Guidance needed on Sources and Citations

Guidance needed on Sources and Citations

Edward Campbell
I'm confused as to how to properly document sources, repositories and
citations especially when info found in familysearch.org.

For example I have the following from familysearch.org:
Citing this Record
"North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 ," database with images,
FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F836-D4K : 22
December 2016), J. H. Campbell and M. E. Geer, 11 Mar 1900; citing ,
Rutherford, North Carolina, United States, p. , Office of Archives and
History, Division of Archives and Records. State Archive of North
Carolina and various county Register of Deeds; FHL microfilm 428,313.

That seems to contain a lot of valuable information but I don't know
how to break it down into comparable fields.

Questions:
1. From this what goes in the Source Input Form fields Title, Author,
Pub Info, Abbreviation?
2. From this what goes in the Respository Input Form Reference fields
Media Type, and Call Number?
3. From this what goes in the Respository Input Form Shared fields
Name, Type?
4. From this what goes in the Citation Input Form fields Data,
Vol/Page?

I'm truly an amateur at genealogy and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Guidance needed on Sources and Citations

Ron Johnson
A lot is personal style (especially when deciding what to store).  Here's what I do for a very similar source:

Source:
Title:   North Carolina Civil Marriages, 1763-1868
Author:   FamilySearch

Citation (under North Carolina Civil Marriages, 1763-1868):
Volume/Page: GS Film Number 418153 / Digital Folder Number 004364066 / Image Number 00821
Citation Notes:
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q296-987F : 22 February 2016
    (Direct copy/paste of the data on the web page.)
    Name     Mecans Casstevens
    Event Type     Marriage Notice
    Event Date     07 Apr 1852
    Event Place     Yadkin, North Carolina, United States
    Gender     Male
    Spouse's Name     Jane Rodes
    Spouse's Gender     Female

That's it.  Nothing more.  If there were an image associated with the record, then I'd download it and attach it to the citation.

On 02/02/2017 12:00 PM, Edward Campbell wrote:
[...]

Peter Merchant
Edward, There was a long discussion on this back in August last year. Lots of different opinions. There is no internationally officially recognised way of doing it was the conclusion. Everybody tailors it to how they want to do it. For me, from those discussions, I decided to do it this way:

Conclusions

Repository                         → Source                       → Citations

Collection of Sources         Book for example          Page in Book

Sources do not need a repository

examples

Emails                                    Sender                        about whom

Personal Archive                  Uncle reggie –             Chart/Photo/Letter

                                       Census 1861 – Ancestry        include Orig number of document.

                                               FreeBMD

                                              FamilySearch   ** not absolutely sure about this one because the LDS have their own copies of some records and get others elsewhere it seems to me.

SEAX ( Essex Archives)              church records                 page x

I  haven't got around to applying this all retrospectively yet, so I am sure that I will add more.

Peter M.

On 02/02/17 18:28, Ron Johnson wrote:
A lot is personal style (especially when deciding what to store).  Here's what I do for a very similar source:

Source:
Title:   North Carolina Civil Marriages, 1763-1868

Re: Guidance needed on Sources and Citations

Hi Ron,

Remember, the main reason to create a citation, is so that someone else can go to the same repository, look in the same book or database, go to the same page or record and see the same set of facts. Not sure that genealogist/family historians can be charged with plagiarizing vital records but one of our goals should be not perpetuating bad information. Citations help with that.

This is how I would handle the above record, others may do it differently.

Repository: FamilySearch.org
When attached to the source record, Media Type: Internet. It's not a book (which would have the Call/Shell number. And this doesn't show you a scan of the actual page, so it's not a photo.

Source:
Title: North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979
Author: State Archive of North Carolina

Citation:
Date: 11 Mar 1900
And in an attached note, I put the URL https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F836-D4K  which is what you need to get back to the record you're citing. I suppose I could copy and paste the entire verbiage that FamilySearch, and Ancestry, offers. Most of the offered verbiage is included in what I've created except the date that I accessed the record which I suppose should go in the date field instead of the date of the event.

If there had been a scan of the actual record, I would have downloaded it, naming it according to how FamilySearch or Ancestry organize the records; what's provided across the top of the image which also includes the source info. That info gets put in the Volume\Page line along with any unique identifier from the image; line #, certificate #, etc.

And I always double check that I'm doing the same thing if I've already have the source record. Consistency and to make doubly sure that this isn't a duplicate.

Hope this helps, Dave