Quantcast

Half-siblings in Relationships section

antineff
I found a strange issue with siblings that only share the father or the mother in the relations section (I hope I name all items correctly as I use the German version).

Normaly siblings are not indicated if there is none. If there are some, all siblings are indicated, even the invoked person itself. So far so good.

But if a person has a half-brother or half-sister, only the invoked person is indicated as a sibling but not the half-sibling.

As I understand this: Gramps "knows" that there is another sibling and opens the siblings entry. But since it is not a full sibling, it is left out in the list.

I think half-siblings should be indicated in the relationships.

Re: Half-siblings in Relationships section

antineff
Is this software still supported? Otherwise I should switch to another one.

Re: Half-siblings in Relationships section

Benny Malengier

2012/3/19 antineff <[hidden email]>
Is this software still supported? Otherwise I should switch to another one.

The software is supported, but the bug list is not the venue for problems, it is only the lowest barrier to contact developers, so everybody has the option to voice his concerns.
The user list and devel list are active, and the bug tracker also, which is the adviced way to submit bugs/issues.

From your description, I have no idea on what screen you are looking or what you are doing. Please be more precise and use the name of the screens (or screenshot)

Re: Half-siblings in Relationships section

antineff
Thank you Benny for responding! I am really very sorry about understanding this place as a forum for getting answers for found problems. So I'm not sure which of the provided forums would have been the better choice.

As I wrote already, I'm using the german version of Gramps but I looked it up on the Gramps homepage: I miss half-siblings on the relationships screen. How precise can I be?

Thank you!

2012/3/22 antineff <[hidden email]>
Thank you Benny for responding! I am really very sorry about understanding
this place as a forum for getting answers for found problems. So I'm not
sure which of the provided forums would have been the better choice.

As I wrote already, I'm using the german version of Gramps but I looked it
up on the Gramps homepage: I miss half-siblings on the relationships screen.
How precise can I be?

Relationship screen is organized by family, so if you do not add half-siblings to a family, you don't see them with that family.
The idea is that if people lived together, you add them to a family so it is clear with the eye that these people had a close relationship. You add them however to the family with a non-birth relation to (one or all) of the parents.

General questions should be asked on gramps-users list, if you believe you found a bug, http://bugs.gramps-project.org is the website to use.

Benny

Thank you!