HTML Tables -- New twist

ACProctor
Nick, did you say that the Gramps notes/narrative feature supports HTML tables? I remember it coming up in a previous discussion of WYSIWYG editors -- STEMMA has them since V4.0 so I need the ability to add them, and the CKEditor that I'm trialling does support them.

However, the reason for this thread is a digression on that feature. STEMMA has a script language that can be used to query its memory-resident objects, and I know Gramps has a similar capability. I'm about to hook these things together so that a user can write a narrative page that includes a <table> feeding from an arbitrary query. It's early days yet but I see huge potential in this being employed by "power users" as a primitive application feature. For instance: 'I want to see all the so-and-so that were present at such-and-such and were related to xyz'. Any query that yields a simple row-set can be fed into a <table>, amidst narrative created by that user. All they need then is a way of including a link to that narrative page on their start-up screen or in some menu option. Every time they view the page, the query is re-executed so the results will always be consistent with the underlying data.

I hope to write about this, once I've explored it better, but I want to share it here as a possible feature that Gramps could implement too.

    Tony

Re: HTML Tables -- New twist

Nick Hall
On 25/01/16 13:46, Tony Proctor wrote:
Nick, did you say that the Gramps notes/narrative feature supports HTML tables? I remember it coming up in a previous discussion of WYSIWYG editors -- STEMMA has them since V4.0 so I need the ability to add them, and the CKEditor that I'm trialling does support them.

No. There is no support for lists or tables in Gramps notes.

[...]

In Gramps, a power would do this by writing a gramplet or quick view.  A gramplet can be added to the Dashboard or the sidebar or bottombar of views.  A quick view is available in context menus.

Re: HTML Tables -- New twist

ACProctor
OK. Is that simply viewing the results, Nick, or are they embedded in some narrative, say for a report?

    Tony