Graphs. hourglass. more than 15 layers. how to show?

Graphs. hourglass. more than 15 layers. how to show?

Brian McMillan of Remax & Queenstown

Hi All.

Ive been trying to use the hourglass graph.  It establishes a maximum of 15 layers.

How do I get it to show more/the lot? (on this kind of easy-to-follow graph).

Further, has anyone figured if one can get siblings to show (on a graph?)

Brian..

Re: Graphs. hourglass. more than 15 layers. how to show?

Brian McMillan of Remax & Queenstown

Thank you Sam…I shall explore.

How does one “request a feature” ? can I pay for a such?

Hi Brian,

Yes 15 layers  (  Max Descendant Generations / Max Ancestor Generations ) seems to be the limit on that chart as it is currently coded ( or a limit of Graphviz the external chart generator program), I suggest you raise a feature request[1].  You could also experiment by modifying the report code directly (after making a backup of the code file course ).

Exit Gramps and find the program file

gramps/plugins/graph/gvhourglass.py

For "Max Descendant Generation"on the following[2] line

> max_gen_d = NumberOption(_('Max Descendant Generations'), 10, 1, 15)

change the number "15" to a higher

and for

For " Max Ancestor Generations" on the following[3] line

> max_gen_a = NumberOption(_('Max Ancestor Generations'), 10, 1, 15)

change the number "15" to a higher

Save the changes and then Start Gramps with the changes and test that it works for you and let the mailing list know?

The chart as it is currently does not show siblings that would also be a separate feature request[1].

Kind regards

Sam

PS: The support page for this Chart is here:

... Identical Post:

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 10:23, Brian McMillan of Remax & Queenstown <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All.

Ive been trying to use the hourglass graph.  It establishes a maximum of 15 layers.

How do I get it to show more/the lot? (on this kind of easy-to-follow graph).

Further, has anyone figured if one can get siblings to show (on a graph?)

Brian..

Re: Graphs. hourglass. more than 15 layers. how to show?

Ron Johnson

At the bottom of this email is a link to the Gramps bugs site.  That's where you open a bug report which requests a new feature instead of complaining about something that's broken.