Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Josip
Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!

For 64bit Windows
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-503-g4ffc5e3_win64.exe
For 32bit Windows
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-503-g4ffc5e3_win32.exe

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Keith Jacobs
I downloaded and installed the 64bit version into a Windows 10 system
that I use for backup and testing, my main Gramps installation is on
another system running Linux Mint mate v17.3. I've not yet looked at
version 5 on the latter system.

The first attempt at the install failed, it just disappeared.

The second attempt completed, without rebooting, successfully and no errors.

I then opened one of my databases of 1332 individuals a process that
took too long. I later tried a test database, with no individuals it too
took a very long time to open. I then "Converted" the test database,
from BSDDB 6.0.30 to DB-API 18.0.0 format and found it opened much
quicker. I then converted the other database, of 1332 individuals and
found it too opened much quicker.

As these are backup databases I have not performed any data entry so
have just been looking at visual and functionality issues and have found
the following problems.

In Relationship manager I opened an editing screen which extended beyond
the Gramps Toolbar, at the foot of the screen and therefore I could not
see the Cancel or OK buttons and with being unable to adjust or more
this screen I could not close it. It even remained open following the
closure and restarting of Gramps or opening another database. This
problem was first seen in the unconverted database but persisted in the
converted database with the same window remaining open.

This same problem occurred in the Geography manager.

Regards
Keith Jacobs

13.11.2016. u 17:36, Keith Jacobs je napisao/la:

> I downloaded and installed the 64bit version into a Windows 10 system
> that I use for backup and testing, my main Gramps installation is on
> another system running Linux Mint mate v17.3. I've not yet looked at
> version 5 on the latter system.
>
> The first attempt at the install failed, it just disappeared.
>
> The second attempt completed, without rebooting, successfully and no
> errors.
>
> I then opened one of my databases of 1332 individuals a process that
> took too long. I later tried a test database, with no individuals it too
> took a very long time to open. I then "Converted" the test database,
> from BSDDB 6.0.30 to DB-API 18.0.0 format and found it opened much
> quicker. I then converted the other database, of 1332 individuals and
> found it too opened much quicker.
>
> As these are backup databases I have not performed any data entry so
> have just been looking at visual and functionality issues and have found
> the following problems.
>
> In Relationship manager I opened an editing screen which extended beyond
> the Gramps Toolbar, at the foot of the screen and therefore I could not
> see the Cancel or OK buttons and with being unable to adjust or more
> this screen I could not close it. It even remained open following the
> closure and restarting of Gramps or opening another database. This
> problem was first seen in the unconverted database but persisted in the
> converted database with the same window remaining open.
>
> This same problem occurred in the Geography manager.
>
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs

Thank you for your report!

Don't know why install failed at first.
Only thing i can do is to add mutex to install script so only one
instance of them can be run.

I am afraid that i don't understand you problem with editing screen.
Can you explain it better or show screenshot of that?

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

ingridvg70
I installed Gramps5 without any problems on Windows 10, and haven't run into any problems as yet.

12.11.2016. u 20:14, Josip je napisao/la:
> Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!

Thank you all for participating in test!

   Based on yours comments i uploaded new 32-bit version
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a_win32.exe
with following enhacments/bug-fixes:
   Install program now support choosing of translations and dictionaries
to be installed (English one is always installed by default).
Don't forget to select one or more of this if you want to run Gramps in
other language then English.
   Suppress some annoying deprecation warnings in console
   Only allow one instance of Gramps to be running
   Fix tiff image loading
   Fix crash when running in gui mode (grampsw.exe)
   Remove search for "network" folder

21.11.2016. u 19:54, Ingrid je napisao/la:
> A bug in the db-version: the place tree doesn't work well: some places are
> nested under their enclosed by, others are not.

Do you mean in "DB-API" version of family tree?

When for example our own example "data.gramps" is opened as "BSDDB" then
places hierarchy looks fine but when converted as "DB-API" then some
places are out of hierarchy (even when "enclosed by" gramplet say it is
enclosed by existing places).

Same thing when imported as "DB-API".

In both cases i get warning in console:
Warning: DbState: Exception occurred in callback function.
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "gramps\gen\utils\callback.py", line 406, in emit
     fn(*args)
   File "gramps\gui\views\listview.py", line 695, in change_db
     self.build_tree()
   File "gramps\gui\views\listview.py", line 325, in build_tree
     sort_map=self.column_order())
   File "\gramps\gui\views\treemodels\placemodel.py", line 261, in __init__
     group_can_have_handle=True)
   File "gramps\gui\views\treemodels\treebasemodel.py", line 304, in
__init__
     self._set_base_data()
   File "gramps\gui\views\treemodels\placemodel.py", line 276, in
_set_base_data
     self.gen_cursor = self.db.get_place_tree_cursor
AttributeError: 'DummyDb' object has no attribute 'get_place_tree_cursor'

Maybe that caused this!
Can you report it on bug-tracker please?

