Gravestones

Allan Topp
I have struggled to find an effective way to connect gravestones
(pictures, cemetery maps and inscriptions), which refer to more than one
person, to the various deceased.

I would imagine this is not an uncommon situation.  Would anyone like to
share how they handle this?

TIA

Allan

Re: Gravestones

Richard Taylor-2
Allan

Everyone has their own approach to this sort of thing.

I would:

        1. add the graveyard as a Repository
        2. add a new Source object for the gravestone and attach the image to the
Source object.
        3. add the new Source to the graveyard Repository
        4. for each person that appears on the gravestone, add a Source Reference
linked to the Source.

Using this approach you can easily find:

        a. all the gravestone in a graveyard
        b. all the people on a particular gravestone

Regards

Richard

On Monday 26 February 2007 12:48, Allan Topp wrote:

> I have struggled to find an effective way to connect gravestones
> (pictures, cemetery maps and inscriptions), which refer to more than one
> person, to the various deceased.
>
> I would imagine this is not an uncommon situation.  Would anyone like to
> share how they handle this?
>
> TIA
>
> Allan

Re: Gravestones

bm-7

I used to take pictures. Then, I added them as media object to the different
people. The media object is then shared.

However, in the future, I intend to reorganize this, as at the end, even if I
only have picture, the tomb is used for information like a source is. So:

1.add a repository for the graveyard.

2.add a source for graveyard information like cemetry map, with media
object eg
scanned map

3.add a source for every gravestone picture. The source has in the note
what is
written on the gravestone, and as media reference the picture

4.if there is a picture of a person, I might add it to the gallery of
the person
too.

5.connect people to the source. The sourceref might indicate extra info
concerning only this person on this source, eg a description of the search for
the tomb from records.

Why the above?
1. get a list of all people on one cemetry by listing the repository
2. have text and picture in the source
3. share source instead of picture between the people on the same tomb,
so death
event is linked to the source.

Benny

Quoting Allan Topp <[hidden email]>:

> I have struggled to find an effective way to connect gravestones
> (pictures, cemetery maps and inscriptions), which refer to more than one
> person, to the various deceased.
>
> I would imagine this is not an uncommon situation.  Would anyone like to
> share how they handle this?
>
> TIA
>
> Allan

Re: Gravestones

Allan Topp
Thanks to both for your responses.  Sounds like a real good idea.
Certainly got my synapses firing.

Allan