How Are Notes Used?

link
How does Gramps use the note types?  Are there any expectations on the user for different note types?  Is certain data expected in a particular type?  For instance, a note with type Citation should only have a full citation text; one with type Link should only have a link to a file or website; and one with Transcript should only have a transcript of some reference?

There are a number of types in the drop down whenever a note is created:  Citation, General, HTML code, Link, Report, Research, Source text, To Do, Transcript and Unknown.

And then there are types that are presented only when editing a note for the corresponding object type. Event Note, Family Note, Media Note, Person Note, Place Note, Repository Note, Source Note and Person Note.  Interestingly, there is no pre-defined Citation Note but Citation is the default type.

Doug

Re: How Are Notes Used?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Doug

The only type that has a specific function within gramps is the "To
do" type. Adding this type to a note on a person or event, etc,
automatically adds the note to the To Do gramplet and its associated
report.

When adding a note, gramps offers up a common type for similar notes.
You of course are free to set your own type for each note.

Dave

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 12:05 AM link <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How does Gramps use the note types?  Are there any expectations on the user for different note types?  Is certain data expected in a particular type?  For instance, a note with type Citation should only have a full citation text; one with type Link should only have a link to a file or website; and one with Transcript should only have a transcript of some reference?
>
> There are a number of types in the drop down whenever a note is created:  Citation, General, HTML code, Link, Report, Research, Source text, To Do, Transcript and Unknown.
>
> And then there are types that are presented only when editing a note for the corresponding object type. Event Note, Family Note, Media Note, Person Note, Place Note, Repository Note, Source Note and Person Note.  Interestingly, there is no pre-defined Citation Note but Citation is the default type.
>
> Doug

Re: How Are Notes Used?

On 15/10/2019 04:40, link wrote:
> And then there are types that are presented only when editing a note for the corresponding object type. Event Note, Family Note, Media Note, Person Note, Place Note, Repository Note, Source Note and Person Note.  Interestingly, there is no pre-defined Citation Note but Citation is the default type.

These note types exist to help users find notes from backlinks.

Re: How Are Notes Used?

On 15/10/2019 13:04, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> The only type that has a specific function within gramps is the "To
> do" type. Adding this type to a note on a person or event, etc,
> automatically adds the note to the To Do gramplet and its associated
> report.

The HTML code type is used for template code in the narrative web report.

Re: How Are Notes Used?

link
Thanks for the two email Nick, but I’m not sure what you mean by backlinks.

Doug

> On Oct 15, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 15/10/2019 04:40, link wrote:
>> And then there are types that are presented only when editing a note for the corresponding object type. Event Note, Family Note, Media Note, Person Note, Place Note, Repository Note, Source Note and Person Note.  Interestingly, there is no pre-defined Citation Note but Citation is the default type.
>
> These note types exist to help users find notes from backlinks.
>

> Nick.

Re: How Are Notes Used?

Patrice Legoux
The HTML code type is used for template code in the narrative web report.

It's also fully exported into gedcom.
I use it with the citations to display pictures embedded into sources flow on my online tree on Geneanet. i.e:

Patrice

On 16/10/2019 03:23, link wrote:
> Thanks for the two email Nick, but I’m not sure what you mean by backlinks.

They are called "References" in the user interface.  Sorry about that.

It can be difficult to find a note given only the primary object (e.g.
Person).