[Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

[Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

Don Allingham
One of the advantages of an Open Source project is that user's can have
direct feedback into the direction of the project. But in order for this
to work, we need actual feedback.

Here is your chance to help us. You don't need to be able to code. You
just need to be able to type.

We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like. This
includes what type of data should be included in the report. I'd first
like to tackle the Ancestors and Decendants reports (since we have
several of each of these, which is probably too many), however, we are
not limiting anything to just these two styles of reports.

Send us your mockups of what you would like to see. Send us a PDF,
OpenOffice, KWord, AbiWord, LaTeX, or Postscript file that shows what
you think a report should be. I'll post these on the website for
comments by all users.

Providing a mockup is the great way to help. The major reason we were
able to redesign the Web Page generator is because we had examples
provided by about three people. We were able to combine features from
all these samples to produce our new generator.

I want to extend the success we had there to the other reports. However,
  only your participation will make this work.

Thanks.

Don

Re: [Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

Jim Winfrey
Well Don, you did ask for this input.  The attached chart is one that
has been in Brother's Keeper since forever.  I use it extensively for
reunions, etc because it can show all descendants, not just direct
line.

Jim

On 9/15/05, Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the advantages of an Open Source project is that user's can have
> direct feedback into the direction of the project. But in order for this
> to work, we need actual feedback.
>
> Here is your chance to help us. You don't need to be able to code. You
> just need to be able to type.
>
> We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like. This
> includes what type of data should be included in the report. I'd first
> like to tackle the Ancestors and Decendants reports (since we have
> several of each of these, which is probably too many), however, we are
> not limiting anything to just these two styles of reports.
>
> Send us your mockups of what you would like to see. Send us a PDF,
> OpenOffice, KWord, AbiWord, LaTeX, or Postscript file that shows what
> you think a report should be. I'll post these on the website for
> comments by all users.
>
> Providing a mockup is the great way to help. The major reason we were
> able to redesign the Web Page generator is because we had examples
> provided by about three people. We were able to combine features from
> all these samples to produce our new generator.
>
> I want to extend the success we had there to the other reports. However,
>   only your participation will make this work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Don

DropDownCht.jpg (58K) Download Attachment

[Gramps-users] Re: Please help us define the new reports

Robert Chéramy
I'd like a compact descendant tree, like this one:

http://members.chello.at/eckstein_we/Strauss_Descendants.htm

Cheers,

Robert

Don Allingham wrote:

> One of the advantages of an Open Source project is that user's can have
> direct feedback into the direction of the project. But in order for this
> to work, we need actual feedback.
>
> Here is your chance to help us. You don't need to be able to code. You
> just need to be able to type.
>
> We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like. This
> includes what type of data should be included in the report. I'd first
> like to tackle the Ancestors and Decendants reports (since we have
> several of each of these, which is probably too many), however, we are
> not limiting anything to just these two styles of reports.
>
> Send us your mockups of what you would like to see. Send us a PDF,
> OpenOffice, KWord, AbiWord, LaTeX, or Postscript file that shows what
> you think a report should be. I'll post these on the website for
> comments by all users.
>
> Providing a mockup is the great way to help. The major reason we were
> able to redesign the Web Page generator is because we had examples
> provided by about three people. We were able to combine features from
> all these samples to produce our new generator.
>
> I want to extend the success we had there to the other reports. However,
>  only your participation will make this work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Don

Re: [Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

Anton Huber
Hello,
here my suggestions for reports of ancestors and descendants. Robert's
report is that would I prefer, too. His report is almost the same than mine.
The report is german (unfortantely the program "Ahnenblatt is only
german), but I think you can see what I mean.

Best regards,

Anton

Don Allingham schrieb:

> One of the advantages of an Open Source project is that user's can
> have direct feedback into the direction of the project. But in order
> for this to work, we need actual feedback.
>
> Here is your chance to help us. You don't need to be able to code. You
> just need to be able to type.
>
> We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like.
> This includes what type of data should be included in the report. I'd
> first like to tackle the Ancestors and Decendants reports (since we
> have several of each of these, which is probably too many), however,
> we are not limiting anything to just these two styles of reports.
>
> Send us your mockups of what you would like to see. Send us a PDF,
> OpenOffice, KWord, AbiWord, LaTeX, or Postscript file that shows what
> you think a report should be. I'll post these on the website for
> comments by all users.
>
> Providing a mockup is the great way to help. The major reason we were
> able to redesign the Web Page generator is because we had examples
> provided by about three people. We were able to combine features from
> all these samples to produce our new generator.
>
> I want to extend the success we had there to the other reports.
> However,  only your participation will make this work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Don

ancestors.sxw (9K) Download Attachment
descendants.sxw (12K) Download Attachment

Re: [Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

Brian Matherly-2
What I would like to see is a verbose decendant report. In this report, each
person (or possibly family) would have a dedicated page. Each page would
include all the information currently in the individual summary report - or
even better, all the information on a page of the Narrative web site. The
narrative website is an incredibly rich format for browsing family information.
Basically, what I want is the narrative website in a report but organized in
decendant order.

