Gtk 3.16?

DS Blank
Devs,

Josip reports on issue #7867 [1] that the weird Gtk table no-show-data bug has been fixed in Gtk 3.16. That bug looks like it has been reported in the tracker at least 7 times, and both Nick and I have tried to find work-arounds.

Some questions:

Should we make this a suggested/required minimum version for Gramps 4.2?

Is there an easy way to upgrade to Gtk 3.16 on Mac and Linux? I assume that the Windows version can just be packaged with it. (Specifically, I am wondering what Ubuntu I can use to easily get this).

-Doug

[1] - https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7867

Re: Gtk 3.16?

Ross Gammon
On 05/16/2015 02:28 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
.2?

> Is there an easy way to upgrade to Gtk 3.16 on Mac and Linux? I assume
> that the Windows version can just be packaged with it. (Specifically, I
> am wondering what Ubuntu I can use to easily get this).

I was just bug triaging some of the gui type bugs in Ubuntu this morning
before uploading Gramps 4.1.3.

Both Debian & Ubuntu went with gtk+ 3.14 for their releases last month.
There is an explanation of why Ubuntu decided not to go with 3.16 (which
would have had some advantages for them) here:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-15-04-Almost-Got-GTK-plus-3-16-But-Too-Many-Things-Needed-Fixing-473642.shtml

Now their releases are out, it is likely they will switch over to 3.16
in the coming months as 3.16 is stated as the current stable branch of
the gnome website.

But for now, you would have to build from source.

Ross

Re: Gtk 3.16?

DS Blank
On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Ross Gammon <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/16/2015 02:28 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
.2?

> Is there an easy way to upgrade to Gtk 3.16 on Mac and Linux? I assume
> that the Windows version can just be packaged with it. (Specifically, I
> am wondering what Ubuntu I can use to easily get this).

I was just bug triaging some of the gui type bugs in Ubuntu this morning
before uploading Gramps 4.1.3.

Both Debian & Ubuntu went with gtk+ 3.14 for their releases last month.
There is an explanation of why Ubuntu decided not to go with 3.16 (which
would have had some advantages for them) here:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-15-04-Almost-Got-GTK-plus-3-16-But-Too-Many-Things-Needed-Fixing-473642.shtml

Now their releases are out, it is likely they will switch over to 3.16
in the coming months as 3.16 is stated as the current stable branch of
the gnome website.

But for now, you would have to build from source.

Ross, thank you for this information.

So, it sounds like we should recommend staying with at least Gtk 3.10 for now, but upgrading to 3.16 when possible.

Clicking the column title to evoke a sort does force the columns to show. And perhaps we can still find some magic Gtk for a work-around.

-Doug

Ross

Re: Gtk 3.16?

John Ralls-2

> On May 16, 2015, at 7:28 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Devs,
>
> Josip reports on issue #7867 [1] that the weird Gtk table no-show-data bug has been fixed in Gtk 3.16. That bug looks like it has been reported in the tracker at least 7 times, and both Nick and I have tried to find work-arounds.
>
> Some questions:
>
> Should we make this a suggested/required minimum version for Gramps 4.2?
>
> Is there an easy way to upgrade to Gtk 3.16 on Mac and Linux? I assume that the Windows version can just be packaged with it. (Specifically, I am wondering what Ubuntu I can use to easily get this).

MacOSX is like windows: It’s an all-in-one package and I already plan to have gtk+-3.16 in the 4.2 bundle.

Linux is another matter entirely. Gtk is a core library that’s controlled by the distro, and except for Arch and maybe Gentoo none of them will do anything but bug-fix updates (the third value in the release number) in one of their releases. The first one will be Fedora 22, releasing on the 26th with 3.16. Ubuntu 15.04 has 3.14 and if 3.16 makes it into Debian unstable before September 15.10 will have it — but at present unstable has 3.14.5. Debian Jessie just went stable in January, so Stretch, the current testing, won’t go stable until 2017. RHEL/Centos are similarly conservative, but Red Hat doesn’t divulge upcoming release schedules. That seems to be the case with SuSE as well.

Regards,
John Ralls