GraphView plugin - installation problems

GraphView plugin - installation problems

Martnal
This post was updated on .
Hello, since upgrading to GrampsAIO64-5.1.1-1 I have lost the GraphView chart
option.  I am fully up to date with all add-ons.

I see a GraphView.addon tgz archive file in my default Downloads folder.  Do
I need to extract the contents somewhere?

I have read this page:
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Graph_View

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin

GraphView is an addon and should install automatically through your
preference settings. Try unchecking the "Do not ask about previously
notified addons."  Something else to check is the Plugin Manager. See
if it's installed but Hidden. If it is installed, you can delete it
here and try the addon install again.

The file in in your download folder is probably it. But Gramps should
automatically install it through the Preferences.

FYI, there was an upgrade to the addon not long ago. My current
version is 1.0.108

HTH Dave

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 11:42 AM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, since upgrading to GrampsAIO64-5.1.1-1 I have lost the GraphView chart
> option.  I am fully up to date with all add-ons.
>
> I see a GraphView.addon tgz archive file in my default Downloads folder.  Do
> I need to extract the contents somewhere?
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Martnal
Dave, you are on my short-list of potential saints.  Thank you so much.  I
asked the same question in different words a few months ago with no success.
I use that chart so very much.  It's even updated since I last saw it, as
you said.  I also got lots of other 'previous' updates as well.

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Dave Scheipers
I think that check box should only affect those addons that are not
installed.  I finally just unchecked it, and have the settings to
check once a day and new and updated addons.  Any addons I do not use
I hide using the Plugin Manager.

A very good Thanksgiving, thank you. 16 for dinner and a 24 pound
turkey. Just had 2 turkey sandwiches.

Dave

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave, you are on my short-list of potential saints.  Thank you so much.  I
> asked the same question in different words a few months ago with no success.
> I use that chart so very much.  It's even updated since I last saw it, as
> you said.  I also got lots of other 'previous' updates as well.
>
> I hope you had a good Thanksgiving!
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Martnal
This post was updated on .
Dave, I don't know if this is related, but I have just noticed that I have
lost ALL of my citations, from 4 separate trees.  I have gone cold!

I tried exiting GRAMPS and reloading, but they are not there.  I did use the
MERGE Citations option on just one tree earlier, but it seemed to run OK.

I then tried recovering from two earlier .gramps files but there are still
no citations.

Please tell me that I haven't lost them all.

UPDATE
Although the CITATIONS screen is totally blank, I can see SOME citations if I select a person, although for many entries it just says <No Citation>

I am beginning to think (HOPE!) that they are there somewhere.  It seems odd that they disappeared from 4 trees.

Another UPDATE, if I run the Citations report, they are all there, but still not visible in the Citations screen.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Dave Scheipers
This is probably way above my understanding, but to help triage the problem...

Are there citations in the Citation View? or is it totally empty?  Any
filters set?

In the Source view, are there citation References on each record?

In a Person View, are there Citations in the Bottom Bar Citation Tab?

Is your database using BSDDB or SQLite? How each stores the actual
data may matter.

You say you tried recovering from earlier backups. Looking at the list
of backups with their files size, does the list of backups  sorted by
date, show a drop in file size? Since our work tends to seek to add
new information, the backups gradually get bigger. If there is a drop
in size, it would indicate a purge of information.

As I said, this may be beyond my skills, but these answers may help
understand the issue.

Sorry I don't any saintly "all problems solved" powers, Dave

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 1:24 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave, I don't know if this is related, but I have just noticed that I have
> lost ALL of my citations, from 4 separate trees.  I have gone cold!
>
> I tried exiting GRAMPS and reloading, but they are not there.  I did use the
> MERGE Citations option on just one tree earlier, but it seemed to run OK.
>
> I then tried recovering from two earlier .gramps files but there are still
> no citations.
>
> Please tell me that I haven't lost them all.
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Dave made a very good point about the Filters you might have set.

That's one of many items that carry over when switching between Trees. A filter that finds all Citations in one Tree might find none in another Tree.

And even when the Sidebar or Bottombar are not displayed, the values last used in the hidden Filter Gramplet are active.

So, the easiest sanity check there is the Status Bar record counter visible at the lower right.

If it shows something like 0/721 (which is zero matching records out of a total of 721 records) then the Filter just needs to be reset so it will stop filtering out everything.

I just looked & the wiki doesn't even mention this feature when the Status Bar is (ever so briefly) discussed.

-Brian

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 13:39, Dave Scheipers
This is probably way above my understanding, but to help triage the problem...

Are there citations in the Citation View? or is it totally empty?  Any filters set?