Of course, this would create a lot of redundant information. A single name
would appear any place that it is a son/daughter, sibling, spouse, and
father/mother.
It would be especially nice if each instance of a name could include the page
number for that particular person.

The reasoning behind this type of report would be that I can print a 300 page
report and give it to my grandfather. He can add things over the years with a
pen. Eventually, I might put his annotations back into GRAMPS.

It would also be nice for reunions because people can look themselvs up and see
all their family at a glance.

I have attached a rough example.

~Brian

--- Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the advantages of an Open Source project is that user's can have
> direct feedback into the direction of the project. But in order for this
> to work, we need actual feedback.
>
> Here is your chance to help us. You don't need to be able to code. You
> just need to be able to type.
>
> We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like. This
> includes what type of data should be included in the report. I'd first
> like to tackle the Ancestors and Decendants reports (since we have
> several of each of these, which is probably too many), however, we are
> not limiting anything to just these two styles of reports.
>
> Send us your mockups of what you would like to see. Send us a PDF,
> OpenOffice, KWord, AbiWord, LaTeX, or Postscript file that shows what
> you think a report should be. I'll post these on the website for
> comments by all users.
>
> Providing a mockup is the great way to help. The major reason we were
> able to redesign the Web Page generator is because we had examples
> provided by about three people. We were able to combine features from
> all these samples to produce our new generator.
>
> I want to extend the success we had there to the other reports. However,
>   only your participation will make this work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Don

decendantDraft.pdf (57K) Download Attachment

Re: Please help us define the new reports

Luke-Jr-2-3
On Thursday 15 September 2005 14:52, Don Allingham wrote:
> Here is your chance to help us. You don't need to be able to code. You
> just need to be able to type.

I hope code is acceptable, too...
This works with GRAMPS 1.0.x, but it's not quite well-designed ATM... in
particular, you'll need to fit the HTML output w/ the index.css file
Also, the output requires a very CSS compliant browser-- Safari or Konqueror
should work, but don't expect less compliant browsers like FireFox or IE to.

index.css (1K) Download Attachment
TxtBook.py (43K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: [Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

Eero Tamminen

I would prefer something done with tables, like in the attached HTML page.
The ancestors and descendents could be shown either vertically (like in my
example), or vertically.  It would be nice if user could select this based
on the page size (landscape or portrait etc).

With graphics, the output is IMHO a bit too much dependent on how well
Gramps font metrics match the output format / program (which is a recurring
problem with the StatisticsChart report).

        - Eero

On Thursday 15 September 2005 18:02, Jim Winfrey wrote:

> Well Don, you did ask for this input.  The attached chart is one that
> has been in Brother's Keeper since forever.  I use it extensively for
> reunions, etc because it can show all descendants, not just direct
> line.
>
> Jim
>
> On 9/15/05, Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > One of the advantages of an Open Source project is that user's can have
> > direct feedback into the direction of the project. But in order for
> > this to work, we need actual feedback.
> >
> > Here is your chance to help us. You don't need to be able to code. You
> > just need to be able to type.
> >
> > We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like.
> > This includes what type of data should be included in the report. I'd
> > first like to tackle the Ancestors and Decendants reports (since we
> > have several of each of these, which is probably too many), however, we
> > are not limiting anything to just these two styles of reports.
> >
> > Send us your mockups of what you would like to see. Send us a PDF,
> > OpenOffice, KWord, AbiWord, LaTeX, or Postscript file that shows what
> > you think a report should be. I'll post these on the website for
> > comments by all users.
> >
> > Providing a mockup is the great way to help. The major reason we were
> > able to redesign the Web Page generator is because we had examples
> > provided by about three people. We were able to combine features from
> > all these samples to produce our new generator.
> >
> > I want to extend the success we had there to the other reports.
> > However, only your participation will make this work.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Don

family-tree.html (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

Steve Hall-4
On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 08:52 -0600, Don Allingham wrote:

[snip]
> We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like.

Below are links to sample reports of those typically needed in basic
genealogy. I especially like these because they convey the data well
and do not distract the user with all sorts of un-important graphics
and flourishes. They look clean and professional but could be easily
matched by a novice using a word processor.

