Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

Peter Merchant
This gramplet gives me a number of incomplete events relating to living relatives. I can't figure out a way to copy the list and copy it into an email to send to some of these relatives to get some answers. Select the lot and CTRL-C brings up the clipboard. Is this possible?   I am on Kubuntu 18.04 with Gramps 5.0.0

Peter M.

Re: Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

GRAMPS - User mailing list
In Windows, I must right-click the mouse on a part of the selected text (a part that is not hot-linked!) and choose 'Copy' from the pop-up menu. Using Ctrl-C also invokes the Gramps clipboard (instead of copying the selection to the buffer) in this OS.

-Brian

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 14:27, Peter Merchant
This gramplet gives me a number of incomplete events relating to living relatives. I can't figure out a way to copy the list and copy it into an email to send to some of these relatives to get some answers. Select the lot and CTRL-C brings up the clipboard. Is this possible?   I am on Kubuntu 18.04 with Gramps 5.0.0

Peter M.

Re: Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

StoltHD
If you add the Gramplet to the dashboard it will give you normal copy/paste, but you would need to set the person of Interest as "Home Person" to get the information for that person to the Gramplet...

Maybe the "Copy to Gramps Clipboard" key combination should have been changed in Gramps, from ctrl+c to i.e. alt+ctrl+c or at least something that's not used as a system command...
Or maybe the Gramplet is only ment for the dashboard???

tir. 16. apr. 2019 kl. 22:53 skrev Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>:
In Windows, I must right-click the mouse on a part of the selected text (a part that is not hot-linked!) and choose 'Copy' from the pop-up menu. Using Ctrl-C also invokes the Gramps clipboard (instead of copying the selection to the buffer) in this OS.

-Brian

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 14:27, Peter Merchant
This gramplet gives me a number of incomplete events relating to living relatives. I can't figure out a way to copy the list and copy it into an email to send to some of these relatives to get some answers. Select the lot and CTRL-C brings up the clipboard. Is this possible?   I am on Kubuntu 18.04 with Gramps 5.0.0

Peter M.

Re: Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Peter,

Could you do some experiments?  The behavior of the high-lighted data seems to be very persnickety under Windows 10. I wonder if it is the same in Gramps' native OS, Linux? (And what do they do in a single button MacOS?)

Often, I cannot get a scrolling drag-selection from-end-to-beginning to extend all the way to the 1st few characters. the selection expansion just stalls with a few of the 1st characters left deselected. And starting the selection at the beginning has only a couple pixel-wide landing area.  (Resizing the Gramplet sidebar has greater priority in that fuzzy mouse-button-press recognition.)

It also seems to occasionally re-interpret a right-click as a left-click when the target text is hyperlinked. And will drop the selection if the click isn't QUITE precise on high-lighted text instead of high-light whitespace.

Because of this, I have cultivated the habit of right-clicking unlinked Text to Select-All & and a 2nd time to Copy. Then Paste in another application before paring down to what was actually desired.

Is it as picky in Linux?

-Brian

PS: I developed that approach through sheer repetition. I copy information from the Pedigree gramplet quite frequently when making first contact with a just discovered cousin.

Trimmed Pedigree data gives more confidence than Deep Connection gramplet because it disambiguates where the line had multiple spouse possibilities & can include dates. (Plus I can't get the Deep Connections gramplet to find common distant Ancestors when there are closer indirect connections. And Deep connection stops at the Siblings while the cousin may not even know the 2 WERE siblings.)

So I append the pedigees for myself & the cousin, crop each back to the common parents (1 extra generation when we descend from different spouses of a common ancestor.) And redact out the extraneous branches. Of course, it also has to be re-formatted to the mono-spaced Courier New font so the leading spaces don't collapse. Finally, I'll paste this heavily redacted data to a 'private' Note for reference in future conversations.

A bit of effort but this creates a solid groundwork for opening a discussion.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:26, Peter Merchant
Thanks Brian, that did it.
Peter
On 16/04/2019 21:52, [hidden email] wrote:
In Windows, I must right-click the mouse on a part of the selected text (a part that is not hot-linked!) and choose 'Copy' from the pop-up menu. Using Ctrl-C also invokes the Gramps clipboard (instead of copying the selection to the buffer) in this OS.

-Brian

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 14:27, Peter Merchant
This gramplet gives me a number of incomplete events relating to living relatives. I can't figure out a way to copy the list and copy it into an email to send to some of these relatives to get some answers. Select the lot and CTRL-C brings up the clipboard. Is this possible?   I am on Kubuntu 18.04 with Gramps 5.0.0

Peter M.

Re: Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

Jaran,

That's a very interesting observation about the difference in Ctrl-C for gramplets in the Dashboard category View versus the Sidebar & Bottombar docks of the other category Views. It would probably persist for the Gramplet when undocked/floating/detached/torn-off from the Dashboard. It's worth an experiment.

I've been abusing the gramplets for the last week before trying to expand that manual section. (Had you noticed that there is Help only on floating gramplets? Or that a gramplet tab is added is added to the View Configuration titlebar when a Gramplet is added to that category View?)

Can you confirm that Copy behavior? My experience was that Ctrl-C only invoked the floating Clipboard in Gramps, it never puts anything on it. I too wish Gramps did not override this Standard OS shortcut.

From what I've found, Gramplets originally only lived in the Dashboard. The addition of Sidebar & Bottombar docks for the other categories was a later enhancement to provide a Context control and reduce category swaps.  It explains why the interface is so different between the two.

-Brian

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:48, StoltHD
[...]

John Paton
Here is how it works for me - Linux Mint 19.2, gramps 5.0.0

Use  SHIFT key and Cursor Keys to highlight the required text in the
What's Next Gramplet. This avoids the problems of hyperlinks and
precision positioning of the cursor when using the mouse.