In the Source view, are there citation References on each record?

In a Person View, are there Citations in the Bottom Bar Citation Tab?

Is your database using BSDDB or SQLite? How each stores the actual data may matter.

You say you tried recovering from earlier backups. Looking at the list of backups with their files size, does the list of backups  sorted by date, show a drop in file size? Since our work tends to seek to add new information, the backups gradually get bigger. If there is a drop in size, it would indicate a purge of information.

As I said, this may be beyond my skills, but these answers may help understand the issue.

Sorry I don't any saintly "all problems solved" powers, Dave

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 1:24 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave, I don't know if this is related, but I have just noticed that I have lost ALL of my citations, from 4 separate trees.  I have gone cold!
>
> I tried exiting GRAMPS and reloading, but they are not there.  I did use the MERGE Citations option on just one tree earlier, but it seemed to run OK.
>
> I then tried recovering from two earlier .gramps files but there are still no citations.
>
> Please tell me that I haven't lost them all.
>
> Martin
> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Martnal
This post was updated on .
Dave, Brian, the Status Bar record counter visible at the lower right shows
174/174, or 1501/1501 depending on which tree I am looking at.  No filters are set.  Min Conf is set to Normal.

There are no citations in the Citation View.

In the Source view, there are citation References on each record.

In a Person View, there are Citations in the Bottom Bar Citation Tab
sometimes, and sometimes <No Citation>, sometimes both for a single person.

I don't know which database I am using.  It is whatever the Windows 10
default installation uses.

The list of backups sorted by date, does NOT show a drop in file size, for
any tree.

Something is very odd, but I think my data is still there, so I will sleep
soundly tonight.  Thanks for your ongoing help.  I am sure others will
benefit from this experience.

If you suggest that I reinstall, should I remove the existing installation
first, or just over-write it?

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Hi Martin

Each view has a record count.  You state that there are no citations
in the Citation View, but a count of 174/174 ??

As to the database type (or backend) go to the menu Family Trees >>
Manage Family Trees. Your trees as listed here and shows which type.
If it was SQLite, you probably would know that so I am guessing BSDDB
.

But since you state that the citations show in other areas, yes, you
can relax that they are still there. We just need to figure out why
they are not displayed in the Citation View.

Brian and I will also cogitate on it tonight.

Dave

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 4:51 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave, Brian, the Status Bar record counter visible at the lower right shows
> 174/174, or 1502/1502, depending on which tree I look at.  No filters are
> set.  Min Conf is set to Normal.
>
> There are no citations in the Citation View.
>
> In the Source view, there are citation References on each record.
>
> In a Person View, there are Citations in the Bottom Bar Citation Tab
> sometimes, and sometimes <No Citation>, sometimes both for a single person.
>
> I don't know which database I am using.  It is whatever the Windows 10
> default installation uses.
>
> The list of backups sorted by date, does NOT show a drop in file size, for
> any tree.
>
> Something is very odd, but I think my data is still there, so I will sleep
> soundly tonight.  Thanks for your ongoing help.  I am sure others will
> benefit from this experience.
>
> If you suggest that I reinstall, should I remove the existing installation
> first, or just over-write it?
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Dave Scheipers
And I just had another thought....

In the Citation View, create a new Filter rule. General filters >>
Every citation. Save it then run in the citation view's side bar
filter.

Make sure to run it on all of your databases.

That's all I got tonight.

Dave

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 5:31 PM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Martin
>
> Each view has a record count.  You state that there are no citations
> in the Citation View, but a count of 174/174 ??
>
> As to the database type (or backend) go to the menu Family Trees >>
> Manage Family Trees. Your trees as listed here and shows which type.
> If it was SQLite, you probably would know that so I am guessing BSDDB
> .
>
> But since you state that the citations show in other areas, yes, you
> can relax that they are still there. We just need to figure out why
> they are not displayed in the Citation View.
>
> Brian and I will also cogitate on it tonight.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 4:51 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dave, Brian, the Status Bar record counter visible at the lower right shows
> > 174/174, or 1502/1502, depending on which tree I look at.  No filters are
> > set.  Min Conf is set to Normal.
> >
> > There are no citations in the Citation View.
> >
> > In the Source view, there are citation References on each record.
> >
> > In a Person View, there are Citations in the Bottom Bar Citation Tab
> > sometimes, and sometimes <No Citation>, sometimes both for a single person.
> >
> > I don't know which database I am using.  It is whatever the Windows 10
> > default installation uses.
> >
> > The list of backups sorted by date, does NOT show a drop in file size, for
> > any tree.
> >
> > Something is very odd, but I think my data is still there, so I will sleep
> > soundly tonight.  Thanks for your ongoing help.  I am sure others will
> > benefit from this experience.
> >
> > If you suggest that I reinstall, should I remove the existing installation
> > first, or just over-write it?
> >
> > Martin
> >

> > -----
> >
> > Martin, SW London
> >
> > Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> > FT-DNA Kit B388093.
> >
> > Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> > Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> > Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> > Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> > Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
> >
> > I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> > --
> > Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Had a thought.  Could be that the View Configure file has become corrupted.  So this view doesn't know which fields to display. (Or maybe the first field has been set to infinite width!)

