Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Josip
Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!

For 64bit Windows
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-503-g4ffc5e3_win64.exe
For 32bit Windows
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-503-g4ffc5e3_win32.exe

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

manzi.sam
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

13.11.2016. u 0:15, Sam Manzi je napisao/la:
> Hi Josip,
>
> Thank you for creating these updated AIO's installers.
>
> For our Windows users this resolves many of the issues with dropdowns and
> drag drop,so please test and report back your results.

28 downloads from SF and 66 from GitHub yet no test results :-(

> Confirming that the installers installed successfully for me in Windows 7
> 32bit and 64bit VirtualMachines
>
> Noticed that there is no longer any GrampsAIO64 5.0.0-debug  menu entry, is
> there an intention to add it back, or is it really needed?

Maybe but as you said is it really needed!?
Would like more one launcher in which different gramps options can be
set in gui environment and then starting gramps from there

> The file installation size shows the install has dropped from 420MB to
> 190MB :)  What have you done differently to get it this small? Looking at
> the files I see you've changed the file layout and way you create the AIO
> which probably means (untested) that instructions for AIO repackaging[1]
> need to be updated?

Number of installed files and size is one complain i hear the most.
This version is made with cx_Freeze which pick up necessary dependency
by himself and pack python's one together with python standard libs in
zip file.

Did not use bin folder this time but put everything in the root one.
That avoids telling user to start console in AIO\bin folder instead of
starting it from where AIO is installed.
I also put gramps folder in root one to be more visible to users
(potential developers) then burying him deep in lib/python3.5/site-packages

About further reducing size:

"root": 42MB, 80 *.dll
I don't know how to reduce that.
All binaries are upx-ed to reduce their size
Every library is build as shared one and i will not play with static
linking just to reduce their numbers.

"gramps": 28MB, 3227 files, 134 map
This is due python nature of gramps where each file get byte compiled in
two version: normal and optimize one.
One way will be to make frozen package of it but i don't know if gramps
will work as that (it use to long time before) or do we want that
(hiding code for users)

"dictionary": 40MB, 17 languages
This one can be reduced by making install script which will allow user
to select one they want|needed.

"translations": 30MB
Same as above, offer user to install just ones they want.

"icons": 25MB
That should be hand picked instead of including them all if somebody
will bother with that. Remove them all and run Gramps to see if some is
missing not displayed properly.

This is made by nsis script outside of working folder but will not be
hard to change paths in them and put him inside so that aio can be
rebuild-able. Thanks for that!

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Hello Josip,

> Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!
I will give it a try, but I don't have much experience with drop down
menu errors in the Windows version, so I don't really know what to test
for that, except for the things that I know, like focus problems when
Gramps notifies me of add-ons updates. I haven't tested that part yet.

What I did see on my first try yesterday is:

1. Setup is much faster, so the strategy that you described in another
email works,

2. Some odd things seemed to happen during conversion from a 3.4
database, and I don't remember all things that happened exactly, so I
may have to try again on my desktop later this week. What I think I saw
is that Gramps first asked for an upgrade to a newer BSDDB version, and
then to the new database version, and some time during the upgrade,
which took a very long time, the whole UI disappeared, possibly because
I tried to close Gramps because that conversion took so long. Anyway,
although the UI had disappeared, I couldn't move the DB folder, which I
had put on Dropbox earlier, and some long minutes later, I saw a dialog
appear out of nothing, which is probably the schema upgrade one.

I don't know if the 2nd issue sounds familiar to anyone, but I remember
complaints of 4.x users who corrupted their database when they started
Gramps at a time that they were sure that no other instance was visible,
so it may be an old problem, possibly GTK related.

If you have a specific testing scenario, or one exists in a bug report,
please let me know.

thank you,

13.11.2016. u 15:29, Enno Borgsteede je napisao/la:
> Hello Josip,
>
>> Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!
> I will give it a try, but I don't have much experience with drop down
> menu errors in the Windows version, so I don't really know what to test
> for that, except for the things that I know, like focus problems when
> Gramps notifies me of add-ons updates. I haven't tested that part yet.

