Gramps on UBUNTU

Colin Spiller
I'm using UBUNTU for my main computer (actually Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS) and
in the official repository, Gramps is only available at version 4.2.5.
I'm running 4.2.5 with no serious problems. From the Gramps project
website, Gramps is available at the latest 5.0.1 in  a version which
should run on my UBUNTU.

Does anyone know why the official UBUNTU version is so far behind? Is
anyone using 5.0.1 on UBUNTU and if so, are there any serious issues? I
would like to upgrade but I'm nervous because it's not the 'official'
release. And I understand it's not the sort of release where you can
say  - no I don't like that, I'll revert to the old version - or at
least not easily.

All help gratefully received. Thanks in advance

Colin

--
Colin Spiller

Re: Gramps on UBUNTU

Ron Johnson
On 1/2/19 5:04 PM, Colin Spiller wrote:
I'm using UBUNTU for my main computer (actually Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS) and in the official repository, Gramps is only available at version 4.2.5. I'm running 4.2.5 with no serious problems. From the Gramps project website, Gramps is available at the latest 5.0.1 in  a version which should run on my UBUNTU.

Does anyone know why the official UBUNTU version is so far behind?

The standard repositories only get security updates once the release is frozen.

Is anyone using 5.0.1 on UBUNTU and if so, are there any serious issues? I would like to upgrade but I'm nervous because it's not the 'official' release.

On the contrary, 5.0.1 is the official release... there's even a deb for it.

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v5.0.1

And I understand it's not the sort of release where you can say  - no I don't like that, I'll revert to the old version - or at least not easily.

It's very easy to revert to the 4.2 series.

1. Backup all your trees.
2. Close Gramps.
3. Rename the ~/.gramps folder.
4. Uninstall Gramps 5.0.1.
5. Install Gramps 4.2.8.

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v4.2.8

Re: Gramps on UBUNTU

Nick Hall
On 02/01/2019 23:33, Ron Johnson wrote:
It's very easy to revert to the 4.2 series.

This is not always the case, but 5.0 uses the same database schema as 4.2, so reverting is easy.

Re: Gramps on UBUNTU

prculley
Note that the database itself will go through an upgrade for version 5 and cannot be downgraded directly back to 4.2.8.

But you can import your backup XML in either direction.

Paul Culley

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019, 5:56 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email] wrote:
On 02/01/2019 23:33, Ron Johnson wrote:
It's very easy to revert to the 4.2 series.

This is not always the case, but 5.0 uses the same database schema as 4.2, so reverting is easy.

Re: Gramps on UBUNTU

Janusz S. Bień
On Wed, Jan 02 2019 at 23:04 +00, Colin Spiller wrote:
> I'm using UBUNTU for my main computer (actually Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS)
> and in the official repository, Gramps is only available at version
> 4.2.5. I'm running 4.2.5 with no serious problems. From the Gramps
> project website, Gramps is available at the latest 5.0.1 in  a version
> which should run on my UBUNTU.
>
> Does anyone know why the official UBUNTU version is so far behind? Is
> anyone using 5.0.1 on UBUNTU and if so, are there any serious issues?

Debian testing has already 5.0.1. I think I switched to testing after
installing the earlier version of Gramps on stable. The upgrade was so
smooth that I even didn't noticed it :-)

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,
Janusz S. Bien

Re: Gramps on UBUNTU

Peter Merchant
On 02/01/2019 23:04, Colin Spiller wrote:
> I'm using UBUNTU for my main computer (actually Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS) and in the official repository, Gramps is only available at version 4.2.5. I'm running 4.2.5 with no serious problems. From the Gramps project website, Gramps is available at the latest 5.0.1 in  a version which should run on my UBUNTU.
>
> Does anyone know why the official UBUNTU version is so far behind? Is anyone using 5.0.1 on UBUNTU and if so, are there any serious issues? I would like to upgrade but I'm nervous because it's not the 'official' release. And I understand it's not the sort of release where you can say  - no I don't like that, I'll revert to the old version - or at least not easily.
>
> All help gratefully received. Thanks in advance
>
> Colin

I have been using gramps on Kubuntu for a few years now, and am currently on Kubuntu 18.04LTS and gramps 5.0.0. It upgraded from the previous 4.? version with no problems and works well.

Peter M.