Try the following:
1) go into the Citation View
2) choose Configure... from the View menu
3) select checkboxes for ALL the Column names
4) click the Apply button (IMPORTANT!)
5) click the Close button

Note: the bottom horizontal scroll bar is invisible until the mouse pointer rolls over.

Perhaps one of our Developers can say what file might be affected? It might be be able to be deleted to reset to default.

-Brian

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 16:46, Dave Scheipers
And I just had another thought....

In the Citation View, create a new Filter rule. General filters >>
Every citation. Save it then run in the citation view's side bar
filter.

Make sure to run it on all of your databases.

That's all I got tonight.

Dave

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 5:31 PM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Martin
>
> Each view has a record count.  You state that there are no citations
> in the Citation View, but a count of 174/174 ??
>
> As to the database type (or backend) go to the menu Family Trees >>
> Manage Family Trees. Your trees as listed here and shows which type.
> If it was SQLite, you probably would know that so I am guessing BSDDB
> .
>
> But since you state that the citations show in other areas, yes, you
> can relax that they are still there. We just need to figure out why
> they are not displayed in the Citation View.
>
> Brian and I will also cogitate on it tonight.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 4:51 PM Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dave, Brian, the Status Bar record counter visible at the lower right shows
> > 174/174, or 1502/1502, depending on which tree I look at.  No filters are
> > set.  Min Conf is set to Normal.
> >
> > There are no citations in the Citation View.
> >
> > In the Source view, there are citation References on each record.
> >
> > In a Person View, there are Citations in the Bottom Bar Citation Tab
> > sometimes, and sometimes <No Citation>, sometimes both for a single person.
> >
> > I don't know which database I am using.  It is whatever the Windows 10
> > default installation uses.
> >
> > The list of backups sorted by date, does NOT show a drop in file size, for
> > any tree.
> >
> > Something is very odd, but I think my data is still there, so I will sleep
> > soundly tonight.  Thanks for your ongoing help.  I am sure others will
> > benefit from this experience.
> >
> > If you suggest that I reinstall, should I remove the existing installation
> > first, or just over-write it?
> >
> > Martin
> >

> > -----
> >
> > Martin, SW London
> >
> > Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> > FT-DNA Kit B388093.
> >
> > Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> > Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> > Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> > Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> > Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
> >
> > I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> > --
> > Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Martnal
I will try all these suggestions in the morning.  The heating has timed off
and it is very cold.  My databases are all BSDDB, EXCEPT for one I created
today, SQLite.  That seems odd.

Thanks again, this is my most scary data-loss problem since 1984.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Dave Scheipers
The new default is now SQLite. More knowledgeable people can tell you
why this is better.  The default database option can be selected in
preferences.

Dave

On 30/11/2019 23:18, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
Perhaps one of our Developers can say what file might be affected? It might be be able to be deleted to reset to default.

The configuration file for the citation list view is:

~/.gramps/gramps51/Citations_citationlistview.ini

It can safely be deleted in which case it will be created using default values when Gramps is next started.

On 01/12/2019 02:07, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> The new default is now SQLite. More knowledgeable people can tell you
> why this is better.  The default database option can be selected in
> preferences.

The SQLite backend is a better choice because:

1. It avoids issues with corrupt BSDDB environments. Unfortunately we
still don't fully understand the cause.

2. It is more portable, consisting of a single file that is less version
sensitive.

3. It can be opened outside the Gramps application.  This could be
useful in the future if we decide to store objects in a less opaque format.

In future major versions, we may decide to remove the BSDDB backend.

Re: GraphView plugin - installation problems

Martnal
Nick and all, I deleted Citations_citationlistview.ini

When I started GRAMPS my citations had returned.  (I think the expression is
something like, "Houston, we are all breathing again")

Thank you all for your prompt and great help.  I'd love to know what caused
this scare.

Enjoy the rest of the Thanksgiving weekend.  (My mother in law is from
Missouri.  She is still fluent after 55 years in the UK.)

Thanks again,

Martin

-----