Drop-down menu errors as:
Errors is shown when just one item is available in subsection like
custom event in our examples database

> What I did see on my first try yesterday is:
>
> 1. Setup is much faster, so the strategy that you described in another
> email works,
>
> 2. Some odd things seemed to happen during conversion from a 3.4
> database, and I don't remember all things that happened exactly, so I
> may have to try again on my desktop later this week. What I think I saw
> is that Gramps first asked for an upgrade to a newer BSDDB version, and
> then to the new database version, and some time during the upgrade,
> which took a very long time, the whole UI disappeared, possibly because
> I tried to close Gramps because that conversion took so long. Anyway,
> although the UI had disappeared, I couldn't move the DB folder, which I
> had put on Dropbox earlier, and some long minutes later, I saw a dialog
> appear out of nothing, which is probably the schema upgrade one.

I am trying to keep bsddb at same version in 4.x and 5.x branch (did not
upgrade him in long time) just to avoid such things. In 3.x series they
are other versions.

> I don't know if the 2nd issue sounds familiar to anyone, but I remember
> complaints of 4.x users who corrupted their database when they started
> Gramps at a time that they were sure that no other instance was visible,
> so it may be an old problem, possibly GTK related.

To prevent running multiple instances of Gramps i previously created
mutex in launchers. Now when launchers are based on cxfreeze they are
gone, will see how to re-implement him again.

> If you have a specific testing scenario, or one exists in a bug report,
> please let me know.
>
> thank you,
>
> Enno

Thank you!

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Michel Vuijlsteke
Installed it some time ago on one computer and just now on a second.

No issues yet.

Is there a list of things to be on the lookout for?

On 13 November 2016 at 11:28, Josip <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

This is due python nature of gramps where each file get byte compiled in
two version: normal and optimize one.
One way will be to make frozen package of it but i don't know if gramps
will work as that (it use to long time before) or do we want that
(hiding code for users)

"dictionary": 40MB, 17 languages
This one can be reduced by making install script which will allow user
to select one they want|needed.

"translations": 30MB
Same as above, offer user to install just ones they want.

"icons": 25MB
That should be hand picked instead of including them all if somebody
will bother with that. Remove them all and run Gramps to see if some is
missing not displayed properly.

This is made by nsis script outside of working folder but will not be
hard to change paths in them and put him inside so that aio can be

Helge.Herz-2
Hi Josip,
thank you for the good work done.
The installer runs well for me (Win10Pro 64bit German on AMD)

There is one warning after the start of Gramps:
D:\GRAMPS\gramps50\gramps\gramps50\plugins\GraphView\graphview.py:76:
PyGIWarning: GooCanvas was imported without specifying a version first.
Use gi.require_version('GooCanvas', '2.0') before import to ensure that
the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import GooCanvas

It seems that this version is not able to handle tif files for thumbnails:
2016-11-13 22:26:21.624: WARNING: thumbnails.py: line 220: Error scaling
image down: gdk-pixbuf-error-quark: Failed to load image 'xyz.tif':
Failed to open TIFF image (0)

Thumbnail generator comes before the tif error messages with this (may
be because I did select other windows during its work):
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.

After conversion from bsddb to DB-API the tree view for places is
different between bsddb and DB-API - in the last it's useless for me.

The import of a xml backup file (as bsddb and later conversion) from 4.x
runs mostly well (I didn't measure the time):
- (gramps.exe:11256): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to fetch network locations:
Error opening directory
'C:\Programme\GrampsAIO64-5.0.0\network:': No such file or directory
- There is still the non-Win-compatibility: "\" in file names will be
changed into "/".

Sorry, I'm not sure to have more time for tests within the next 2 weeks.
-Helge
Am 12.11.2016 um 20:14 schrieb Josip:
> Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!
>
> For 64bit Windows
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-503-g4ffc5e3_win64.exe
> For 32bit Windows
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-503-g4ffc5e3_win32.exe

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Oldest1

In one try, Win 32 version under Win 10 64-bit version, with Gramps AIO32-4.2.1 also installed for 'myself' only - the program did not launch from the installer and failed a couple more times when I tried to start it from the desktop icon.

Eventually it seemed to at least start, though I did not run any tests beyond seeing it start.

After uninstalling the program and trying again, same issue.

The event error log shows several entries:

Faulting application name: grampsw.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58274c86
Faulting module name: libpython3.5m.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5827418c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000e66e1
Faulting process id: 0x1b18
Faulting application start time: 0x01d23dea3fb232c6
Faulting application path: C:\Users\arnold\AppData\Local\GrampsAIO32-5.0.0\grampsw.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\arnold\AppData\Local\GrampsAIO32-5.0.0\libpython3.5m.dll
Report Id: 885ca91a-2bea-4bc5-ad0c-25559b8893ce
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The other entries look very similar, though I did not spend any time to make sure they were identical.