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Nick Hall
On 21/11/16 21:49, Josip wrote:
21.11.2016. u 19:54, Ingrid je napisao/la:
> A bug in the db-version: the place tree doesn't work well: some places are
> nested under their enclosed by, others are not.
Do you mean in "DB-API" version of family tree?

If so, this is a known problem which is on the roadmap for 5.0-alpha2:

9508: DBAPI: Hierarchy displayed incorrectly in place tree view

Instead of providing a tree cursor, DBAPI orders the places by numeric place type and then by main name.  This will obviously fail.

21.11.2016. u 17:46, Josip je napisao/la:

> 12.11.2016. u 20:14, Josip je napisao/la:
>> Please help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!
>>

> Thank you all for participating in test!
>
>    Based on yours comments i uploaded new 32-bit version
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a_win32.exe
> with following enhacments/bug-fixes:
>    Install program now support choosing of translations and dictionaries
> to be installed (English one is always installed by default).
> Don't forget to select one or more of this if you want to run Gramps in
> other language then English.
>    Suppress some annoying deprecation warnings in console
>    Only allow one instance of Gramps to be running
>    Fix tiff image loading
>    Fix crash when running in gui mode (grampsw.exe)
>    Remove search for "network" folder

64-bit version
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a_win64.exe

In future i hope it will be base for building Gramps 4.2.5 or final
5.0.0 when released.

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Dave Scheipers
hi Josip

Just downloaded and installed this latest version (5.0, win64) to test out for you.

Quick questions:

Can I use my existing data files (4.2) and still have them stay usable by the older program?

The first thing I noticed was a new database type option. What's the difference and which should be used?

Dave

22.11.2016. u 1:13, Dave Scheipers je napisao/la:

> Just downloaded and installed this latest version (5.0, win64) to test out
> for you.
>
> Quick questions:
>
> Can I use my existing data files (4.2) and still have them stay usable by
> the older program?
>
> The first thing I noticed was a new database type option. What's the
> difference and which should be used?

This is a development version so even if format is not changed do not
use your real data in it but instead use copy of it.
Export you data as xml in 4.2 and import it in new family tree in 5.0

This new type option uses sqlite3 as database backend instead of
berkeley db. In future it will be default one.

--
Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Can someone reproduce "9800: Age On Date Gramplet fails"[1] with this AIO bundle for next major branch?

Reported for gramps 4.2.4-3, I only suppose there is a gtk issue (GTK version : 3.22.1)
 because I cannot reproduce it. So, either can someone reproduce it on 4.2.4 or 5.x
under Windows OS, or there is something with the user data.

[1] https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=9800

Thanks!
J.

En date de : Lun 21.11.16, Josip <[hidden email]> a écrit :

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!
 À: "Gramps Development List" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: [hidden email]
 Date: Lundi 21 novembre 2016, 23h53

 20:14, Josip je napisao/la:
 >> Please
 help testing alpha version of Gramps for Windows!

 > Thank you all for participating in
 test!

 >    Based
 on yours comments i uploaded new 32-bit version
 > https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/download/v5.0.0-alpha1/GrampsAIO-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a_win32.exe
 > with following enhacments/bug-fixes:
 >    Install program now support choosing
 of translations and dictionaries
 > to be
 installed (English one is always installed by default).
 > Don't forget to select one or more of
 this if you want to run Gramps in
 > other
 language then English.
 >    Suppress
 some annoying deprecation warnings in console
 >    Only allow one instance of Gramps to
 be running
 >    Fix tiff image
 >    Fix crash when running in
 gui mode (grampsw.exe)
 >    Remove
 search for "network" folder

23.11.2016. u 1:34, Dave Scheipers je napisao/la:
> The other quick change noticed was the way the converted database handled
> the Place Tree view. No longer was the top level just the records not
> nested below a higher record, the country record. Each records seems to
> retain it nested structure, just not displayed correctly.

0009508: DBAPI: Hierarchy displayed incorrectly in place tree view

Josip

Re: Help testing Gramps5 for Windows!

Andrea Ricci

I'm testing Gramps 5.0 for windows, so when I have imported a GEDCOM 5.1
file from Legacy 8.0, all the references to dates as "Computed Date",
registered in my GEDCOM file as i.e. "Cal 1821" for "Calculated 1821",
was imported as comment text, not as a regular date.
Instead, "after" and "before" types of date was correctly imported.

--
Andrea Ricci