HTML view

Nick Hall
Serge,

Can we remove the HTML view?  Currently it is disabled by default.

It has a bug that looks easy to fix:

8023: HTML view fails to load

Is it worth the effort to continue supporting it though?

Re: HTML view

Serge Noiraud-2
Hi,

Le 13/03/2015 22:41, Nick Hall a écrit :
> Serge,
>
> Can we remove the HTML view?  Currently it is disabled by default.
This module was linked to the old geography view before 3.3
I based the new one on osm-gps-map, so the htmlview module (htmlrenderer.*) is no more needed.

We can drop it without problem. Perhaps some people use it. I don't know.
Perhaps we should ask to the user list ?

> It has a bug that looks easy to fix:
>
> 8023: HTML view fails to load
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8023
>
> Is it worth the effort to continue supporting it though?
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.
Serge

Re: HTML view

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Nick Hall wrote
Serge,

Can we remove the HTML view?  Currently it is disabled by default.

It has a bug that looks easy to fix:

8023: HTML view fails to load

Is it worth the effort to continue supporting it though?

Yes, remove it from core Gramps.

When I documented it for the wiki manual [1], I had to read the code to discover how it was disabled, and how to enable it. The description shows how complicated the whole process is!

It seems VERY strange to have a core view that is disabled by default. Given that it wasn't documented before 4.1, I think it very unlikely that many users would discover it by themselves!

I think that the Mac port doesn't provide this category, because the library is too large to make worth including.

So, yes, remove it.

Tim.

P.s. Maybe it should be placed into addons, just in case anyone actually wants to use it.

[1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Categories#Web_Category

Re: HTML view

Nick Hall
On 15/03/15 14:52, Tim Lyons wrote:
> P.s. Maybe it should be placed into addons, just in case anyone actually
> wants to use it.

Good idea.  Doug already suggested this in the bug report.

I'll move it into the third-party addons repository.