HTH some.

I will run a few more tests tomorrow and try different install scenarios, if I get the chance and time.

Arnold

On 11/12/2016 11:14 AM, Josip wrote:
Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!

For 64bit Windows
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-503-g4ffc5e3_win64.exe
For 32bit Windows
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-503-g4ffc5e3_win32.exe

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Josip
Please start cmd in install folder (C:\Users\arnold\AppData\Local\GrampsAIO32-5.0.0)
 and there type:
gramps
Post if anything get printed there.

13.11.2016. u 23:19, Helge Herz je napisao/la:

> It seems that this version is not able to handle tif files for thumbnails:
> 2016-11-13 22:26:21.624: WARNING: thumbnails.py: line 220: Error scaling
> image down: gdk-pixbuf-error-quark: Failed to load image 'xyz.tif':
> Failed to open TIFF image (0)
>
> Thumbnail generator comes before the tif error messages with this (may
> be because I did select other windows during its work):
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
> discouraged.

Good catch!
Gdkpixbuf tif loader is indeed broken.
Must see why it fails with libtiff or use gdiplus one.

I also notice that there is no thumbnail generated for any other file
added to media view but thumbnail generator plugin work.
This must be something in gramps code as with same libraries gramps42
branch does not shown such problem

> The import of a xml backup file (as bsddb and later conversion) from 4.x
> runs mostly well (I didn't measure the time):
> - (gramps.exe:11256): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to fetch network locations:
> Error opening directory
> 'C:\Programme\GrampsAIO64-5.0.0\network:': No such file or directory

This come from gtk filechooser dialog, will fix it.

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Hello Josip,

> Drop-down menu errors as:
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8999
> Errors is shown when just one item is available in subsection like custom event in our examples database
I haven't tried that yet, sorry.
> To prevent running multiple instances of Gramps i previously created
> mutex in launchers. Now when launchers are based on cxfreeze they
> aregone, will see how to re-implement him again.
In Linux, I sometimes use two instances to look at different trees, and
some users may like to do that in Windows too. I have a few concerns
with this version though:

1. When the program starts, Windows shows a busy cursor for a few
seconds, which then returns to the normal arrow. On my laptop, with an
i3 processor, and on Windows 10 running in VirtualBox in Linux, on an
i7, it then takes more than 10 seconds for Gramps to show up, and while
the screen is empty, it is very tempting to think that something went
wrong, and click again. And at one time that I did that, I saw that both
Gramps instances had a tree manager window showing my test database
without a lock next to it, which is logical, because neither instance
had opened the database yet.
Now, after I opened the database in the 1st instance, it turned out that
the tree manager in the 2nd instance did still not show the tree that
I'd just opened with a lock. I can understand that, because the file
database folder is probably not scanned again when something changes in
the file system, like the creation of the lock by the 1st instance.
The problem is, that when I tried to open the database in the 2nd
instance, it worked without checking for a lock, which I am sure was
there, because I'd opened it already in the 1st instance. I was then
able to delete the database in one instance, while it was still open in
the other. This suggests that the code that loads the database is very
unsafe.

2. In 5.0, the database upgrade from python 2 to 3, and the schema
upgrade from 16 to 18, are very slow, even when I run Gramps on my i7
desktop from a real Windows 10 installation, i.e. not the one running in
VirtualBox. And because of that slowness, it is quite easy to loose
one's patience when it's late, and close Gramps to try the conversion at
a later time, at least it is when I am testing. And when I do that, I
expect that Windows asks me whether I want to close a hanging program,
and warns that I may loose data. That's what happens when I close Gramps
3.4.9 during a long calculation in Linux too, and I sometimes do that
when I need to shut down my PC, and don't see any damage to the
database. That's not during upgrades of course.
Anyway, when I try to close the main window by clicking the X at the
upper right corner, the window disappears without warning. That suggests
a silent crash, but that's not what it is. When I check the task
manager, I can see that grampsw.exe is still running, and when I do this
during the python 2 to 3 upgrade, and wait long enough, the dialog
asking for permission for the schema upgrade will appear out of nothing.
An innocent user may start Gramps again however, and thereby corrupt the
database.
This works in 4.2 too, but on that, one is less likely to do such a
thing, because both upgrade steps are much faster than in 5.0. That
suggest that the DB-API is actually slowing down the upgrade very much.

