Graphical view of the whole database and its customization

Ari

Graphical view of the whole database and its customization

Ari
Hi,

I am new to GRAMPS, I am porting my geneological tree into it (2.2.4-1 on Ubuntu Edgy), and I would like to obtain a graphical 'pedigree' type of view for the whole database (as opposed to the 'pedigree' chart with ancestor or descendants of a single person). I can't find the way to do it; the provided graphical views of the geneological tree seem to be centered in a given person.

Also I'd like to customize the information displayed inside each person's box in the pedigree view, if this is possible. I added a few custom attributes to the persons in my database, and I'd like them displayed in the pedigree view.

I found references that plugins exist to generate customized reports however I can't find a plugin repository for instance. I wonder if a plugin exists to do what I mention above.

Thanks!
Ariel

Re: Graphical view of the whole database and its customization

Piotr Czubaszek-2
Ariel,

On 1/13/07, Ariel Pablo Topasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Piotr for your quick reply!

I installed the graphviz package, and generated the 'graph' in dot format. Now it looks like I need another application to read the dot file (I did a quick test with 'dotty' which is pretty crude) and export that to SVG or maybe pdf. Can you recommend something for this?

Also I noticed with dotty problems in the display of accented characters in Spanish names. Is this just dotty (and hopefully fixed in another dot application) or a more basic limitation with dot files?

You don't need to handle the .dot file yourself, I could have made it clear. If you choose Reports -> Graphical reports -> Relationship graph, you may choose the output file format (preferrably SVG) and GRAMPS will create a ready to use file itself. There are some options you may choose from. To get national characters display correctly, you should uncheck the need to use latin-1 text format on GraphViz options tab.

Piotrek

Ari

Re: Graphical view of the whole database and its customization

Ari
Thanks again. I could export the relationship graph in compressed svg format and then open it in Inkscape to improve the look, add images &such, it is really cool. (for some reason non-compressed svg did not work with inkscape).

I have yet to experiment having my custom attibutes added to the graph nodes following your suggestion. Also it would be awesome to have the person image automatically added to the c-svg file :) but I guess that would be rather difficult.

Thanks!

Piotr Czubaszek-2 wrote
Ariel,

On 1/13/07, Ari wrote:

> Thanks Piotr for your quick reply!
>
> I installed the graphviz package, and generated the 'graph' in dot format.
> Now it looks like I need another application to read the dot file (I did a
> quick test with 'dotty' which is pretty crude) and export that to SVG or
> maybe pdf. Can you recommend something for this?
>
> Also I noticed with dotty problems in the display of accented characters
> in Spanish names. Is this just dotty (and hopefully fixed in another dot
> application) or a more basic limitation with dot files?

You don't need to handle the .dot file yourself, I could have made it clear.
If you choose Reports -> Graphical reports -> Relationship graph, you may
choose the output file format (preferrably SVG) and GRAMPS will create a
ready to use file
itself. There are some options you may choose from. To get national
characters display correctly, you should uncheck the need to use
latin-1 text format on GraphViz options tab.

Piotrek

Re: Graphical view of the whole database and its customization

Adam Stein
Within the graphviz package, is a program called "dot" that will convert
the DOT format file to different formats.  From the man page:

OUTPUT FORMATS
       -Tps  (PostScript),  -Tsvg  -Tsvgz  (Structured Vector Graphics),
-Tfig
       (XFIG graphics), -Tmif (FrameMaker graphics), -Thpgl (HP pen
plotters),
       and  -Tpcl  (Laserjet  printers), -Tpng -Tgif (bitmap graphics),
-Timap
       (imagemap files for httpd servers for each node or edge that has
a non-
       null  "href" attribute.), -Tcmapx (client-side imagemap for use
in html
       and xhtml).  Additional less common or more special-purpose
output for-
       mats can be found at
http://www.graphviz.org/cvs/doc/info/output.html.)

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 10:46 -0800, Ari El wrote:

> Thanks again. I could export the relationship graph in compressed svg format
> and then open it in Inkscape to improve the look, add images &such, it is
> really cool. (for some reason non-compressed svg did not work with
> inkscape).
>
> I have yet to experiment having my custom attibutes added to the graph nodes
> following your suggestion. Also it would be awesome to have the person image
> automatically added to the c-svg file :) but I guess that would be rather
> difficult.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Piotr Czubaszek-2 wrote:
> >
> > Ariel,
> >
> > On 1/13/07, Ari wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks Piotr for your quick reply!
> >>
> >> I installed the graphviz package, and generated the 'graph' in dot
> >> format.
> >> Now it looks like I need another application to read the dot file (I did
> >> quick test with 'dotty' which is pretty crude) and export that to SVG or
> >> maybe pdf. Can you recommend something for this?
> >>
> >> Also I noticed with dotty problems in the display of accented characters
> >> in Spanish names. Is this just dotty (and hopefully fixed in another dot
> >> application) or a more basic limitation with dot files?
> >

> > You don't need to handle the .dot file yourself, I could have made it
> > clear.
> > If you choose Reports -> Graphical reports -> Relationship graph, you may
> > choose the output file format (preferrably SVG) and GRAMPS will create a
> > ready to use file
> > itself. There are some options you may choose from. To get national
> > characters display correctly, you should uncheck the need to use
> > latin-1 text format on GraphViz options tab.
> >
> > Piotrek

Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer: All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]