GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Josip
Hi devs,
new GrampsAIO-4.0.3 bundle is at:
https://db.tt/N6Y3I2k4

Hope that all appearance problem is fixed now (what is possible)
Could somebody (check it) and upload it to SF

--
Josip

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Helge.Herz-2
Am 09.02.2014 21:55, schrieb Josip:
> Hi devs,
> new GrampsAIO-4.0.3 bundle is at:
> https://db.tt/N6Y3I2k4
>
> Hope that all appearance problem is fixed now (what is possible)
> Could somebody (check it) and upload it to SF

I've started to check: It looks very good for my opinion (e.g.
horizontal ruler is back!).
I'll continue this evening after work.
- Helge

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Peter Landgren
2014-02-09 21:55, Josip skrev:
> Hi devs,
> new GrampsAIO-4.0.3 bundle is at:
> https://db.tt/N6Y3I2k4
>
> Hope that all appearance problem is fixed now (what is possible)
> Could somebody (check it) and upload it to SF

Hi,

I have installed it and I took screen dumps of both 4.0.3-4 and 3.4.7-1
for comparison:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43962917/Gramps347-1%20-%202014-02-10%20%2C%2015_37_03.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43962917/Gramps403-4%20-%202014-02-10%20%2C%2015_36_05.jpg

/Peter

--
Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

enno
Peter
> Hi,
>
> I have installed it and I took screen dumps of both 4.0.3-4 and 3.4.7-1
> for comparison:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43962917/Gramps347-1%20-%202014-02-10%20%2C%2015_37_03.jpg
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43962917/Gramps403-4%20-%202014-02-10%20%2C%2015_36_05.jpg
Same on Windows 8.1. Looks like we still need a better/smaller font in
4.0.3 to make it as efficient as 3.4.6 on screen. This does not happen
on Linux, I think, but for Windows users 4.0.3 looks like a step back,
even though the toolbar is a bit smaller there.

regards,

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Helge.Herz-2
Am 09.02.2014 21:55, schrieb Josip:
> Hi devs,
> new GrampsAIO-4.0.3 bundle is at:
> https://db.tt/N6Y3I2k4
>
> Hope that all appearance problem is fixed now (what is possible)
> Could somebody (check it) and upload it to SF

Beside any discussion about the layout I found this :
As default install path was suggested in my case:
C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\GrampsAIO-4.0.3
That's not the standard path for Win applications.
For a program I would expect: C:\Program Files (x86)\GrampsAIO-4.0.3
Only data should be stored at: C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\...

Of course the user has the choice to select any other path. But the
installer should follow the Win standard for a suggestion.
- Helge

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Josip
If you run it as Administrator it should offer choice to install for you or for "All Users".
Second one goes to ProgramFiles.
Install don't ask automaticaly for rights elevation so that any user without higher acount can use him for personal install.

Josip

> Hope that all appearance problem is fixed now (what is possible)
> Could somebody (check it) and upload it to SF

Beside any discussion about the layout I found this :
As default install path was suggested in my case:
C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\GrampsAIO-4.0.3
That's not the standard path for Win applications.
For a program I would expect: C:\Program Files (x86)\GrampsAIO-4.0.3
Only data should be stored at: C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\...

Of course the user has the choice to select any other path. But the
installer should follow the Win standard for a suggestion.
- Helge

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Helge.Herz-2
Am 09.02.2014 21:55, schrieb Josip:
> Hi devs,
> new GrampsAIO-4.0.3 bundle is at:
> https://db.tt/N6Y3I2k4
>
> Hope that all appearance problem is fixed now (what is possible)
> Could somebody (check it) and upload it to SF

For my opinion it's a really smoother version than before. So I would
suggest to provide it for the user by uploading it to sf as Josip did ask.
There still any checks and/or discussions before?
If not, I'll do that  for Josip.
Helge

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

enno
Helge,

> Am 09.02.2014 21:55, schrieb Josip:
>> Hi devs,
>> new GrampsAIO-4.0.3 bundle is at:
>> https://db.tt/N6Y3I2k4
>>
>> Hope that all appearance problem is fixed now (what is possible)
>> Could somebody (check it) and upload it to SF
>>
> For my opinion it's a really smoother version than before. So I would
> suggest to provide it for the user by uploading it to sf as Josip did ask.
> There still any checks and/or discussions before?
Yes. When you look at the screens posted by Peter earlier, you can see
that Josip's 4.0.3 still shows less information on screen than 3.4.7.
This can cured by setting the font size the same as in 3.4.7, which is 8.

regards,

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Matthias Basler
Helge wrote:

> Beside any discussion about the layout I found this :
> As default install path was suggested in my case:
> C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\GrampsAIO-4.0.3

Did you choose "Install only for me"?