The five descendant reports illustrate different formats that various
organizations require. (They won't look at reports in any format other
than their single prefered one.) The Register and Modified Register
are particularly strict, but at some point, GRAMPS should really offer
all these if to be used professionally.

[None bigger than 36Kb.]

http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/Ahnentafel.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/Ancestor.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/BoxChart.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/BoxChart-alt.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/DescendantReport-Indented-DAborville.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/DescendantReport-Indented-Henry.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/DescendantReport-Indented-outline.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/DescendantReport-ModRegister.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/DescendantReport-Register.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/FamilyGroup.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/Individual.pdf
http://dancingpaper.com/tmp/Pedigree.pdf

With the style sheet approach similar to that of the web page
generator, these could be turned into many looks, just as we saw in
the web page generator. (For example, the above Box Chart and
alternate.)

HTH.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]

Re: Please help us define the new reports

Serge Noiraud-2
Le jeudi 15 Septembre 2005 16:52, Don Allingham a écrit :

> We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like. This
> includes what type of data should be included in the report. I'd first
> like to tackle the Ancestors and Decendants reports (since we have
> several of each of these, which is probably too many), however, we are
> not limiting anything to just these two styles of reports.

One interesting thing missing on gramps is about notation :
Sosa-Stradonitz
Aboville
mixed Sosa-Stradonitz/Aboville
and perhaps others I don't know.

It would be great these numbers are an option for person indexing in reports.
We actually can select the document type ouput and other things, we could be
able to select the notation we want to use.

for example, the standard is actually the database index : 1, 2, 3, ...
If you select Aboville you should have : 1, 11, 12, 2, 21 or something like
that ( 1, 1-1 or 1.1, ... )
If you select Sosa-Stradonitz, you should have the associated numbers.
if you select mixed Sosa-Stradonitz/Aboville, you should have 1/1, 2/131,
3/213, ...

Re: [Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

Brian Matherly-2
What an excellent response we have had on this topic. If you really think about
it, the reports add the most value to the whole program. What's the point of
having all your data in a database if you can not extract it out into useful
forms for viewing.

Since this is such an important topic and I have personal interest in this
topic right now, I'd like to keep the momentum up. To help facilitate
conversation, I've started a page in the prototyping sandbox on the developer's
wiki. It can be found at:

http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=ExampleDecendantReport

Feel free to add your examples and comments. If you want me to add anything for
you, just let me know.

Remember, it is the responsibility of the users to help the developers
understand what we need.

~Brian

--- Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the advantages of an Open Source project is that user's can have
> direct feedback into the direction of the project. But in order for this
> to work, we need actual feedback.
>
> Here is your chance to help us. You don't need to be able to code. You
> just need to be able to type.
>
> We need your ideas on what our text based reports should look like. This
> includes what type of data should be included in the report. I'd first
> like to tackle the Ancestors and Decendants reports (since we have
> several of each of these, which is probably too many), however, we are
> not limiting anything to just these two styles of reports.
>
> Send us your mockups of what you would like to see. Send us a PDF,
> OpenOffice, KWord, AbiWord, LaTeX, or Postscript file that shows what
> you think a report should be. I'll post these on the website for
> comments by all users.
>
> Providing a mockup is the great way to help. The major reason we were
> able to redesign the Web Page generator is because we had examples
> provided by about three people. We were able to combine features from
> all these samples to produce our new generator.
>
> I want to extend the success we had there to the other reports. However,
>   only your participation will make this work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Don

Re: [Gramps-users] Please help us define the new reports

Duncan Lithgow
Brian Matherly wrote:

> What I would like to see is a verbose decendant report. In this report, each
> person (or possibly family) would have a dedicated page. Each page would
> include all the information currently in the individual summary report - or
> even better, all the information on a page of the Narrative web site. The
> narrative website is an incredibly rich format for browsing family information.
> Basically, what I want is the narrative website in a report but organized in
> decendant order.
>
> Of course, this would create a lot of redundant information. A single name
> would appear any place that it is a son/daughter, sibling, spouse, and
> father/mother.
> It would be especially nice if each instance of a name could include the page
> number for that particular person.
>
> The reasoning behind this type of report would be that I can print a 300 page
> report and give it to my grandfather. He can add things over the years with a
> pen. Eventually, I might put his annotations back into GRAMPS.
>
> It would also be nice for reunions because people can look themselvs up and see
> all their family at a glance.
>
> I have attached a rough example.
>
> ~Brian
I fully endorse this one, for the same reasons as above. Doesn't have to
look good but would need an index by name or something similar.

Duncan