How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Hans Boldt
I just gave version 4.1 a try, but I'm finding it too unstable, so I want to return to 3.4. I've looked through the docs, but can't find the instructions for uninstalling 4.1. How do I uninstall 4.1?

(During my test of 4.1, it frequently seemed to get into an unresponsive state, with CPU pegged at 100%.)

Cheers! Hans

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Ron Johnson
To know how to uninstall, one must first know how it was installed.

(There's a really Zen haiku in there, but I'm not clever enough...)

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Ken

On 08/07/14 04:02 PM, Hans Boldt wrote:
> I just gave version 4.1 a try, but I'm finding it too unstable, so I
> want to return to 3.4. I've looked through the docs, but can't find
> the instructions for uninstalling 4.1. How do I uninstall 4.1?
>
> (During my test of 4.1, it frequently seemed to get into an
> unresponsive state, with CPU pegged at 100%.)
>
> Cheers! Hans

Telling us the operating system you're using as well as if your database
was updated after the switch would help you get answers.

Ken from Canada.

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Hans Boldt
Hi Ron!

I installed from the gramps-4.1.0.tar.gz tarball, on openSUSE 13.1, using the setup.py program, which doesn't seem to have a uninstall option.

Cheers! Hans

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

enno
Hi Hans,
> I installed from the gramps-4.1.0.tar.gz tarball, on openSUSE 13.1,
> using the setup.py program, which doesn't seem to have a uninstall option.
That's true indeed, no uninstall. You may try to install the 4.0.4
tarball on top of it, and see if that works for you. It uses the same
database and XML format as 3.4, but uses gtk 3 like 4.1, and sad enough
we also have reports about that 4.0.4 is unresponsive now and then.

If you want to go back to 3.4, there may be ways for that too, but I
don't know what happens when you install that from deb or rpm. The menu
may still activate Gramps 4 then, but that can be cured, provided that
you can run some superuser commands.

regards,

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You may try to install the 4.0.4
> tarball on top of it, and see if that works for you. It uses the same
> database and XML format as 3.4, but uses gtk 3 like 4.1, and sad enough
> we also have reports about that 4.0.4 is unresponsive now and then.

As a 4.0.4 user, I can attest to that now and then unresponsiveness. I
thought it was my RAM or lack thereof. The unresponsiveness is far
from ideal, but it only happens rather infrequently. But it definitely
does happen.

Best wishes,

Peter

On 07/09/2014 09:51 AM, Peter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You may try to install the 4.0.4
>> tarball on top of it, and see if that works for you. It uses the same
>> database and XML format as 3.4, but uses gtk 3 like 4.1, and sad enough
>> we also have reports about that 4.0.4 is unresponsive now and then.
> As a 4.0.4 user, I can attest to that now and then unresponsiveness. I
> thought it was my RAM or lack thereof. The unresponsiveness is far
> from ideal, but it only happens rather infrequently. But it definitely
> does happen.

It's an interaction with Gtk (typically when exiting an editor window) where
Gramps suddenly starts using 100% CPU.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 10:44:22 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>It's an interaction with Gtk (typically when exiting an editor window)
>where Gramps suddenly starts using 100% CPU.

I have seen that here occasionally, and wondered what the cause was.  Now
I know, thanks.

--
 Regards  _
Dream on white boy, dream on black girl

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Hans Boldt
Ron:

Has a defect report been submitted? Is a fix forthcoming? It happened often enough for me that I consider the problem a showstopper, which is why I want to return to 3.4.

Hans

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/09/2014 09:51 AM, Peter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You may try to install the 4.0.4
>> tarball on top of it, and see if that works for you. It uses the same
>> database and XML format as 3.4, but uses gtk 3 like 4.1, and sad enough
>> we also have reports about that 4.0.4 is unresponsive now and then.
> As a 4.0.4 user, I can attest to that now and then unresponsiveness. I
> thought it was my RAM or lack thereof. The unresponsiveness is far
> from ideal, but it only happens rather infrequently. But it definitely
> does happen.

It's an interaction with Gtk (typically when exiting an editor window) where
Gramps suddenly starts using 100% CPU.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Yes; multiple bugs.  But the dev team can't replicate it.

On 07/09/2014 11:26 AM, Hans Boldt wrote:
Ron:

Has a defect report been submitted? Is a fix forthcoming? It happened often enough for me that I consider the problem a showstopper, which is why I want to return to 3.4.

Hans

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/09/2014 09:51 AM, Peter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You may try to install the 4.0.4
>> tarball on top of it, and see if that works for you. It uses the same
>> database and XML format as 3.4, but uses gtk 3 like 4.1, and sad enough
>> we also have reports about that 4.0.4 is unresponsive now and then.
> As a 4.0.4 user, I can attest to that now and then unresponsiveness. I
> thought it was my RAM or lack thereof. The unresponsiveness is far
> from ideal, but it only happens rather infrequently. But it definitely
> does happen.

It's an interaction with Gtk (typically when exiting an editor window) where
Gramps suddenly starts using 100% CPU.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Hans Boldt
Yucch! During my career as a computer programmer, I worked for a year on a Python application. One thing that killed the project was a slew of random, hard to reproduce errors. I love Python as a programming language, but sometimes random problems such as this make me think that Python is not entirely acceptable for large applications.

At any rate, I'm now thinking I should stick with 4.1, at least a while longer, to see if I can make sense of the issue.

Cheers! Hans

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes; multiple bugs.  But the dev team can't replicate it.

