Gramps v4.1 release

Nick Hall
Devs,

The testing for the Gramps v4.1 release is progressing well.  So far I
have only tested using python2, but I'll start python3 testing shortly.

There are a couple of major Gtk issues, which will affect Ubuntu 14.04
users.  I will suggest solutions for these in a separate post.

Please help to update the wiki user manual and other documentation. In
particular, please read the new sections related to the place
hierarchy.  Do they make sense?  Do we need more examples?

Translators should make sure that the translations are complete.

Any additional help in testing and bug fixing from the developers would
be appreciated.

I plan to delay creation of the gramps41 branch until shortly before
release.

Re: Gramps v4.1 release

Sebastian Schubert
Hi,

please the following noobish questions and the intrusion of the devel
mailing list.

I wanted to help testing for the 4.1 release. Is the master branch going
to become the 4.1 branch? Well, I found no alternative so I checked this
one out and I found the following issues. If you think they are indeed
bugs which are to be fixed (thus, it should be working in the master
branch), I'll write more detailed bug reports.

1) The narrative website report does not run:

437660: ERROR: _reportdialog.py: line 733: Failed to run report.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/home/sebschub/code/Gramps/gramps/gui/plug/report/_reportdialog.py",
line 696, in report
    MyReport = report_class(dialog.db, dialog.options, user)
  File
"/home/sebschub/code/Gramps/gramps/plugins/webreport/narrativeweb.py",
line 6845, in __init__
    self.database = PrivateProxyDb(database)
  File "/home/sebschub/code/Gramps/gramps/gen/proxy/private.py", line
66, in __init__
    "remove_func": self.remove_person,
  File "/home/sebschub/code/Gramps/gramps/gen/proxy/proxybase.py", line
479, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError
AttributeError

2) Double used places types in German translation:
There are several places types used twice in the German translation:
"Bezirk", "Gemeinde", "Ort". The number of entries is equal in both
German and English.

Thanks
Sebastian

Am 17.05.2014 19:04, schrieb Nick Hall:

> Devs,
>
> The testing for the Gramps v4.1 release is progressing well.  So far I
> have only tested using python2, but I'll start python3 testing shortly.
>
> There are a couple of major Gtk issues, which will affect Ubuntu 14.04
> users.  I will suggest solutions for these in a separate post.
>
> Please help to update the wiki user manual and other documentation. In
> particular, please read the new sections related to the place
> hierarchy.  Do they make sense?  Do we need more examples?
>
> Translators should make sure that the translations are complete.
>
> Any additional help in testing and bug fixing from the developers would
> be appreciated.
>
> I plan to delay creation of the gramps41 branch until shortly before
> release.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nick.

Re: Gramps v4.1 release

enno
Hi Sebastian,
> 2) Double used places types in German translation:
> There are several places types used twice in the German translation:
> "Bezirk", "Gemeinde", "Ort". The number of entries is equal in both
> German and English.
I suggest that you contact the translator mentioned in de.po, and see if
you can improve this part. My personal knowledge is not good enough to
help you with Bezirk, but for Gemeinde and Ort it is probably easy to solve.

regards,

Re: Gramps v4.1 release

On 18/05/14 12:30, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
I wanted to help testing for the 4.1 release.

Thank you.  The more people that help with testing the better the release will be.

Is the master branch going
to become the 4.1 branch?

Yes.

[...]

The is the only major bug that I know about, apart from a couple of Gtk issues.

It already has a bug report:

7693: Broken proxies

Re: Gramps v4.1 release

On 18/05/14 12:30, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> 2) Double used places types in German translation:
> There are several places types used twice in the German translation:
> "Bezirk", "Gemeinde", "Ort". The number of entries is equal in both
> German and English.

I don't speak German, but looking at the de.po file I see:

Borough -> Bezirk
District -> Bezirk

Parish -> Gemeinde
Municipality ->  Gemeinde

City -> Ort
Village ->Ort

Using Google translate it suggests:

City -> Stadt
Village -> Dorf

Perhaps I need to write some English definitions, which may also help
with the translations.

Re: Gramps v4.1 release

enno
Nick,

> On 18/05/14 12:30, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
>> 2) Double used places types in German translation:
>> There are several places types used twice in the German translation:
>> "Bezirk", "Gemeinde", "Ort". The number of entries is equal in both
>> German and English.
>>
> I don't speak German, but looking at the de.po file I see:
>
> Borough -> Bezirk
> District -> Bezirk
>
> Parish -> Gemeinde
> Municipality ->  Gemeinde
Parish can be Kirchengemeinde.

> City -> Ort
> Village ->Ort
>
> Using Google translate it suggests:
>
> City -> Stadt
> Village -> Dorf
>
> Perhaps I need to write some English definitions, which may also help
> with the translations.
That would certainly be nice, because Borough and District are not well
known to me either. My English Dutch dictionary translates Borough to
Stad (City) or Kiesdistrict (Voting District), and District to District
and a load of other terms.

I haven't checked the place hierarchy lately, because I still use 3.4
for production, but I think it really helps to have these definitions,
and maybe even discuss some of those, once I'm more acquainted with 4.1.
I for one, don't have much need to distinguish between city and village,
because they are at the same level in local hierarchy. Similarly,
borough and district are items I will most probably ignore for my own
country too, while the German Kreis is somewhat important for my German
ancestors, and seems to be County in English, which for me is as vague
as Borough and District.

