Holiday "Translations"

Douglas S. Blank
Translators and users in other countries may also want to take a look at
src/plugins/holidays.xml to add your country's holidays to the Calendar
reports. (By the way, you can add your personal holidays.xml in your own
.gramps/plugins/ directory.)

For details on constructing a holiday file for your group, see:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Calendar_tools_holidays

Swedish users can check out the current svn version of GRAMPS for the
latest addition (is it in the right character set?)

If you do create a general holiday file, please create it as per below,
and send it to me. Thanks!

-Doug

Instructions for sending me your updated holidays:

1) get gramps from svn:
svn co https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/branches/gramps22
gramps22

2) edit gramps22/src/plugins/holidays.xml

3) Make a patch:
cd gramps22
svn diff src/plugins/holidays.xml > holiday.patch

4) Send email to [hidden email] with patch as attachment

5) I'll add it, and you "svn update" and try out the calendar

Re: Holiday "Translations"

Jay Treacy
On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 05:52:10AM -0400, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
> Translators and users in other countries may also want to take a look at
> src/plugins/holidays.xml to add your country's holidays to the Calendar
> reports. (By the way, you can add your personal holidays.xml in your own
> .gramps/plugins/ directory.)
>
> For details on constructing a holiday file for your group, see:
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Calendar_tools_holidays

A few changes/comments on some holidays:

There is a mistake in the date for Victoria Day in Canada. It is the
first Monday before May 25. If I read the description in the wiki
properly this would be
    <date name="Victoria Day" value="*/5/25" offset="-mon" type="national" />
(I hope this becomes May 18 if May 25 falls on a Monday).

St-Jean Baptiste Day is not really 'type="national"' as it is
celebrated only in Quebec but I'm not sure what the proper type should
be.

A useful addition to this tool would be to have it internally know
when Easter is - making it useful for all years. This would allow the
removal of a number of lines from holidays.xml as well as allow a
number of other religious holidays to be defined. E.g. Ash Wednesday.

Daylight Savings Time changed in Canada and the US this year. It
now starts the second Sunday in March and ends the first Sunday in
November.

Besides being of dubious interest for genealogists, DST has changed a
number of times over the years. It is not even used in all parts of
the US or Canada. These make me want to have it removed.

This brings up some a good point about holidays that change (moved,
created or abolished). There is currently no mechanism to specify
that, leading to years where the holiday will be on the wrong date.
How about letting the year take on the format
   START-END
Where START is the first year of a holiday and END is the last. It
should be permissible for either to be missing (while that may seem
strange, it is no worse than the current use of an asterisk to allow
any year).

--
James Treacy

Re: Holiday "Translations"

Douglas S. Blank
On Fri, October 12, 2007 10:37 am, James A. Treacy wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 05:52:10AM -0400, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
>> Translators and users in other countries may also want to take a look at
>> src/plugins/holidays.xml to add your country's holidays to the Calendar
>> reports. (By the way, you can add your personal holidays.xml in your own
>> .gramps/plugins/ directory.)
>>
>> For details on constructing a holiday file for your group, see:
>>
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Calendar_tools_holidays
>
> A few changes/comments on some holidays:
>
> There is a mistake in the date for Victoria Day in Canada. It is the
> first Monday before May 25. If I read the description in the wiki
> properly this would be
>     <date name="Victoria Day" value="*/5/25" offset="-mon" type="national"
> />
> (I hope this becomes May 18 if May 25 falls on a Monday).

Can you test that and send me a patch (as mentioned in the original email)?

> St-Jean Baptiste Day is not really 'type="national"' as it is
> celebrated only in Quebec but I'm not sure what the proper type should
> be.

Those types aren't currently used, and will probably be removed, unless
someone can think of a useful thing to do with them in GRAMPS (see below).

> A useful addition to this tool would be to have it internally know
> when Easter is - making it useful for all years. This would allow the
> removal of a number of lines from holidays.xml as well as allow a
> number of other religious holidays to be defined. E.g. Ash Wednesday.

Yep, and I have code for easter in src/plugins/Calendar.py. I just need to
figure out then syntax for putting it into the XML.

> Daylight Savings Time changed in Canada and the US this year. It
> now starts the second Sunday in March and ends the first Sunday in
> November.
>
> Besides being of dubious interest for genealogists, DST has changed a
> number of times over the years. It is not even used in all parts of
> the US or Canada. These make me want to have it removed.

Many people use the calendar to make a gift for their relatives at the
beginning of a new year. So, yes, at least one use is outside the pure
genealogy usage, but quite handy to have on a yearly calendar. Maybe that
would be one usage for labeling these "types" so that you can easily make
a check box to NOT include whatever type DST would be...

> This brings up some a good point about holidays that change (moved,
> created or abolished). There is currently no mechanism to specify
> that, leading to years where the holiday will be on the wrong date.
> How about letting the year take on the format
>    START-END
> Where START is the first year of a holiday and END is the last. It
> should be permissible for either to be missing (while that may seem
> strange, it is no worse than the current use of an asterisk to allow
> any year).

Excellent! That would be a nice way to partition time through the ages so
that it could be more useful to genealogists. One could see the new year
on March 25 in 1753 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-style_date).

I'll look into adding this for GRAMPS 3.0. Thanks!

-Doug

> --
> James Treacy

Re: Holiday "Translations"

Jay Treacy
On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 10:57:02AM -0400, Douglas S. Blank wrote:
> On Fri, October 12, 2007 10:37 am, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > There is a mistake in the date for Victoria Day in Canada. It is the
> > first Monday before May 25. If I read the description in the wiki
> > properly this would be
> >     <date name="Victoria Day" value="*/5/25" offset="-mon" type="national"
> > />
> > (I hope this becomes May 18 if May 25 falls on a Monday).

An alternative way of stating this is 'the first Monday on or before May 24'.
This is the way the offset works in holidays.xml so the line should be:
    <date name="Victoria Day" value="*/5/24" offset="-mon" type="national"

> Can you test that and send me a patch (as mentioned in the original email)?

Tested and it works perfectly. Patch attached.

> Many people use the calendar to make a gift for their relatives at the
> beginning of a new year. So, yes, at least one use is outside the pure
> genealogy usage, but quite handy to have on a yearly calendar. Maybe that
> would be one usage for labeling these "types" so that you can easily make
> a check box to NOT include whatever type DST would be...

For generating a yearly calendar, I suggest pcal. Very flexible and
nice output. The drawback is it doesn't grab data from gramps. :(

--
James Treacy

holiday.patch (766 bytes) Download Attachment