Historical Place names

Richard Nairn
I recall seeing some conversation a little while ago regarding place
names that have changed and how to handle that appropriately.

I have an event - a marriage that happened in Edmonton, AB in 1902 (then
NWT) before Alberta was a province. Should I put in the place name as it
was at that time? The city is the same, but the "Enclosed by" changes.

 From what I remember there really isn't a way to deal with that
correct? Same thing with towns that may get annexed and such?

Cheers,

Richard

Re: Historical Place names

L.W.
Hi,

i did the folliwing:

the person is born in "the old place", then died at the "new place"

you can give a place an alternative name with a date or / and you can
add the place "enclosed by" by a date.

as far as i can see gramps uses the dates to display the correct name by
date/event.

i hope it helps a bit

regards

Am 25.01.2019 um 05:17 schrieb Richard Nairn:

> I recall seeing some conversation a little while ago regarding place
> names that have changed and how to handle that appropriately.
>
> I have an event - a marriage that happened in Edmonton, AB in 1902
> (then NWT) before Alberta was a province. Should I put in the place
> name as it was at that time? The city is the same, but the "Enclosed
> by" changes.
>
> From what I remember there really isn't a way to deal with that
> correct? Same thing with towns that may get annexed and such?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

Re: Historical Place names

Doug-11
{type City}Edmonton [enclosed by NWT before 1902]
                   [enclosed by Alberta {type Province}after
1.1.1902]

you should find that the places of events in Edmonton before
and after 1902 get assigned correctly automatically

Doug

On 25/01/2019 09:20, L.W. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i did the folliwing:
>
> the person is born in "the old place", then died at the
> "new place"
>
> you can give a place an alternative name with a date or /
> and you can add the place "enclosed by" by a date.
>
> as far as i can see gramps uses the dates to display the
> correct name by date/event.
>
> i hope it helps a bit
>
> regards
>

> Am 25.01.2019 um 05:17 schrieb Richard Nairn:
>> I recall seeing some conversation a little while ago
>> regarding place names that have changed and how to handle
>> that appropriately.
>>
>> I have an event - a marriage that happened in Edmonton,
>> AB in 1902 (then NWT) before Alberta was a province.
>> Should I put in the place name as it was at that time?
>> The city is the same, but the "Enclosed by" changes.
>>
>> From what I remember there really isn't a way to deal
>> with that correct? Same thing with towns that may get
>> annexed and such?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Richard

Re: Historical Place names

Richard Nairn
Ok thanks, I will look up how to do that properly.

On 2019-01-25 3:17 a.m., Doug wrote:

> {type City}Edmonton [enclosed by NWT before 1902]
>                   [enclosed by Alberta {type Province}after 1.1.1902]
>
> you should find that the places of events in Edmonton before and after
> 1902 get assigned correctly automatically
>
> Doug
>

> On 25/01/2019 09:20, L.W. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i did the folliwing:
>>
>> the person is born in "the old place", then died at the "new place"
>>
>> you can give a place an alternative name with a date or / and you can
>> add the place "enclosed by" by a date.
>>
>> as far as i can see gramps uses the dates to display the correct name
>> by date/event.
>>
>> i hope it helps a bit
>>
>> regards
>>

>> Am 25.01.2019 um 05:17 schrieb Richard Nairn:
>>> I recall seeing some conversation a little while ago regarding place
>>> names that have changed and how to handle that appropriately.
>>>
>>> I have an event - a marriage that happened in Edmonton, AB in 1902
>>> (then NWT) before Alberta was a province. Should I put in the place
>>> name as it was at that time? The city is the same, but the "Enclosed
>>> by" changes.
>>>
>>> From what I remember there really isn't a way to deal with that
>>> correct? Same thing with towns that may get annexed and such?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Richard

Re: Historical Place names

Doug-11