Hello!

Kunjappu Abhijith.R
Hi, I'm a new user of gramps. I am attempting to create a family tree as a passive project.
So, there's one doubt I have, that's whether or how to visualize a family tree without centering around a single person in Gramps?

Re: Hello!

Dave Scheipers
Welcome

I suppose you need to look at how wide and deep you want to make your genealogy.

Some people put their focus on themselves and then move back in time
to their parents, grandparents great... and try to take it back as far
as possible. but that focuses on the one person (and their siblings)..

To focus on the families, while moving backwards to the parents,
grandparents, etc you could also look at all the members of those
families and their families coming forward. All the cousins. I think
this is what you mean by not centering on one person. But even doing
this, you would still need to set a focus to your research. It does
not make much sense to do research on people not related to yourself
beyond the in-laws and their parents unless there is some special
connection to that family.

Your cousins, while you will share common grandparents, they will have
lineages to whom you are not related. What do you know or want to know
about these families? Only you can answer that.

I am doing my genealogies with all the cousins and their families. But
even with this, I have put the focus on myself. I have myself set as
the Home Person and have Gramps showing me how I am related to any
person I am researching. Beyond the in-law married to a cousin, I am
not that interested in that person's family beyond who their parents
are/were. But that still makes it the genealogy of MY family. A
cousin, even a first cousin, would have a different genealogy with
different lines and different families.

I am not sure what you mean by a "Passive Project" unless you mean
that you are only interested in the connections between people with
the barest of information... births, marriages and deaths. Again, you
need to decide how deep you want to go into each person's life and
what you record. You do not have to research any fact relying solely
on what your various family members tell you about who are the members
of their families. Or you can see if you can find for yourself when
and where people were born, married and died. You do not have to find
all those various facts available about your relatives, what they did
for a living, where did they move to, which side of a war they served
on or which ship they sailed on.

I started my genealogy when I got my first computer (an Apple IIe) and
took it upon myself to gather all that my grandmother knew so that
information was not lost. The who was married to whom with the barest
of facts. For the longest time that met my needs. It is only recently
that I am now going back to find the documentation to support all that
my grandmother told me and fleshing out the basic facts about my
family's lives..

I hope this helps and I hope you are not scared you off. It is your
genealogy and you decide on how much, or how little, you record in
your genealogy. There is no one right way of doing genealogy.

Dave

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Kunjappu Abhijith.R
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new user of gramps. I am attempting to create a family tree as a
> passive project.
> So, there's one doubt I have, that's whether or how to visualize a family
> tree without centering around a single person in Gramps?

Re: Hello!

Kunjappu Abhijith.R
>I hope this helps and I hope you are not scared you off.

Well, that sure was a decently sized wall of text!

>I am not sure what you mean by a "Passive Project"

I meant that I'm doing it for non-official reasons, like an issue-of-interest.

>took it upon myself to gather all that my grandmother knew so that
>information was not lost.

This is sort of the reason I've finally decided to no longer postpone making such a tree for my significantly large and quite distant family. My Grandfather is quite old and he's slowly losing his memories, so I decided to collect as much information from him as possible (He's probably the oldest person alive on the family right now)

So, as of now I'm entirely focused on the motive I mentioned above and procede to expand (With in-laws and their tree) whether or if my extended family members likes to provide me with their details. For now, I'll be just focusing on collecting data that's easily reachable for me.

Anyhow, I found the exact graph I was looking for in "relationship graph". And, thanks for replying, I was actually half expecting this mail-list to be a graveyard like many other opensource projects, but you were here, thank you.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, I'm a new user of gramps. I am attempting to create a family tree as a
> passive project.
> So, there's one doubt I have, that's whether or how to visualize a family
> tree without centering around a single person in Gramps?

Re: Hello!

Garry Leach-2
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your detailed response. I think that you have laid it out quite well.

I have done something similar, in not going too wide for early generations (for example I found a 6th cousin in Wales, UK (via asking at the local pub! unbelievable luck), who was able to help me with my own direct line; I have not included her details in Gramps, but still communicate with her).

On the other hand, I have taken my (& my wife's) first cousins, & included their spouses & descendants, most of whom are still alive. I may not be still alive for many more years - I am now that 80 y.o. grandfather you mentioned in your own case. I was too late in starting the recording, so no one of my preceding generation was still alive, but fortunately a cousin gave me some hand-written notes, written by one of the now long since deceased uncles.

I also helped one of my cousins to build his family tree.  His ancestors go back to French Canada & even France (16th century). This family is very active in Canada (& around the world now), & communicate via a family group in Facebook (with over 1,000 members). Researching is good fun, when you have access to good records... But their records had no info for the Australian branch, so a lot of research was required, even phone calls to people with the same surname as their mother's maiden name.

For my own tree, I have not been able to back beyond the 17th century, & some of that is a bit hazy.

Anyway, I do appreciate the way that the Gramps users help with problems.

I started using Gramps about 10 years ago, but possibly like many people, handled some of the recording in the wrong way. examples:
Recording marriage info as a person's event, rather than via the marriage relationship.
Creating thousands of places, instead of keeping that at a higher level, & the more specific detail in the event.
Other minor items that I can no longer remember.

Garry.