3. My overall feeling is that the Windows version is much slower than
the Linux one. Can that be true?

My personal opinion is that both #1 and #2 need repair, and I assume
that both problems are not caused by your way of building the new
version, but by Windows itself. The older larger setup had the same
problem here, but if my feeling about the Windows version being a much
slower starter is right, Windows users will be more likely to corrupt
their trees than Linux users will.

Does this sound familiar to other devs?

thank you,

16.11.2016. u 23:40, Enno Borgsteede je napisao/la:

> [...]
> asking for permission for the schema upgrade will appear out of nothing.
> An innocent user may start Gramps again however, and thereby corrupt the
> database.
> This works in 4.2 too, but on that, one is less likely to do such a
> thing, because both upgrade steps are much faster than in 5.0. That
> suggest that the DB-API is actually slowing down the upgrade very much.
>
> 3. My overall feeling is that the Windows version is much slower than
> the Linux one. Can that be true?
>
> My personal opinion is that both #1 and #2 need repair, and I assume
> that both problems are not caused by your way of building the new
> version, but by Windows itself. The older larger setup had the same
> problem here, but if my feeling about the Windows version being a much
> slower starter is right, Windows users will be more likely to corrupt

I also get filling that python and gramps are slower on windows then on
linux.

This new build upx (compress of some sort) binaries and make zip archive
of needed python's modules. Because of that start will be slower (time
spent for decompression) then before unless if it is start from slow
external hard-drive or usb-stick in which case it will be faster (in
memory decompression beats seek, read time of external drive)

Since using mutex never had request for "use two instances to look at
different trees". Either our user not have need for that or they use
their own startup code, script etc. instead of provided launchers.

As for visual clue of gramps starting process i agree with you. Is hard
to know if is gramps fail to start or is just slow in doing that.
I ask before if someone is willing to code some type of splash screen
but nobody volunteered for that ;-)

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

enno
Hello Josip,

> As for visual clue of gramps starting process i agree with you. Is > hard to know if is gramps fail to start or is just slow in doing > that. I ask before if someone is willing to code some type of splash > screen but nobody volunteered for that ;-)

Sad. I must admit that I have no idea how the startup actually works. I mean, when you start Gramps 5 on Windows, what is happening then exactly? I see a grampsw.exe in the task manager, but what is that exactly? Is it a renamed Python interpreter, or some sort of wrapper program?

If it's a wrapper program, it would indeed be nice when it could have some sort of screen that tells that the interpreter and all of its modules, i.e. dll's and Python sources, are loading. I see something like that in the application that I'm working on at the office, and it's also visible in LibreOffice on my PC.

In the case where I can close the Gramps main window while a conversion is running, which is what I saw on Windows with 4.2 and 5.0a, the splash screen/shell, or wrapper, whatever we call that, could still show the user that Gramps is running. Now, when I click Gramps in the Windows 10 taskbar, clicking on the miniature does nothing, meaning that it does not active Gramps as expected, and it doesn't refresh the main window either.

If it's not a wrapper program, I still have no idea whether our Python code can show a splash screen before it imports all libraries and is able to show the main window, nor whether the interpreter itself starts fast enough for this to be actually helpful.

I would hope that others know more about this than I, and can think of a solution to avoid problems on Windows, where we have the most competition from other programs, I think.

regards,

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

By "splash screen", you just mean to pop up an image into a Gtk dialog?
I suppose you mean something more complex with a timeout (arguments & co)
like progress meter, right?

Because we are already using a pop-up on startup!
See gramps/gui/grampsgui.py:125

So, it seems to be only a request on launcher for Windows?

I have no idea if this could help but "mypaint" has a debug item
on menu (GUI) and some scripts for windows port and tests (/tests).

https://github.com/mypaint/mypaint

J.

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!
 À: [hidden email]
 Date: Dimanche 20 novembre 2016, 13h50

     Hello Josip,

 -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

20.11.2016. u 15:30, jerome je napisao/la:
> By "splash screen", you just mean to pop up an image into a Gtk dialog?