In de.po, I can see that Church parish is already translated to
Kirchengemeinde, which triggers a new question, which is whether you can
tell whether Church parish and Parish are the same. If they are, I can
see more inconsistencies in de.po.

regards,

Re: Gramps v4.1 release

Mirko Leonhäuser
Hello,

I will have a look at the translation.
I think the main reason for this is, that I only translated the new values for
the new place editor and did not review the old still existing values.

regards

Mirko

Am Sonntag, 18. Mai 2014, 15:43:06 schrieb Enno Borgsteede:

> Nick,
>
> > On 18/05/14 12:30, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> >> 2) Double used places types in German translation:
> >> There are several places types used twice in the German translation:
> >> "Bezirk", "Gemeinde", "Ort". The number of entries is equal in both
> >> German and English.
> >
> > I don't speak German, but looking at the de.po file I see:
> >
> > Borough -> Bezirk
> > District -> Bezirk
> >
> > Parish -> Gemeinde
> > Municipality ->  Gemeinde
>
> Parish can be Kirchengemeinde.
>
> > City -> Ort
> > Village ->Ort
> >
> > Using Google translate it suggests:
> >
> > City -> Stadt
> > Village -> Dorf
> >
> > Perhaps I need to write some English definitions, which may also help
> > with the translations.
>
> That would certainly be nice, because Borough and District are not well
> known to me either. My English Dutch dictionary translates Borough to
> Stad (City) or Kiesdistrict (Voting District), and District to District
> and a load of other terms.
>
> I haven't checked the place hierarchy lately, because I still use 3.4
> for production, but I think it really helps to have these definitions,
> and maybe even discuss some of those, once I'm more acquainted with 4.1.
> I for one, don't have much need to distinguish between city and village,
> because they are at the same level in local hierarchy. Similarly,
> borough and district are items I will most probably ignore for my own
> country too, while the German Kreis is somewhat important for my German
> ancestors, and seems to be County in English, which for me is as vague
> as Borough and District.
>
> In de.po, I can see that Church parish is already translated to
> Kirchengemeinde, which triggers a new question, which is whether you can
> tell whether Church parish and Parish are the same. If they are, I can
> see more inconsistencies in de.po.
>
> regards,
>
> Enno

Re: Gramps v4.1 release

Thank you, Nick.

And you also fixed the remaining 'ubuntu 14.04/gui' issues (*glade). :)
Great!

I looked at some possible errors on current code (gramps40 and I suppose master too) via pylint. I attached 4 patches on bug #7678
They are simple (do not go too far).

* 7678_variable_assignments.patch
* 7678_method_twice.patch
* 7678_self.patch
* 7678_undefined_variable.patch

I suppose that at least '7678_undefined_variable.patch' (quick and incomplete review) should be included before any next release?

About translations, some translators have incomplete translations (gramps34/gramps40). We tried to make much "sweeter" migration to trunk as possible (hard to handle revisions/repositories with 3 differents "messages catalog" *.po files).

So, it still needs a review on trunk/master by translators, but the most annoying part is already done.

About new method for handling month names (and related date stuff) via gettext, Croatian, Russian and French date handlers are supporting the new method. We migrated most translated strings from localized date handlers to gettext files. As far I understood during tests, if there is no support for the new method, then month names handling will be the same as before (old method).
If translators can have a look at their localized date handlers, then we could have a more consistent set of date handlers.

Jérôme

Le sam. 17 mai 2014 at 19:04, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Devs, The testing for the Gramps v4.1 release is progressing well. So far I have only tested using python2, but I'll start python3 testing shortly. There are a couple of major Gtk issues, which will affect Ubuntu 14.04 users. I will suggest solutions for these in a separate post. Please help to update the wiki user manual and other documentation. In particular, please read the new sections related to the place hierarchy. Do they make sense? Do we need more examples? Translators should make sure that the translations are complete. Any additional help in testing and bug fixing from the developers would be appreciated. I plan to delay creation of the gramps41 branch until shortly before release. Regards, Nick. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Accelerate Dev Cycles with Automated Cross-Browser Testing - For FREE Instantly run your Selenium tests across 300+ browser/OS combos. Get unparalleled scalability from the best Selenium testing platform available Simple to use. Nothing to install. Get started now for free." http://p.sf.net/sfu/SauceLabs _______________________________________________ Gramps-devel mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

7678_undefined_variable.patch (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Gramps v4.1 release

Paul Franklin-5
Hi Jerome,

On 5/18/14, Jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, it still needs a review on trunk/master by translators, but the
> most annoying part is already done.

I would appreciate knowing whether you have sent an
email to all our translators, alerting them that such a
review is needed?

If not, now that Nick has made the gramps41 branch,
this seems to me to be an excellent time!

I believe Nick would like this done very quickly, so
please also tell them the need for speed.

Note also that this is the first major release after the
switch on SourceForge from subversion to git so you
may want to give them an explicit pointer to the new
gramps41 po directory, as well as offer to install any
new one they email to you, if that is easier for them.

I specifically am worried about all the "plural" changes
I made in trunk/master -- now gramps41 -- since unless
the new strings get translated our users will see English.

Thanks.