Help needed with Reports

Richard Troxel
I've been using Gramps now for several years and I think that it is a very powerful tool for building a family tree, even an extensive one like mine, currently sporting over 800 individuals and expected to grow to around 2,000 within a year or so. Sadly, the canned reports leave a lot to be desired. Some I like a lot, others however, are disappointing. 1st, you have to be a Java programmer to create or modify a report. For over a decade I was a value added reseller and consultant for a sophisticated, customizable accounting software package. I've created hundreds of often complex reports from both Btrieve (early days) and MicroSoft SQL databases, but this intimidates me. I am disappointed that a user cannot readily customize a packaged report. We are told that we can tick off boxes to include or exclude (like attributes) but they don't show up on the report regardless the selection. Reports like "Detailed Descendants Book and Detailed Descendants Report" include redundant sections called "More about Person" which restates events just enumerated in the opening paragraph. A three hundred page report on the whole tree could take hours or days to clean up manually. Are there any plans to make Reports more user friendly and flexible?

It's great that Gramps has all these buckets for collecting data, but what good are they if we cannot include them in our reports? In a way that works for us?

Thanks for listening,
Rich

Re: Help needed with Reports

Ron Johnson
On 5/26/19 12:06 AM, Richard Troxel wrote:
I've been using Gramps now for several years and I think that it is a very powerful tool for building a family tree, even an extensive one like mine, currently sporting over 800 individuals and expected to grow to around 2,000 within a year or so. Sadly, the canned reports leave a lot to be desired. Some I like a lot, others however, are disappointing. 1st, you have to be a Java programmer

Python.  I'm sure it was just a typo...

[...]

Reporting has always been Gramps' weak point.  If/when the data gets stored as columns instead of Python pickles, a world of other tools will be available to Gramps users.  Until then, though, you've got to learn the deep details.

(It's made somewhat easier if you convert your tree to SQLite.)