Something like that but not in Gtk because that will be slow, but
instead in win32 api

> I suppose you mean something more complex with a timeout (arguments & co)
> like progress meter, right?

Not anything fancy or complex, there is no need for progress meter.
No timeout as we don't know how long it will take gramps to start, more
like:
   -show some image
   -wait for gramps window to appear
   -fade out image

> Because we are already using a pop-up on startup!
> See gramps/gui/grampsgui.py:125

Yeah but like i say that is slow.

> So, it seems to be only a request on launcher for Windows?

It will be nice to have it in other oses too.

20.11.2016. u 13:50, Enno Borgsteede je napisao/la:

> Hello Josip,
>
>> As for visual clue of gramps starting process i agree with you. Is  >
>> hard to know if is gramps fail to start or is just slow in doing >
> that. I ask before if someone is willing to code some type of splash >
> screen but nobody volunteered for that ;-)
>
> Sad. I must admit that I have no idea how the startup actually works. I
> mean, when you start Gramps 5 on Windows, what is happening then
> exactly? I see a grampsw.exe in the task manager, but what is that
> exactly? Is it a renamed Python interpreter, or some sort of wrapper
> program?
>
> If it's a wrapper program, it would indeed be nice when it could have
> some sort of screen that tells that the interpreter and all of its
> modules, i.e. dll's and Python sources, are loading. I see something
> like that in the application that I'm working on at the office, and it's
> also visible in LibreOffice on my PC.
>
> In the case where I can close the Gramps main window while a conversion
> is running, which is what I saw on Windows with 4.2 and 5.0a, the splash
> screen/shell, or wrapper, whatever we call that, could still show the
> user that Gramps is running. Now, when I click Gramps in the Windows 10
> taskbar, clicking on the miniature does nothing, meaning that it does
> not active Gramps as expected, and it doesn't refresh the main window
> either.
>
> If it's not a wrapper program, I still have no idea whether our Python
> code can show a splash screen before it imports all libraries and is
> able to show the main window, nor whether the interpreter itself starts
> fast enough for this to be actually helpful.
>
> I would hope that others know more about this than I, and can think of a
> solution to avoid problems on Windows, where we have the most
> competition from other programs, I think.

It is just simple application with embedded python interpreter.
https://docs.python.org/3/extending/embedding.html

In 4.2.x source code of launchers is in AIOxx\src\gramps.c
in new 5-alpha launchers is cxfreeze one.

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Hans Ulrich Frink-2

For example look at qgis which is also based on python. On start they show a nice picture and below they show the steps in startnng process like Authentication, starting gui, starting python etc.
So you see qgis is running ok
Cheers
Uli

20.11.2016. u 17:29, Hans Ulrich Frink je napisao/la:
> For example look at qgis which is also based on python. On start they show
> a nice picture and below they show the steps in startnng process like
> Authentication, starting gui, starting python etc.
> So you see qgis is running ok

Yes, something like that.

--
Josip

Re: [Gramps-users] Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Josip
12.11.2016. u 20:14, Josip je napisao/la:
> Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!

Thank you all for participating in test!

   Based on yours comments i uploaded new 32-bit version
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a_win32.exe
with following enhacments/bug-fixes:
   Install program now support choosing of translations and dictionaries
to be installed (English one is always installed by default).
Don't forget to select one or more of this if you want to run Gramps in
other language then English.
   Suppress some annoying deprecation warnings in console
   Only allow one instance of Gramps to be running
   Fix tiff image loading
   Fix crash when running in gui mode (grampsw.exe)
   Remove search for "network" folder

21.11.2016. u 17:46, Josip je napisao/la:

> 12.11.2016. u 20:14, Josip je napisao/la:
>> Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!
>>

> Thank you all for participating in test!
>
>    Based on yours comments i uploaded new 32-bit version
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a_win32.exe
> with following enhacments/bug-fixes:
>    Install program now support choosing of translations and dictionaries
> to be installed (English one is always installed by default).
> Don't forget to select one or more of this if you want to run Gramps in
> other language then English.
>    Suppress some annoying deprecation warnings in console
>    Only allow one instance of Gramps to be running
>    Fix tiff image loading
>    Fix crash when running in gui mode (grampsw.exe)
>    Remove search for "network" folder

64-bit version
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a_win64.exe

In future i hope it will be base for building Gramps 4.2.5 or final
5.0.0 when released.

--
Josip