_20120410.xml, etc.

In my opinion, backing up to a text file is always the better option.

>(ii) Because I experiment with different software, and tinker in
>various ways to refine my system, I occasionally run into problems and
>decide to do a clean (re)install of the OS (I use Ubuntu, but have
>also experimented with Debian and Mint).

I backup /home to an old desktop machine each day. I also regularly
backup the whole system to a usb drive. If disaster strikes (once in the
last five years or so), I can restore everything quickly, just as it
was. I can also run the system directly from the usb drive.

It seems to me that, for a capable user, so-called clean installs belong
to the world of MS and Apple, rather than linux. They may solve some
problem you have, but at the cost of reinstating some vanilla system.
Nor is there anything to be learnt from them.