Help!

Alain Pastor
Hi everybody,

First of all my apologies for my broken English. I’m new to this forum,
and I've subscribed to the mailing-list because I’m facing a problem I
can’t seem to handle on my own.

I've just updated Gramps today from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. It was my first
session with the latest version.

I was editing events, changing "religious baptism" to "baptism" (not
sure of the English terms here) to a few records, so I was navigating
form event view (in order to ckeck which record had the attribute
"religious baptism" to person view (where I can edit the record and make
change to the type of event).

But, I got an error on the last record that I wanted to change and got a
message telling me to quit Gramps as soon as possible.

Now when I launch Gramps I get every time an error message telling me
that my data are safe and inviting me to report a bug and change (to no
avail) the last view in gramps.ini, but no matter what I do, the
application refuses to launch, telling me I must re-start Gramps in a
kind of infinite loop.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck at this time and can't access my data. (note that
since it was not a major release I didn't make a backup, so I'm quite
nervous about my data).

Notice also that reverting to the previous version of gramps has no
effect since I get the same behavior.

Anyone knows what I can do to get the things going again?

Thanks in advance.

Alain

Re: Help!

Hi Alain,

> I've just updated Gramps today from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. It was my first
> session with the latest version.
>
> I was editing events, changing "religious baptism" to "baptism" (not
> sure of the English terms here) to a few records, so I was navigating
> form event view (in order to ckeck which record had the attribute
> "religious baptism" to person view (where I can edit the record and make
> change to the type of event).
>
> But, I got an error on the last record that I wanted to change and got a
> message telling me to quit Gramps as soon as possible.
>
> Now when I launch Gramps I get every time an error message telling me
> that my data are safe and inviting me to report a bug and change (to no
> avail) the last view in gramps.ini, but no matter what I do, the
> application refuses to launch, telling me I must re-start Gramps in a
> kind of infinite loop.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm stuck at this time and can't access my data. (note that
> since it was not a major release I didn't make a backup, so I'm quite
> nervous about my data).
Can you attach the bad database to a bug report? With database I mean
the folder, or folders that sit inside the grampsdb folder on your
machine, the location of which you can find in preferences. If you can
do that, a developer can copy your database to his own PC and see what's
going on.

You may have to switch on the display of hidden files and folders to
find it, and are advised to upload contents zipped or whatever works on
your Mac. I hope they're not too big, but you may share them private on
Dropbox otherwise.

thanks,

Re: Help!

rider
This sounds similar to the problem I have recently had on 4.2.1.
Initially I got the error message and did what it suggested in the
gramps.ini file.  That seemed to work for several hours, then I could
not navigate to person view.  When I selected the person view icon, I
got family view instead, which is where I had been previously.  After
trying to navigate from other views back to person view (which continued
to show family view), gramps crashed (application stopped responding)
and all attempts to restart failed to open gramps and only gave an error
msg to restart like your loop.  The only way I found to fix the problem
was to uninstall gramps, rename the .gramps folder, reinstall gramps and
import backup.

I'm hoping those that know more than my rough fix can provide more
assistance.  Like you, I'm really nervous about my data and have not
been doing much work in gramps lately as a result.  I make a backup
after every session, but I'm afraid the error may eventually corrupt my
data, make it's way into a backup, and fail to manifest itself until
some future date after I've added new information I'd hate to loose.

Since I had not seen any more comments about this, I was thinking my
problem may have been the result of a ubuntu update or a gramps plugin
update because I had been using 4.2.1 heavily since shortly after
release with no problems until the end of December.  I have updated to
4.2.2 and hoped that was the end of it, so I'm going to wait to see how
this works out.

Lynda

GRAMPS: 4.2.2
Python: 3.4.3
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28)
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
OS: Linux

> I've just updated Gramps today from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. It was my first
> session with the latest version.
>
> I was editing events, changing "religious baptism" to "baptism" (not
> sure of the English terms here) to a few records, so I was navigating
> form event view (in order to ckeck which record had the attribute
> "religious baptism" to person view (where I can edit the record and make
> change to the type of event).
>
> But, I got an error on the last record that I wanted to change and got a
> message telling me to quit Gramps as soon as possible.
>
> Now when I launch Gramps I get every time an error message telling me
> that my data are safe and inviting me to report a bug and change (to no
> avail) the last view in gramps.ini, but no matter what I do, the
> application refuses to launch, telling me I must re-start Gramps in a
> kind of infinite loop.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm stuck at this time and can't access my data. (note that
> since it was not a major release I didn't make a backup, so I'm quite
> nervous about my data).
>
> Notice also that reverting to the previous version of gramps has no
> effect since I get the same behavior.

Re: Help!

On 01/14/2016 11:03 AM, Lynda wrote:
[snip]
I'm hoping those that know more than my rough fix can provide more
assistance.  Like you, I'm really nervous about my data and have not
been doing much work in gramps lately as a result.  I make a backup
after every session, but I'm afraid the error may eventually corrupt my
data, make it's way into a backup, and fail to manifest itself until
some future date after I've added new information I'd hate to loose.

What do you mean by eventually?  If your data isn't corrupted yet, and the bug is worked around, then how can that data get corrupted in the future?

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Help!

Alain Pastor
Hi Lynda,

I'm not sure our issues are related.

Anyway, I have investigated further with the help of Doug and Enno and
it appears that there's a problem with an add-on, namely the
'Participants' add-on. I figure out that I could bypass the bug by
triggering a command via the Terminal app on my Mac running OS X Yosemite.

It happens that this German add-on misses a French translation and
Gramps was trying at launch time to revert to American English and
failed at it.

I have now two options to fix my issue temporarily until the launch
process in Gramps is fixed.

1. Remove the faulty add-on from the 'plugins' folder;
2. Duplicate the 'de' folder in the 'locale' folder of the add-on and
rename the duplicate to 'fr'.

Happily, I did not have to re-install Gramps and import an old backup,
losing at the same time months of work. Needless to say that I have made
a backup as soon as I got Gramps running again.

Cheers,

Alain

Le 14/01/2016 18:03, Lynda a écrit :

> [...]
>> form event view (in order to ckeck which record had the attribute
>> "religious baptism" to person view (where I can edit the record and make
>> change to the type of event).
>>
>> But, I got an error on the last record that I wanted to change and got a
>> message telling me to quit Gramps as soon as possible.
>>
>> Now when I launch Gramps I get every time an error message telling me
>> that my data are safe and inviting me to report a bug and change (to no
>> avail) the last view in gramps.ini, but no matter what I do, the
>> application refuses to launch, telling me I must re-start Gramps in a
>> kind of infinite loop.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I'm stuck at this time and can't access my data. (note that
>> since it was not a major release I didn't make a backup, so I'm quite
>> nervous about my data).
>>
>> Notice also that reverting to the previous version of gramps has no

I don't understand enough about what is causing this behavior to have a clear perspective on what the extent of any damage might be, and there's always Murphy's law.

Do you know what is causing gramps to crash & loop?  Can you guarantee that will have no ill effects on the data?

Lynda