On 07/09/2014 11:26 AM, Hans Boldt wrote:
Ron:

Has a defect report been submitted? Is a fix forthcoming? It happened often enough for me that I consider the problem a showstopper, which is why I want to return to 3.4.

Hans

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/09/2014 09:51 AM, Peter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You may try to install the 4.0.4
>> tarball on top of it, and see if that works for you. It uses the same
>> database and XML format as 3.4, but uses gtk 3 like 4.1, and sad enough
>> we also have reports about that 4.0.4 is unresponsive now and then.
> As a 4.0.4 user, I can attest to that now and then unresponsiveness. I
> thought it was my RAM or lack thereof. The unresponsiveness is far
> from ideal, but it only happens rather infrequently. But it definitely
> does happen.

It's an interaction with Gtk (typically when exiting an editor window) where
Gramps suddenly starts using 100% CPU.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

This is a lack with this current way: 'setuptool/distutil' do/does not
provide a real 'uninstall' class.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools#uninstalling

http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/#uninstall-information

distutils2 seems to provide one.
http://bugs.python.org/issue4673

Note, I remember using a simple log file with setup.py, just for having
a quick way to uninstall...

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2621#c22067

regards,
Jérôme

Le mer. 9 juil. 2014 at 4:13, Hans Boldt <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Ron!
>
> I installed from the gramps-4.1.0.tar.gz tarball, on openSUSE 13.1,
> using the setup.py program, which doesn't seem to have a uninstall
> option.
>
> Cheers! Hans
>

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> To know how to uninstall, one must first know how it was installed.
>>
>> (There's a really Zen haiku in there, but I'm not clever enough...)
>>
>> On 07/08/2014 06:02 PM, Hans Boldt wrote:
>> > I just gave version 4.1 a try, but I'm finding it too unstable, so
>> I want
>> > to return to 3.4. I've looked through the docs, but can't find the
>> > instructions for uninstalling 4.1. How do I uninstall 4.1?
>> >
>> > (During my test of 4.1, it frequently seemed to get into an
>> unresponsive
>> > state, with CPU pegged at 100%.)
>> >
>> > Cheers! Hans
>> >

>> --
>> My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

>> Open source business process management suite built on Java and
>> Eclipse
>> Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM Community
>> Edition
>> Quickly connect people, data, and systems into organized workflows
>> Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner awards
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/Bonitasoft

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

It seems specific to some recent dependencies versions (python-gobject,
gtk3)

I cannot reproduce it with gtk 3.6, python-gobject 3.3.2 on a 10 years
old PC with 512Mo ram!

I suppose that we can guess the cause and it looks like Nick has a
workaround...

Just for info, can you reproduce it under an other desktop than Gnome
3.10/3.12 ?

Jérôme.

Le mer. 9 juil. 2014 at 19:03, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Yes; multiple bugs.  But the dev team can't replicate it.
>
> On 07/09/2014 11:26 AM, Hans Boldt wrote:
>> Ron:
>>
>> Has a defect report been submitted? Is a fix forthcoming? It
>> happened often enough for me that I consider the problem a
>> showstopper, which is why I want to return to 3.4.
>>
>> Hans
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> same
>>> enough
>>> then.
>>> unresponsiveness. I
>>> definitely
>>>
>>> It's an interaction with Gtk (typically when exiting an editor
>>> window) where
>>> Gramps suddenly starts using 100% CPU.
>>>

> --
> My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Nick Hall
On 10/07/14 07:41, Jerome wrote:
> I suppose that we can guess the cause and it looks like Nick has a
> workaround...
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7809
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7771
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7772

We use a custom Gtk TreeModel for our list views.  It is possible that
the interaction between this model and the Gtk TreeView is the cause of
the problem.  Closing a window over a view, or simply moving a mouse
cursor could emit a signal which could trigger the bug.  This could have
a random appearance to most users.

For bug #7771, I re-wrote the model using a Gtk TreeStore.  This solved
the problem for the reporter.

Since I cannot reproduce any of these bugs, I don't know if they are
related or not.  It would be interesting to know what view is active at
the time.

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

Ubuntu 13.10 actually has libgtk 3.8.6.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

jerome
Maybe unrelated, but when I looked at performances with new libs[1], I
thought that I should either run gramps 4 before python GObject 3.8.3
or after!

[1]
https://www.mail-archive.com/python-hackers-list@.../msg00267.html

PS: it seemed to me, that I got better performances by hidding most
plugins from plugins manager, but this could be cosmetic on some recent
configurations.

Le jeu. 10 juil. 2014 at 16:29, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Ubuntu 13.10 actually has libgtk 3.8.6.
>
> On 07/10/2014 01:41 AM, Jerome wrote:
>> It seems specific to some recent dependencies versions
>> (python-gobject, gtk3)
>>
>> I cannot reproduce it with gtk 3.6, python-gobject 3.3.2 on a 10
>> years old PC with 512Mo ram!
>>
>> I suppose that we can guess the cause and it looks like Nick has a
>> workaround...
>>
>> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7809
>> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7771
>> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7772
>>
>> Just for info, can you reproduce it under an other desktop than
>> Gnome 3.10/3.12 ?
>>

> --
> My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

I read the python-hackers message, but still don't know what you mean by

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: How Do I Uninstall Gramps 4.1?

jerome
I thought on something like timeout (GLib/GObject) before/after
python-GObject 3.8.3 after reading:

"This might be a performance regression caused by "type_from_name" being
moved from static C bindings to introspection, it is used in the GObject
overrides to create the series of pre-defined "TYPE_XYZ" module
variables
[4]."

[4]
https://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/gi/overrides/GObject.py?id=3.8.3#n110