Then CTRL-C

Then in my text editor CTRL-V inserts the text copied from the What's
Next Gramplet.

I can now print the text document from the text editor and tick off the
various items as I deal with them.

An alternative method which works in Linux (generally - not just gramps)
is to highlight the required text as above (or using the mouse if no
hyperlinks), place the mouse pointer at the point where you want the
text to be copied, then simply press the MIDDLE mouse button and
whatever is currently highlighted is copied to the new location. Can be
another document, another place  in the same document, another text
entry field.

John

On 17/04/2019 15:31, [hidden email] wrote:
Peter,

Could you do some experiments?  The behavior of the high-lighted data seems to be very persnickety under Windows 10. I wonder if it is the same in Gramps' native OS, Linux? (And what do they do in a single button MacOS?)

Often, I cannot get a scrolling drag-selection from-end-to-beginning to extend all the way to the 1st few characters. the selection expansion just stalls with a few of the 1st characters left deselected. And starting the selection at the beginning has only a couple pixel-wide landing area.  (Resizing the Gramplet sidebar has greater priority in that fuzzy mouse-button-press recognition.)

OK, Test.

What John Paton suggested did not work for me. The CTRL-C brought up the clipboard.

I notice that I get all the data in the box by holding the left button down and running right up out of the box. Then move the mouse back in to the box and Right-click, copy and I can paste it wherever. This worked on the records gramplet also.

Your technique of Right-clicking anywhere in the box and select all, then right-click-copy works for me too. That is even simpler.

For testing purposes I opened a new document and pasted whatever I copied into that to prove the operation.

I tried it on the Birthdays Gramplet too and it worked exactly the same.

Regards,

Peter

Re: Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

John Paton
I have done some more tests.

I had the What's Next Gramplet in the bottom panel of the Dashboard view
and it works as I previously posted. However if I have the gramplet in
either the side bar or the bottom bar in People view then CTRL-C does
indeed open the clipboard.

The MIDDLE button (ie PRESS the Scroll Wheel) on the mouse does still
copy the selected text - it is possible that this is a Linux Mint
feature rather than a Ubuntu feature so it might not work with Kubuntu.
So for me the sequence is

Right-Click - Select All - Mouse pointer where the text is required -
Middle Mouse button.

John

Re: Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

StoltHD
Brian,

Just a fast replay on the selection part...

If you shall select all text in the gramplet window, you can place your cursor in the window and use ctrl+a, that will mark everything in the text winow...

I will test the other stuff tomorrow and come back with an answer...

Jaran

Re: Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Very nice!  Now that I've confirmed John's tip that Ctrl-C does indeed Copy to the OS clipboard (but ONLY in the Dashboard, not the Sidebar/Bottombar docks),

I can REALLY streamline copying gramplet data to eMails and external documents. It takes almost minimal mousing.
In Windows OS:
    left-click in the source Dashboard Gramplet
    Ctrl-A
    Ctrl-C
    Alt-Tab to the target application document
    Ctrl-V

Thanks to you & John!

On 17/04/2019 21:29, John Paton wrote:

> I have done some more tests.
>
> I had the What's Next Gramplet in the bottom panel of the Dashboard view and it works as I previously posted. However if I have the gramplet in either the side bar or the bottom bar in People view then CTRL-C does indeed open the clipboard.
>
> The MIDDLE button (ie PRESS the Scroll Wheel) on the mouse does still copy the selected text - it is possible that this is a Linux Mint feature rather than a Ubuntu feature so it might not work with Kubuntu. So for me the sequence is
>
> Right-Click - Select All - Mouse pointer where the text is required - Middle Mouse button.
>
> John

My tests were done with the gramplets in the side bar, and the main view being graphview.

Going to dashboard and opening a gramplet in the bottom left panel, and it works to copy the text as described before - Right Cl. Select all, right cl-copy. clicking the middle button/wheel doesn't seem to do anything, but it could be the way that I have my mouse configured.

Peter

Re: Help with 'What's Next' Gramplet

StoltHD
Hi again
I just testet it out...
If you add the gramplet to the dashboard and make it floating, the ctrl+a (select all) and the ctrl+c (Copy to System Clipboard) works in any View i tested
AS LONG AS THE GRAMPLET WINDOWS HAD FOCUS.

You will of course need to put our cursor in the gramplet text window to be able to select the text...
And you will need to set "Home Person" to the one Person that's the "Person of Interest"

If I have the Gramplet in the sidebar of the Chart View the ctrl+c do not work as OS copy, but copy the selected object to the Gramps Clipboard, same goes for the bottom bar...

ctrl+a to select all text works with the gramplet docked in either bar.

I haven't been able to test how the gramplet works in a database without a "Home Person" because I actually don't know how to remove the "Home Person" when it is set, only how to change it...

I don't know how to easily change the "Home Person" with a shortcut key either, so for me to change the "Home Person" in Chart View, was to open the "Person of Interest", right click in the "dead space" area and set it in the right click menu.

The text in the gramplet window changed immediately, so not a "big deal", but it would be nice  to have an easier way to set "Home Person" as long as some gramplets and and functions depend on that setting, maybe it exist, I don't know...

Conclusion:
- If the Gramplet are added to the dashboard and made floating, it the System Command ctrl+a and ctrl+c works as select all text and copy selected to system clipboard. --->>  AS LONG AS THE GRAMPLET WINDOWS HAD FOCUS.

- If Gramplet are docked to any of the bars, the ctrl+a for selecting all, works as it should, but the ctrl+c are connected to the Gramps Clipboard, not the System Clipboard, and you will need to right click and select copy in the right click menu...

jaran