For me it defaults to
   C:\Program Files (x86)\GrampsAIO-4.0.3
if I choose an installation for all users and
  C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\GrampsAIO-4.0.3
if I choose an installation only for me. This distinction looks sensible to me.

Matthias Basler

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Paul Franklin-5
On 2/9/14, Josip <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi devs,
> new GrampsAIO-4.0.3 bundle ...

Perhaps given some of the other comments, you should
consider asking somebody to shorten the name, when it
is uploaded to SourceForge?  Instead of

GrampsAIO-4.0.3-4_win32_py27.exe

perhaps it should be just

GrampsAIO-4.0.3-4.exe

instead?  Or would you want to do that rename in the
nsis script yourself, first?

Also, I would guess that the font-size opinions might
depend on the size of the user's screen, and perhaps
on the system preferences they have already chosen.

I see that GrampsAIO-4.0.3-3_win32_py27.exe has
been downloaded about 600 times this week, and there
hasn't been a loud uproar from them about the font
being too big.  Perhaps if it were changed to 8 many of
them would consider it too small?

The right solution is clearly to facilitate changing the
font size, and there is already a feature request for that.

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

enno
Paul,
> I see that GrampsAIO-4.0.3-3_win32_py27.exe has been downloaded about
> 600 times this week, and there hasn't been a loud uproar from them
> about the font being too big. Perhaps if it were changed to 8 many of
> them would consider it too small?
Well, if 8 were too small, we would have complaints about 3.4.7 too,
wouldn't we? There were 1750 downloads for the 32 and 64 bit versions
together, so ...
> The right solution is clearly to facilitate changing the font size,
> and there is already a feature request for that.
True. But when we implement that, we need to make sure that settings are
not written inside the Program Files folder, like they may be now.
Windows Vista and beyond won't allow that, so when we do that, we need
to use the proper locations as specified by Microsoft.

regards,

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Paul Franklin-5
If I had to guess, I'd guess that comments or suggestions
or helpful criticism or whatever would be better done in the
font-changing feature request, rather than on any mailing list.

Re: GrampsAIOBundle-4.0.3-4

Josip
Dana 11.2.2014. 18:11, Paul Franklin je napisao:

> On 2/9/14, Josip <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>> new GrampsAIO-4.0.3 bundle ...
>
> Perhaps given some of the other comments, you should
> consider asking somebody to shorten the name, when it
> is uploaded to SourceForge?  Instead of
>
> GrampsAIO-4.0.3-4_win32_py27.exe
>
> perhaps it should be just
>
> GrampsAIO-4.0.3-4.exe
>
> instead?  Or would you want to do that rename in the
> nsis script yourself, first?

I want more to get rid of AIO parts :-)
That was added per request to distinguish him from normal gramps build
process (so any bug report against him be easily rejected)

> Also, I would guess that the font-size opinions might
> depend on the size of the user's screen, and perhaps
> on the system preferences they have already chosen.

Yes both of them (size of the user's screen and system preferences) but
also depend on Windows version.
All versions up to 4.0.3-4.exe have the same bugs ;-)
yet nobody report them for 3.x series so simple number off bug report is
not really important for Windows.

> I see that GrampsAIO-4.0.3-3_win32_py27.exe has
> been downloaded about 600 times this week, and there
> hasn't been a loud uproar from them about the font
> being too big.  Perhaps if it were changed to 8 many of
> them would consider it too small?

I be the first one to complain for 8 be too small.

> The right solution is clearly to facilitate changing the
> font size, and there is already a feature request for that.

Agree fully with that!

--
Josip