Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901

Henriette Kringelum
Hello.
I'm thinking about getting an Asus Eee 901. Since the primary computer
here runs Windows XP I intend to use the Eee as the primary computer
when running Gramps. Anyone here has experience with this? Is the
screen to small? Can I connect it to a bigger one?

Thanks

/Henriette

Re: Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901

Laura Mellen
I absolutely love my Eee! I am not running the standard operating system that came with it however. I taught myself some stuff (and made a lot of errors, lol) and finally got Notebook
Remix installed on it. I have the 701 but it would be the same with the 901. Notebook Remix is a version of Ubuntu made specifically for the Eee. The proper name I guess?? is called Ubuntu Eee version 8.04.

I then was able to install GRAMPS latest version on my Eee. It is so handy! I can have my genealogy now to take with me. Even before I had Ubuntu Eee version 8.04 on my Eee I was able to run an older version of GRAMPS.

Yes, the keypad and the screen are small. But you do get use to it. I have to wear strong ready glasses even when I use a big screen...so I certainly have to use them on the Eee. But GRAMPS on the Eee is still very nice and comfortable. I have never gotten eye strain because of the small screen.

There is a setting in Compiz (on my Eee) that makes it so I can magnify text. I have yet to feel I need this for GRAMPS but it's nice to know it is there.

I hope this helps!
Laura

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:59:44 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Gramps-users] Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901
>
> Hello.
> I'm thinking about getting an Asus Eee 901. Since the primary computer
> here runs Windows XP I intend to use the Eee as the primary computer
> when running Gramps. Anyone here has experience with this? Is the
> screen to small? Can I connect it to a bigger one?
>
> Thanks
>
> /Henriette

Re: Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901

Henriette Kringelum-2
Hi Laura.
Thank you very much for your long answer to my questions. I'm getting
more and more hooked on getting the 901. Just have to wait for it to
arrive here in DK. Only just got the 900.
Anyway, how about the full screen view of Gramps. Do you need
scrolling in both directions?

Thanks
Henriette

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Laura Mellen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I absolutely love my Eee! I am not running the standard operating system
> that came with it however. I taught myself some stuff (and made a lot of
> errors, lol) and finally got Notebook
> Remix installed on it. I have the 701 but it would be the same with the 901.
> Notebook Remix is a version of Ubuntu made specifically for the Eee. The
> proper name I guess?? is called Ubuntu Eee version 8.04.
>
> I then was able to install GRAMPS latest version on my Eee. It is so handy!
> I can have my genealogy now to take with me. Even before I had Ubuntu Eee
> version 8.04 on my Eee I was able to run an older version of GRAMPS.
>
> Yes, the keypad and the screen are small. But you do get use to it. I have
> to wear strong ready glasses even when I use a big screen...so I certainly
> have to use them on the Eee. But GRAMPS on the Eee is still very nice and
> comfortable. I have never gotten eye strain because of the small screen.
>
> There is a setting in Compiz (on my Eee) that makes it so I can magnify
> text. I have yet to feel I need this for GRAMPS but it's nice to know it is
> there.
>
> I hope this helps!
> Laura
>

>> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:59:44 +0200
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Gramps-users] Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901
>>
>> Hello.
>> I'm thinking about getting an Asus Eee 901. Since the primary computer
>> here runs Windows XP I intend to use the Eee as the primary computer
>> when running Gramps. Anyone here has experience with this? Is the
>> screen to small? Can I connect it to a bigger one?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> /Henriette

>> challenge
>> prizes
>> world

Re: Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901

Laura Mellen
Hello Henriette,

I don't *think* you will have to scroll, not sure. I do.

Of course, up and down would be on any machine as your list of names or whatever continues on and on...does that make sense?

But side to side scrolling should not be necessary in the 900 or 901 using GRAMPS. I have to scroll side to side but I have only a 7" screen. Still, I don't find it irritating although maybe some would? There may also be a setting on the 701 that I am not aware of that could change this.

I hope someone from the group with the 901 will report to the list about this. In the past I have heard from others using the Eee with GRAMPS and they have been happy with it. Perhaps they are using the bigger screen and can let you know more specifics about the 901.

I should have said I need "reading" glasses not "ready" glasses in my previous email. I think I may need stronger ones, ha ha!

I hope you get the Eee and GRAMPS going on it and enjoy it as much as I have.

Sincerely,
Laura
PS. I do recommend that if you have a genealogy program running on WindowsXP that you keep it on your XP computer until you are comfortable using GRAMPS. I almost deleted my family tree from my XP computer but I'm glad I kept it. There have been a couple of times I have had to refer to it when figuring out the specifics of how to record sources etc in GRAMPS.

