Gramps on Linux Mint 17.3 w/Cinnamon

sturdy
Hi List,

Some time ago I submitted a bug report [1] for a problem with the
Gallery tab gramplet in both Citations and Sources views. A major part
of the problem is fixed in 4.2.3 but I find the Gallery tab does not
highlight correctly. The default Notes and References tabs highlight
correctly when content is present but the Gallery tab only highlights
when specific types of media files are present, most obviously
.jpg/.png/.pdf. However, the tab fails to highlight for .ods/odt content
(and, also, maybe other mime types).

I can reproduce the problem quite easily:

1) place a .odt file in the empty gallery of a citation and click Okay
to close the Citation. Notice the Gallery tab in the Bottombar is _not_
highlighted (it should be).
2) click the Gallery tab in the Bottombar to activate and notice the tab
will highlight and the file icon can be seen correctly.
3 click the References tab to make it active. Notice the Gallery tab is
still highlighted.
4) select another Citation then, again, select the Citation with the
.odt file. On my system, the tab fails to highlight unless you click the
Gallery tab.

SNoiraud (thanks!) is working the problem and says the Gallery tab
highlights correctly when using Oxygen theme. I am using Mint 17.3 with
Cinnamon and I am unable to try Oxygen since it is apparently not
compatible.

My question: Is anybody else using Cinnamon and having this problem with
the Gallery tab in the Bottombar or Sidebar?

Best regards,
Sturdy2

[1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7390

Re: Gramps on Linux Mint 17.3 w/Cinnamon

Doug-11
On 01/05/16 16:54, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Some time ago I submitted a bug report [1] for a problem with the
> Gallery tab gramplet in both Citations and Sources views. A major part
> of the problem is fixed in 4.2.3 but I find the Gallery tab does not
> highlight correctly. The default Notes and References tabs highlight
> correctly when content is present but the Gallery tab only highlights
> when specific types of media files are present, most obviously
> .jpg/.png/.pdf. However, the tab fails to highlight for .ods/odt content
> (and, also, maybe other mime types).
>
> I can reproduce the problem quite easily:
>
> 1) place a .odt file in the empty gallery of a citation and click Okay
> to close the Citation. Notice the Gallery tab in the Bottombar is _not_
> highlighted (it should be).
> 2) click the Gallery tab in the Bottombar to activate and notice the tab
> will highlight and the file icon can be seen correctly.
> 3 click the References tab to make it active. Notice the Gallery tab is
> still highlighted.
> 4) select another Citation then, again, select the Citation with the
> .odt file. On my system, the tab fails to highlight unless you click the
> Gallery tab.
>
> SNoiraud (thanks!) is working the problem and says the Gallery tab
> highlights correctly when using Oxygen theme. I am using Mint 17.3 with
> Cinnamon and I am unable to try Oxygen since it is apparently not
> compatible
>
> My question: Is anybody else using Cinnamon and having this problem with
> the Gallery tab in the Bottombar or Sidebar?
>
> Best regards,
> Sturdy2
>
> [1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7390

I'm running Cinnamon on LMDE2. I don't get exactly the same
as you, but I'm having similar problems:
if I add an .ods, .png *or* .pdf  file to the gallery of a
Citation and click OK, they show in the Gallery tab of the
citation editor, but the bottom bar Gallery tab is totally
blank, nor do they show in the References tab.
If I close the Citation editor and re-open it, the added
files are present in the editor's gallery, but the bottom
bar gallery and references are still blank

Doug

Re: Gramps on Linux Mint 17.3 w/Cinnamon

Doug-11
Hi Sturdy2,
I'm not sure whether I've fully understood the discussion in
#7390, so perhaps you can correct me - in summary, all that
was needed to solve your problem was to alter line 90 in
gallery.py - is that right?

I've done this (but nothing else) and it makes no difference
to me with Cinnamon on LMDE2. The gallery and reference tabs
in the bottombar are still blank. Should I add a comment to
#7390?

Doug

On 03/05/16 23:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>>> compatible
>>>
>>> My question: Is anybody else using Cinnamon and having
>>> this problem with
>>> the Gallery tab in the Bottombar or Sidebar?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Sturdy2
>>>
>>> [1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7390

>> I'm running Cinnamon on LMDE2. I don't get exactly the
>> same as you, but I'm having similar problems:
>> if I add an .ods, .png *or* .pdf  file to the gallery of a
>> Citation and click OK, they show in the Gallery tab of the
>> citation editor, but the bottom bar Gallery tab is totally
>> blank, nor do they show in the References tab.
>> If I close the Citation editor and re-open it, the added
>> files are present in the editor's gallery, but the bottom
>> bar gallery and references are still blank
>>
>> Doug

Re: Gramps on Linux Mint 17.3 w/Cinnamon

Bug 7390 was reported a couple of years ago when the initial problem was
the failure to display the image or icon in the bottom and side bars.
That problem was fixed for 4.2.3 but the highlighting remained an issue.
It sounds like you are using an older version before 4.2.3 so you may
need to upgrade. But be cautious of the fix I noted in 7390. It resolved
the immediate highlighting issue but I did very little testing for side
issues that may be created. Such things are best left to the developers
(YMMV).

Sturdy2

On 05/04/2016 05:26 AM, Doug wrote:

> Hi Sturdy2,
> I'm not sure whether I've fully understood the discussion in #7390, so
> perhaps you can correct me - in summary, all that was needed to solve
> your problem was to alter line 90 in gallery.py - is that right?
>
> I've done this (but nothing else) and it makes no difference to me
> with Cinnamon on LMDE2. The gallery and reference tabs in the
> bottombar are still blank. Should I add a comment to #7390?
>

> Doug
>

> On 03/05/16 23:28, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> Thanks for the response. That does sound like the same
>> issue. I have a lot of .odt files so it is important to me.
>> Probably others too if they knew of the issue. I think I
>> have identified the problem and posted it on bug 7390 where
>> the developers can correct and test the change.
>>
>> Sturdy2

>>> I'm running Cinnamon on LMDE2. I don't get exactly the
>>> same as you, but I'm having similar problems:
>>> if I add an .ods, .png *or* .pdf  file to the gallery of a
>>> Citation and click OK, they show in the Gallery tab of the
>>> citation editor, but the bottom bar Gallery tab is totally
>>> blank, nor do they show in the References tab.
>>> If I close the Citation editor and re-open it, the added
>>> files are present in the editor's gallery, but the bottom
>>> bar gallery and references are still blank
>>>
>>> Doug

Re: Gramps on Linux Mint 17.3 w/Cinnamon

Doug-11
Hi Sturdy2,

I was running 4.2.3-f9f98c7 and it had the bug, but I've
updated to 4.2.4-e9c0765 after your post.

I removed the fix in #7390.

(1) I do see a .jpg or .png thumbnail in the bottom gallery
tab (but nothing in the reference tab), but on adding a
second .jpg in the editor it doesn't show up in the bottom
gallery tab.

(2) if I delete the item in the editor, it does not
disappear from the bottom bar, even after closing and
re-opening the editor. The only way to get rid of it seems
to be to Quit and Abandon Changes.

(3) I don't see .ods icons in the bottombar, like you. I
haven't investigated re-introducing the 7390 fix so far.

(4) However, I realise I've never seen highlighting of
bottombar tabs under any circumstances in any view in any
version of gramps from 2.x onwards, though I can see how
useful it'd be. That's with linux Mandriva and Mint LMDE1
and 2. When did that come in?

It sounds as though a new bug report might be needed.

Doug