Quantcast

History Project on Gramps?

John
I have been using Gramps to put together the genealogy of my family for about a year and I am impressed by its power and its ease of use.

Another project I have had in mind for many years is the creation of a database of history.  Being technically rather limited (meaning I can use applications but not write or adapt them), designing and building a database from scratch is beyond me: I am wondering if Gramps would be a useful tool.
The purpose of this project is not to satisfy the academics who have libraries of rich material and like to get into the minutest detail; it is rather to allow the interested layman, such as myself, an understanding of the broad sweep of history and how events and people are linked to each other and together.  At school history was a complete turn off: presented as a dry and boring set of facts without any narrative, nobody explained or showed its relevance to today in that to understand where we are we need to know where we came from.  I am trying now to make up for lost time, and perhaps others are in the same boat.

If history is considered as the actions or reactions of people who find themselves in particular circumstances, then Gramps seems a suitable starting point as it leads with people.  Individuals as well as their families, be they imperial, royal, tyrannical, clerical, aristocratic, entrepreneurial, military, or political are a feature of history.

Events would need some treatment.  In addition to the ‘Personal’ and ‘Family’ events there would need to be ‘Historical’ events with a greatly expanded list of types (to include, for example, Invasion, War, Battle, Law, Treaty, Constitution, Court Decision, Strike, Riot, Protest, Economic Policy, Military Strategy, Election, Coup, Political Party, etc.  Other types such as Appointment, Resignation, Dismissal, Assassination, Assumption, Abdication, Coronation, Inauguration, etc. are also necessary, but it needs to be decided if they belong in ‘Personal, ‘Historical’, or another separate class).  And then there are ‘Natural’ events (Floods, Drought, Famine, Fire, Plague, Disease, Earthquake, Tsunami, Hurricane, Typhoon, etc.), and ‘Development’ events (Medical Advance, Scientific Theory, Scientific Discovery, Economic System, Political System, Social Change, Technological Invention, etc.) although these two could be included in the ‘Historical’ class.
Events would not necessarily be linked to people – many, for example the ‘Natural’ events, could not be.
Events need to be developed to have causes (just as people have parents) and consequences (as people have children).  Causes and consequences, which are often multiple, are other existing or new events.  And so there needs to be an Events Relationship Category.

While keeping the reports concerning people, there would need to be added similar reports based on events.  For example a report on the consequences of the death of John of Gaunt in 1399 would show it lead to the death of King Richard II, the Lancastrians taking power, the Wars of the Roses, the eventual Tudor take over and all the social and religious changes that followed: however, it would need to show how other causes contributed along the way.

I simple do not know if it is feasible to modify Gramps to suit this project.
Is it possible?
Is anybody interested?
Is it worth debating?
Is there a need?
Is there another database already existing that is more suitable?

John

Re : History Project on Gramps?

Note, I also looked[1][2][3][4][5] at something like that!

[1] Tagging historical events:
 http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=711
[2] Old places handling:
 http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=1560
[3] Old places display:
 http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4782
[4] Places database:
 http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2311
[5] Parsing an historical help
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=248

> [...]
> similar reports based on events.  For example a report
> on the consequences
> of the death of John of Gaunt in 1399 would show it lead to
> the death of
> King Richard II, the Lancastrians taking power, the Wars of
> the Roses, the
> eventual Tudor take over and all the social and religious
> changes that
> followed: however, it would need to show how other causes
> contributed along
> the way.
>
> I simple do not know if it is feasible to modify Gramps to
> suit this
> project.
> Is it possible?
> Is anybody interested?
> Is it worth debating?
> Is there a need?
> Is there another database already existing that is more

Martin Steer-2
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 01:16:38AM -0700, j2t2 wrote:
>I have been using Gramps to put together the genealogy of my family for about
>a year and I am impressed by its power and its ease of use.
>
>Another project I have had in mind for many years is the creation of a
>database of history.  Being technically rather limited (meaning I can use
>applications but not write or adapt them), designing and building a database
>from scratch is beyond me: I am wondering if Gramps would be a useful tool.

I think I'd use a private wiki, or similar, for something like this.
Wikis allow plenty of space for prose, with as many links between things
as you care to make, as well as searching, tagging, etc. There are a
number of good, free wiki engines. Some that come to mind are pmwiki,
foswiki, and dokuwiki. Lots of info on the web, for instance at
http://www.wikimatrix.org. A blog might also work.

M.