Gramps receives high accolades ...

anne-ology
       ... I'd been meaning to switch to it; now I have a MAC so have to switch or continue to use the IBM-compatible off-line. ;-)

       I've tired using it, have found various tutorials both on the website as well as on UTube, but cannot figure out how to add names. as siblings, children, ... to people ...
          it just adds another person unconnected to others.

       Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, so I too may enjoy this great program.

Re: Gramps receives high accolades ...

Peter Merchant
On 08/05/17 20:37, anne-ology wrote:
       ... I'd been meaning to switch to it; now I have a MAC so have to switch or continue to use the IBM-compatible off-line. ;-)

       I've tired using it, have found various tutorials both on the website as well as on UTube, but cannot figure out how to add names. as siblings, children, ... to people ...
          it just adds another person unconnected to others.

       Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, so I too may enjoy this great program.
 1 Create a Family, using available people or adding the other half if needed.

2. Add child, using the little '+' sign on children tab,  again from available people or as new.

Once you have a list of children, you can shuffle them to see them in date of birth order, or however you want.

Cheers,
Peter M.

Re: Gramps receives high accolades ...

Welcome,

Most of your adding of people with relationships can be done under the Relationships view.

Select a person from one of the Person views (People or Grouped People) then go to the Relationship view. If the person is connected to other people, these relations will show up. If the person is all alone, with no relations you can give them one.

In the Relationship view, some new Icons should have appeared next to the Edit Active Person: Add a new set of parents, Add person as child to an existing family, Add new family with this person as parent.

Since you say you have a list of unconnected people, give this person some parents. Selecting Add a new set of parents puts the person in the child list and the two parents fields are empty. Next to each parent are two options, Add an Existing person as a parent, or Add a New person as the parent. Selecting an existing person will bring up a list of people that can be selected. The list will default to show only males (or females) based upon which parent you are selecting. This can be overridden to reflect modern family structures (show all). Choosing the Add New person option will bring up a blank person editor so you can add the parent.

You now have a family.

The same thing happens if you had chosen to add the person as a spouse in a family. You will notice that in the Relationship view, under the family, there will be a Plus sign to add a new child or an option to add an existing person from your list of people as a child to this family.

I hope this gets you started, Dave

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 3:37 PM, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:
       ... I'd been meaning to switch to it; now I have a MAC so have to switch or continue to use the IBM-compatible off-line. ;-)

       I've tired using it, have found various tutorials both on the website as well as on UTube, but cannot figure out how to add names. as siblings, children, ... to people ...
          it just adds another person unconnected to others.

       Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, so I too may enjoy this great program.

Re: Gramps receives high accolades ...

anne-ology
       Thanks for responding.

       I'm beginning to think I'll never figure this out ...
          (continued interspersed below,)

From: Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, May 8, 2017 at 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Gramps receives high accolades ...
To: [hidden email]
Cc: Gramps users <[hidden email]>

Welcome,

Most of your adding of people with relationships can be done under the Relationships view.

   [when I click on this, nothing happens - the only thing that seems to work is clicking on the + sign which adds a new name ...
       I can add under notes, but I'd like to add the spouse & sons to the family so it will show in the chart]

Select a person from one of the Person views (People or Grouped People) then go to the Relationship view. If the person is connected to other people, these relations will show up. If the person is all alone, with no relations you can give them one.

   [how do they become grouped? ... that may be one of my problems; another is when clicking on spouse or child, or any of the other options, nothing happens]

In the Relationship view, some new Icons should have appeared next to the Edit Active Person: Add a new set of parents, Add person as child to an existing family, Add new family with this person as parent.

  [do you mean in that long list? - if so, when I click on that relationship, nothing changes, so I click on that + sign only to find it's adding a new person again.]

Since you say you have a list of unconnected people, give this person some parents. Selecting Add a new set of parents puts the person in the child list and the two parents fields are empty. Next to each parent are two options, Add an Existing person as a parent, or Add a New person as the parent. Selecting an existing person will bring up a list of people that can be selected. The list will default to show only males (or females) based upon which parent you are selecting. This can be overridden to reflect modern family structures (show all). Choosing the Add New person option will bring up a blank person editor so you can add the parent.

  [maybe that's my problem - the previous program (on WIN machine) has over 5000 names with multiple notes, etc. so when attempting to make a GED it states will be missing a bit ...
       so I decided to start fresh placing each surname in a separate file - I started with the 3 who should be related, but how is unproven ... so the next has no definite parentage, but a spouse & 3 known sons; I'm working backwards this time. ;-)]

You now have a family.

The same thing happens if you had chosen to add the person as a spouse in a family. You will notice that in the Relationship view, under the family, there will be a Plus sign to add a new child or an option to add an existing person from your list of people as a child to this family.

   [yes, I see the + sign ... but what am I missing in order to connect these folks?]

I hope this gets you started, Dave

   [Thank you; maybe I've been growing stupid - but I'm hoping I can figure this program out anon]

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 3:37 PM, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:

       ... I'd been meaning to switch to it; now I have a MAC so have to switch or continue to use the IBM-compatible off-line. ;-)

       I've tired using it, have found various tutorials both on the website as well as on UTube, but cannot figure out how to add names. as siblings, children, ... to people ...
          it just adds another person unconnected to others.

       Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, so I too may enjoy this great program.

Re: Gramps receives high accolades ...

Dave Scheipers

The image here shows the list of VIEWs. If you do not see them, Go up to the Menu >> View >> Navigator.

The Relationship view is where you see and can easily manipulate a person's various families. When in the Relationship view, the three ADD icons I mentioned above appear.... Add a new set of parents, Add person as child to an existing family, Add new family with this person as parent. These Icons are immediately under the menu.

Most of my work on a family happens in the Relationship view. The other views shows all the various components in lists. The people list moves you to other people in your tree. But in the Relationship view, as you click on a person and change the focus to that person, their relationships are now shown.

Without seeing what you are seeing, I don't know what else I can tell you. Dave

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM, anne-ology <[hidden email]> wrote:
       Thanks for responding.

       I'm beginning to think I'll never figure this out ...
          (continued interspersed below,)

Re: Gramps receives high accolades ...

Dave Scheipers
You might want to check out some YouTube videos.

Some of the demonstrations are using older versions of the software and you may not handle your information as shown, but the video should show you a way to navigate the various components of Gramps.

Dave