Gramps on Mac PPC now available

Richard Taylor-2

The PPC build of Gramps for OS X is now available.

Follow the download link from:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_GRAMPS_on_Apple_Mac

As with the recent release of the Intel version please take care using
this release. It has only been tested by me for a very short period of
time. Take lots of backups of your data and be prepared to restore those
backups when things break. You have been warned!

Once we have some feedback that these native builds of Gramps work well
I would like to depreciate the MacPorts builds. Unless of course some
one else wants to come forward to support the MacPorts builds :-)

Richard

Re: Gramps on Mac PPC now available

Emrys Williams
Shucks! Doesn't work on my newly-scrounged PPC iMac. I have OS X 10.3.9,
and we're hunting round for the upgrade disks to 10.4 now. I get
Undefined reference to ___stdoutp expected to be defined in
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
which is known to be a problem seen on old Macs trying to run newer
binaries. That library is missing entirely from my Mac.

Richard, you built and are running on OS X 10.4, yes?
Thanks
Emrys

Richard Taylor wrote:

> The PPC build of Gramps for OS X is now available.
>
> Follow the download link from:
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_GRAMPS_on_Apple_Mac
>
> As with the recent release of the Intel version please take care using
> this release. It has only been tested by me for a very short period of
> time. Take lots of backups of your data and be prepared to restore those
> backups when things break. You have been warned!
>
> Once we have some feedback that these native builds of Gramps work well
> I would like to depreciate the MacPorts builds. Unless of course some
> one else wants to come forward to support the MacPorts builds :-)
>
> Richard

Re: Gramps on Mac PPC now available

Richard Taylor-2
I am on 10.5.7

Richard

Emrys Williams wrote:

> Shucks! Doesn't work on my newly-scrounged PPC iMac. I have OS X 10.3.9,
> and we're hunting round for the upgrade disks to 10.4 now. I get
> Undefined reference to ___stdoutp expected to be defined in
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
> which is known to be a problem seen on old Macs trying to run newer
> binaries. That library is missing entirely from my Mac.
>
> Richard, you built and are running on OS X 10.4, yes?
> Thanks
> Emrys
>
> Richard Taylor wrote:
>> The PPC build of Gramps for OS X is now available.
>>
>> Follow the download link from:
>>
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_GRAMPS_on_Apple_Mac
>>
>> As with the recent release of the Intel version please take care using
>> this release. It has only been tested by me for a very short period of
>> time. Take lots of backups of your data and be prepared to restore those
>> backups when things break. You have been warned!
>>
>> Once we have some feedback that these native builds of Gramps work well
>> I would like to depreciate the MacPorts builds. Unless of course some
>> one else wants to come forward to support the MacPorts builds :-)
>>
>> Richard

Re: Gramps on Mac PPC now available

Emrys Williams
And if you download it onto an Intel Mac, the binary translator in OS X
will run the PPC code on the Intel processor.

It won't read existing Intel databases. Maybe because the byte order is
different? But it will import an existing .gpkg archive.

Emrys

Richard Taylor wrote:

> The PPC build of Gramps for OS X is now available.
>
> Follow the download link from:
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_GRAMPS_on_Apple_Mac
>
> As with the recent release of the Intel version please take care using
> this release. It has only been tested by me for a very short period of
> time. Take lots of backups of your data and be prepared to restore those
> backups when things break. You have been warned!
>
> Once we have some feedback that these native builds of Gramps work well
> I would like to depreciate the MacPorts builds. Unless of course some
> one else wants to come forward to support the MacPorts builds :-)
>
> Richard

Re: Gramps on Mac PPC now available

Tim Lyons
Administrator

Richard Taylor-2 wrote
I am on 10.5.7

Richard

Emrys Williams wrote:
> Shucks! Doesn't work on my newly-scrounged PPC iMac. I have OS X 10.3.9,
> and we're hunting round for the upgrade disks to 10.4 now. I get
> Undefined reference to ___stdoutp expected to be defined in
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
> which is known to be a problem seen on old Macs trying to run newer
> binaries. That library is missing entirely from my Mac.
May not be worth upgrading to 10.4. I am on 10.4.8, and I get:

system.log:
Aug 10 19:11:11 Timothy Lyons G5 crashdump[662]: python crashed
Aug 10 19:11:12 Timothy Lyons G5 crashdump[662]: crash report written to: /Users/tim/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/python.crash.log

then python.crash.log says:

Host Name:      Timothy-Lyons-G5
Date/Time:      2009-08-10 19:11:11.293 +0100
OS Version:     10.4.8 (Build 8L127)
Report Version: 4

Command: python
Parent:  WindowServer [90]

Version: 3.1.2 (3.1.2)

PID:    639

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _pthread_cond_init$UNIX2003
  Referenced from: ///Users/tim/Downloads/gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libpython2.6.dylib
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

The libSystem.B.dylib is there, but evidently the symbol is not.

Regards,
Tim.

guylinton wrote:

> Richard Taylor-2 wrote:
>> I am on 10.5.7
>>

>> Richard
>>
>> Emrys Williams wrote:
>>> Shucks! Doesn't work on my newly-scrounged PPC iMac. I have OS X 10.3.9,
>>> and we're hunting round for the upgrade disks to 10.4 now. I get
>>> Undefined reference to ___stdoutp expected to be defined in
>>> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
>>> which is known to be a problem seen on old Macs trying to run newer
>>> binaries. That library is missing entirely from my Mac.
>>
> May not be worth upgrading to 10.4. I am on 10.4.8, and I get:
>
> system.log:
> Aug 10 19:11:11 Timothy Lyons G5 crashdump[662]: python crashed
> Aug 10 19:11:12 Timothy Lyons G5 crashdump[662]: crash report written to:
> /Users/tim/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/python.crash.log
>
> then python.crash.log says:
>
> Host Name:      Timothy-Lyons-G5
> Date/Time:      2009-08-10 19:11:11.293 +0100
> OS Version:     10.4.8 (Build 8L127)
> Report Version: 4
>
> Command: python
> Parent:  WindowServer [90]
>
> Version: 3.1.2 (3.1.2)
>
> PID:    639
>
> Link (dyld) error:
>
> Symbol not found: _pthread_cond_init$UNIX2003
>   Referenced from:
> ///Users/tim/Downloads/gramps.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libpython2.6.dylib
>   Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
>
> The libSystem.B.dylib is there, but evidently the symbol is not.

Hi Tim,

You might be able to build it from the sources. Check the instructions:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_Gramps_on_Apple_Mac#Building_GRAMPS_from_Scratch

I am not sure whether Emrys has incorporate the patches to get it to
build on PPC yet so you may need to wait for them to appear.

If you can get it to build on 10.4 on PPC then we can upload the
binaries for others to use.

Regards

Richard