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:14:33 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901
>
> Hi Laura.
> Thank you very much for your long answer to my questions. I'm getting
> more and more hooked on getting the 901. Just have to wait for it to
> arrive here in DK. Only just got the 900.
> Anyway, how about the full screen view of Gramps. Do you need
> scrolling in both directions?
>
> Thanks
> Henriette
>
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Laura Mellen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I absolutely love my Eee! I am not running the standard operating system
> > that came with it however. I taught myself some stuff (and made a lot of
> > errors, lol) and finally got Notebook
> > Remix installed on it. I have the 701 but it would be the same with the 901.
> > Notebook Remix is a version of Ubuntu made specifically for the Eee. The
> > proper name I guess?? is called Ubuntu Eee version 8.04.
> >
> > I then was able to install GRAMPS latest version on my Eee. It is so handy!
> > I can have my genealogy now to take with me. Even before I had Ubuntu Eee
> > version 8.04 on my Eee I was able to run an older version of GRAMPS.
> >
> > Yes, the keypad and the screen are small. But you do get use to it. I have
> > to wear strong ready glasses even when I use a big screen...so I certainly
> > have to use them on the Eee. But GRAMPS on the Eee is still very nice and
> > comfortable. I have never gotten eye strain because of the small screen.
> >
> > There is a setting in Compiz (on my Eee) that makes it so I can magnify
> > text. I have yet to feel I need this for GRAMPS but it's nice to know it is
> > there.
> >
> > I hope this helps!
> > Laura
> >

> >> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:59:44 +0200
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: [Gramps-users] Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901
> >>
> >> Hello.
> >> I'm thinking about getting an Asus Eee 901. Since the primary computer
> >> here runs Windows XP I intend to use the Eee as the primary computer
> >> when running Gramps. Anyone here has experience with this? Is the
> >> screen to small? Can I connect it to a bigger one?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> /Henriette

> >> challenge
> >> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> >> prizes
> >> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> >> world
> >> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/

Re: Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901

Henriette Kringelum
Hi Barry.
Thanks for your answer. I've also had a look at the Aspire One as well
as the MSI Wind, and I'm having a really hard time making up my mind
:o) With regards to prize they are fairly similar here - although I'll
have to get the Wind from the UK if I decide on that one. We're
running some months behind here with regards to the choice of
different models :o/
Right now I'm in favour of the Eee. The community seems stronger and
the fact that I can get it with linux (any kind) is important to me -
although I would love the 10" from the Wind.

Hmm, still thinking.......

/Henriette

On 8/11/08, Barrie Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The moving of windows is best down by holding down the Alt key while
> dragging the window in the direction you want. This will move part of the
> window from the screen so it can show the part you need to focus on. If you
> want to go back, then use the Alt-drag system again.
>
> BTW I'd suggest you also look at the new Acer Aspire One Netbook as an
> alternative to the eeePC. I had a eee, and have replaced it with the Acer,
> which features same screen size, a faster processor, 2 card slots, and both
> LInux and XP versions of the operating system. Price is about the same here
> (Australia) so should be in your area. Worth a look.
>

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM, Henriette Kringelum
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Laura.
> > Thank you very much for your long answer to my questions. I'm getting
> > more and more hooked on getting the 901. Just have to wait for it to
> > arrive here in DK. Only just got the 900.
> > Anyway, how about the full screen view of Gramps. Do you need
> > scrolling in both directions?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Henriette
> >

> > On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Laura Mellen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I absolutely love my Eee! I am not running the standard operating system
> > > that came with it however. I taught myself some stuff (and made a lot of
> > > errors, lol) and finally got Notebook
> > > Remix installed on it. I have the 701 but it would be the same with the
> 901.
> > > Notebook Remix is a version of Ubuntu made specifically for the Eee. The
> > > proper name I guess?? is called Ubuntu Eee version 8.04.
> > >
> > > I then was able to install GRAMPS latest version on my Eee. It is so
> handy!
> > > I can have my genealogy now to take with me. Even before I had Ubuntu
> Eee
> > > version 8.04 on my Eee I was able to run an older version of GRAMPS.
> > >
> > > Yes, the keypad and the screen are small. But you do get use to it. I
> have
> > > to wear strong ready glasses even when I use a big screen...so I
> certainly
> > > have to use them on the Eee. But GRAMPS on the Eee is still very nice
> and
> > > comfortable. I have never gotten eye strain because of the small screen.
> > >
> > > There is a setting in Compiz (on my Eee) that makes it so I can magnify
> > > text. I have yet to feel I need this for GRAMPS but it's nice to know it
> is
> > > there.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps!
> > > Laura

> challenge
> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> prizes
> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> world

> Regards
>
> Barrie Smart

Re: Gramps on Asus Eee 900/901

Henriette Kringelum
Hi Laura.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not running any program on Windows, so that
wont be a problem, but thank you for the warning :o)

/Henriette