Gramps with openSUSE 10.3.........

Paul Blair
Hello to the list

I'm a newbie to Linux.

I just installed openSUSE 10.3 and now I'm trying to figure out how
to install the latest stable version of GRAMPS.  Does anyone have
experience on getting it installed in openSUSE 10.3 in the simplest
possible way?

Thanks

Paul
Australia

Re: Gramps with openSUSE 10.3.........

Piotr Czubaszek-2
Paul,

> I'm a newbie to Linux.
>
> I just installed openSUSE 10.3 and now I'm trying to figure out how
> to install the latest stable version of GRAMPS.  Does anyone have
> experience on getting it installed in openSUSE 10.3 in the simplest
> possible way?

Information on installation of GRAMPS is provided on this wiki page:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation
There's a repository maintained by Richard Bos providing packages of
GRAMPS (all described on the above page), though it currently provides
only 2.2.6 version of the program, while the latest one is 2.2.8.

You could add his repository to your package manager as described in
the forum entry linked from the wiki page, only altering the version
of SuSE to yours. This way all dependencies will be automatically
installed as opposed to manual dowlnload of the package.

Piotrek

Re: Gramps with openSUSE 10.3.........

Graham P Davis-3

Paul Blair wrote:

> Hello to the list

> I'm a newbie to Linux.

> I just installed openSUSE 10.3 and now I'm trying to figure out how

> to install the latest stable version of GRAMPS. Does anyone have

> experience on getting it installed in openSUSE 10.3 in the simplest

> possible way?

There is a problem with installing 2.2.8 in the standard way. If you add a GRAMPS repository - via YAST/Software-repositories and entering the server name as "software.opensuse.org" with the directory as "/download/home:/rbos/openSUSE_10.3/" - you'll find you'll only see version 2.2.6 because this old version is is sub-directory i586 and overrides the one you need which is in the noarch sub-directory.

The way I installed it was to download http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rbos/openSUSE_10.3/noarch/gramps-2.2.8-3.1.noarch.rpm

then click on the file in Konqueror and select the tab "install package with YAST".

Graham Davis

Re: Gramps with openSUSE 10.3.........

Günter Dannoritzer
Paul Blair wrote:
> Hello to the list
>
> I'm a newbie to Linux.
>
> I just installed openSUSE 10.3 and now I'm trying to figure out how
> to install the latest stable version of GRAMPS.  Does anyone have
> experience on getting it installed in openSUSE 10.3 in the simplest
> possible way?

Hi Paul,

The build service has now a search interface. If you go to the page:

http://software.opensuse.org/search

then select you distribution, enter >gramps< in the search mask and hit
enter, it will list you all the gramps versions available. BTW, the
packages shown are those provided by Richard Bros.

Starting with openSUSE 10.3 there is now a new feature called "1-click
install". I haven't tried that myself, but the way it is supposed to
work is that you click on the link next to the version you want to
install and the install process should start automatically.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Guenter

Re: Gramps with openSUSE 10.3.........

> Richard Bos providing packages of GRAMPS (all described on the above page), though it currently provides only 2.2.6 version of the program, while the latest one is 2.2.8.

There is a 2.2.8 version too ...

http://downoad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rbos/openSUSE_10.3/repodata/repoview/Applications.Genealogy.group.html

> Does anyone have experience on getting it installed in openSUSE 10.3 in the simplest possible way?

compilation !!! (CD gnome + devel libs)
Seriously, you should look at richard's repository.

Also, you will have some messages on console. Seems new GTK libs
provides more warnings.

Piotr Czubaszek a écrit :

> Paul,
>
>> I'm a newbie to Linux.
>>
>> I just installed openSUSE 10.3 and now I'm trying to figure out how
>> to install the latest stable version of GRAMPS.  Does anyone have
>> experience on getting it installed in openSUSE 10.3 in the simplest
>> possible way?
>
> Information on installation of GRAMPS is provided on this wiki page:
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation
> There's a repository maintained by Richard Bos providing packages of
> GRAMPS (all described on the above page), though it currently provides
> only 2.2.6 version of the program, while the latest one is 2.2.8.
>
> You could add his repository to your package manager as described in
> the forum entry linked from the wiki page, only altering the version
> of SuSE to yours. This way all dependencies will be automatically
> installed as opposed to manual dowlnload of the package.
>
> Piotrek

Re: Gramps with openSUSE 10.3.........

Stéphane Charette-2
Typo in url...missing the letter L in "download":

> http://downoad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rbos/openSUSE_10.3/repodata/repoview/Applications.Genealogy.group.html

Should instead be:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rbos/openSUSE_10.3/repodata/repoview/Applications.Genealogy.group.html

Stéphane

Re: Gramps with openSUSE 10.3.........

> There is a 2.2.8 version too ...
>
> http://downoad.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rbos/openSUSE_10.3/repodata/repoview/Applications.Genealogy.group.html

:-[
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rbos/openSUSE_10.3/repodata/repoview/Applications.Genealogy.group.html

> The build service has now a search interface. If you go to the page:
>
> http://software.opensuse.org/search

thanks for the link :)