How Do You Document Who, What, When and Where of Photos?

How Do You Document Who, What, When and Where of Photos?

Dave Gilmore
Hey all,

This question stems from a conversation I was having with Ron Johnson. I
have always wondered the best way of documenting the facts of a photo.
Let's say you have a group shot from Grandpa Simpson's 80th birthday
party in front of Moe's Tavern. You have the Who, you have the What, you
have the When and you have the Where. I can quickly see this turning
into a lot of records in the database

- Each person in the photo gets the photo added to their person gallery

- An event can be created, with the photo in it's gallery and that event
added to everyone's person record with their role as type "Participant"
or something like that

- The photo can be added to the Moe's Tavern place gallery to show the
front of the tavern at that time.

Doing that for every photo you add to Gramps could clutter things up in
a hurry, I think. Do you do things like that with photos or is it
easiest just to add most of the details of a photo in Notes?

Thanks!

--
Dave Gilmore

Re: How Do You Document Who, What, When and Where of Photos?

Rich Lakey
I'm not 100% happy with my method, but I use the file name I assign the photo. That shows up in the gallery and also I can search the gallery folder on file name to find a picture I am looking for. All pictures start with a date. yyyymmdd. then the name of the person or document followed by a description. I end the name with a number 0001. Sometimes I have multiple pictures with the same name so I use the number to differentiate those pictures.  An example - 19440200-Richard Lola and Kenneth Lakey 0001.jpg or 19650827-NP Engagement Rich Lakey and Nancy Bentrop 0001.jpg  . The NP signifies Newspaper clipping.
It gets complicated with a large group picture. There I give the main participant(s) and the event normally. Such as a 50th wedding anniversary. I give the date, event and the couple for group pictures but for pictures with only a few people I add those names. Since my gallery has over 1,000 pictures I'm not ready to start over (G). Some dates of older pictures are a best guess and require some deduction. The date 19440200 in my first example is by looking at my apparent age (1 1/2) and my dad in his uniform.

Rich

On 07/31/2016 09:30 AM, Dave Gilmore wrote:
[...]

n00b
i've struggled with naming photos and even people: when a family loves to recycle the same given name, no matter how unique the surname, 30 john smiths in 5 generations will get mixed up. thus people themselves are named ie smith, john 1887 as they're entered. matching up records for me has had to start with the same file name, ie smith, john 1887. i end the record names with the dates. if i have a batch of photos for one person i've had to still begin the file name with the matching person's name. it would really help if our computers allowed for a sub naming of files ie smith, john 1887, sub: 25th anniversary [wife] mary, family, cake 1930. for me tagging is too cumbersome still, and doesn't show up when searching on file names. photos i name by event and end with the date, all fwiw.

Re: How Do You Document Who, What, When and Where of Photos?

Hey Dave,

> This question stems from a conversation I was having with Ron Johnson. I
> have always wondered the best way of documenting the facts of a photo.
> Let's say you have a group shot from Grandpa Simpson's 80th birthday
> party in front of Moe's Tavern. You have the Who, you have the What, you
> have the When and you have the Where. I can quickly see this turning
> into a lot of records in the database
I think that a lot depends on how you like to use that photo. Is it just
there to document the event? Do you want it to appear next to each
person in Gramps itself, or in a report? Do you want to attach
particular regions to persons, so that you only see their face in the
person's gallery?

That's lots of questions that I can't answer for you, partly also
because I don't really know much about reports, and how photos can or
can't be used in those.

There may also be a situation where you get a photo for which you're not
exactly sure who's on it and who's not. In that case, you can put a
description in a note, as it is told by a relative, one which needs
verification before you attach the event to participants. You may also
not be completely sure about the where and when.

In a source driven approach, I'd probably add the photo and the note to
a source citation, where the source maybe an album, and the citation may
refer to a page/picture number and an estimated date. You can then later
attach the source to an event, and check whether it appears with its
source in reports.

In short, I don't have a definitive answer, and I suggest that you
experiment a bit.

regards,

Re: How Do You Document Who, What, When and Where of Photos?

paul womack
Dave Gilmore wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> This question stems from a conversation I was having with Ron Johnson. I
> have always wondered the best way of documenting the facts of a photo.
> Let's say you have a group shot from Grandpa Simpson's 80th birthday
> party in front of Moe's Tavern. You have the Who, you have the What, you
> have the When and you have the Where. I can quickly see this turning
> into a lot of records in the database
>
> - Each person in the photo gets the photo added to their person gallery

I don't do this;

> - An event can be created, with the photo in it's gallery and that event
> added to everyone's person record with their role as type "Participant"
> or something like that

I do this; photo's at wedding's I just put against the Marriage event,
but if it is a true "snapshot" I have made a pure "Photo"
event, and a role of "Present".

A Photo events may well have a date and a place against it, as per...

> - The photo can be added to the Moe's Tavern place gallery to show the
> front of the tavern at that time.

I only use the gallery on people to store the main "icon" image.
All other photo are associated with Events.

This allows me to leverage Gramps's searching and filtering.
(e.g. I can search for all photographs of the Bloggs family
when they were 16 or less, between 1920 and 1950)

    BugBear

Re: How Do You Document Who, What, When and Where of Photos?

Doug-11
On 31/07/16 16:03, Rich wrote:

> I'm not 100% happy with my method, but I use the file name
> I assign the photo. That shows up in the gallery and also
> I can search the gallery folder on file name to find a
> picture I am looking for. All pictures start with a date.
> yyyymmdd. then the name of the person or document followed
> by a description. I end the name with a number 0001.
> Sometimes I have multiple pictures with the same name so I
> use the number to differentiate those pictures.  An
> example - 19440200-Richard Lola and Kenneth Lakey 0001.jpg
> or 19650827-NP Engagement Rich Lakey and Nancy Bentrop
> 0001.jpg  . The NP signifies Newspaper clipping.
> It gets complicated with a large group picture. There I
> give the main participant(s) and the event normally. Such
> as a 50th wedding anniversary. I give the date, event and
> the couple for group pictures but for pictures with only a
> few people I add those names. Since my gallery has over
> 1,000 pictures I'm not ready to start over (G). Some dates
> of older pictures are a best guess and require some
> deduction. The date 19440200 in my first example is by
> looking at my apparent age (1 1/2) and my dad in his uniform.
>
> Rich
<snip>

My media folder is similar in size to yours and I do
something similar - by no means as well organised - but I
try to get hold of group photos a lot and then make use of
photo tagging to identify the individuals present. The
occasion doesn't necessarily appear as an event attached to
each person, but it will appear in their gallery.

Doug

Re: How Do You Document Who, What, When and Where of Photos?

Elvin Birth
I haven't followed the thread closely.

Has any one noted that data blocks in .tiff and .jpg files may already have massive amounts of documentation stored?

What the camera has not recorded may be added by software; some of it fairly common software such as Preview in OS X on a Mac.

Re: How Do You Document Who, What, When and Where of Photos?

Dave Gilmore
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I absolutely agree that part of
identifying Who, What, When, Where should be in the image file name or
properties itself. But, I'm looking for thoughts on how to use Gramps'
database elements to accurately describe the photo

Dave