How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

Dave Gilmore
I ran into this today where I located an Ancestor on Findagrave.com. The
grave record has links to his spouse (which I need to review), and their
children. Some of the female children are listed with their married
names (new families - yay!). The findagrave record tells me who added
this record (someone I should contact for more information). If I view
comments made to them on their profile it lists other people inquiring
about people in my tree (more people to contact).

With all of this new information, my lack of focus kicks in and I start
giddily clicking on all the new links I want to see. Before I know it,
I'm way off track. My goal is to try and focus on finding out info on
this one particular person, but I'm like Alice going down the rabbit hole.

Do you folks have an organized way (Gramps or not) to keep a reminder of
needing to go back to a particular piece of information at a later time?
I'd like a way to remind myself that when I am ready ot start
researching one of the children, I already found some stuff on them.

Thanks!

Re: How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

enno
Dave,
> Do you folks have an organized way (Gramps or not) to keep a reminder of
> needing to go back to a particular piece of information at a later time?
> I'd like a way to remind myself that when I am ready ot start
> researching one of the children, I already found some stuff on them.
I have used Evernote for a while, and still use it to clip portions of
web pages sometimes. I would love to have a way for Gramps to import
from Evernote, but alas, that is not there, yet.

I must say that for some things, it is easier to paste them from the web
into LibreOffice Writer, because it can be used off-line, editing is
better, and it still preserves web links, etc. That's sort of a
to-do-document or notepad for me.

Hope this helps. There are other programs to clip pages from the web,
but I find Evernote the most flexible.

regards,

Re: How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

Gerhard Killesreiter

Re: How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

Dave Gilmore
Hi Enno,

On 6/14/2016 12:43 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> I have used Evernote for a while, and still use it to clip portions of
> web pages sometimes. I would love to have a way for Gramps to import
> from Evernote, but alas, that is not there, yet.
>
> I must say that for some things, it is easier to paste them from the web
> into LibreOffice Writer, because it can be used off-line, editing is
> better, and it still preserves web links, etc. That's sort of a
> to-do-document or notepad for me.
>
> Hope this helps. There are other programs to clip pages from the web,
> but I find Evernote the most flexible.
>
> regards,
>
> Enno

When I reference any web pages, I paste their text contents into a note
and attach it to the citation. I see your point about preserving the
links, though.

I'm using ownNote (part of owncloud) for something like this now. I
don't have a lot of research notes in it yet, so I imagine my strategy
will be to just search my own clippings to see if i have stuff on this
person already?

Re: How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

Dave Gilmore
Hi Gerhard,

On 6/14/2016 12:54 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> There's a "ToDo" gramplet which I use for this.
> It let's you create notes that are of type "Todo" and you can view
> them in the gramplet on the workbench area (or just use the notes
> overview and filter).
>
> I tag them with the place I want to check (e.g.: archive XY, section
> AB, ...) and put the information I have into the body.
>
> You could also attach these notes to the affected people.
>
> When I am done with a note, I change the type to "done", so they do no
> longer show up in the gramplet.
>
> Cheers,
> Gerhard

I haven't checked out the ToDo feature yet, but sounds like I need to.

Re: How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

Peter Merchant

------
> Cheers,
> Gerhard

I use knotes [ my system is Kubuntu] and have different genealogy notes
for different families. But the Todo gramplet looks very interesting.
Peter M

Re: How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

rcarlson

> Do you folks have an organized way (Gramps or not) to keep a reminder of
> needing to go back to a particular piece of information at a later time?
> I'd like a way to remind myself that when I am ready ot start
> researching one of the children, I already found some stuff on them.

I'm a spreadsheet fan who like to filter and search and colour in sheets so ...

I use a spreadsheet as a journal to capture anything that might be relevant to my research. This has developed over the years to include:

  • a journal number
  • family name
  • source
  • relevant (Y/n)
  • details being captured

If the entry spawns further research, I have another sheet I call an issue log, but it could be a todo sheet. This also has evolved over the years to include:

  • issue number
  • Open or Closed field
  • Family name
  • Link to journal number
  • Where I might research the issue
  • Priority
  • What I am looking into
  • Notes on progress made or ideas formed

I found I had many leads to follow up so priority (High, Medium, Low) allows me to focus on those that are direct descendants rather than those on the periphery (nice to have).

The "where I might research the issue" helps me if for example I am planning a visit to a particular place (say the National Archives). I can quickly focus on the things I might find there before thinking of other things to look up.

Kind regards
Richard

Re: How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

Dave Gilmore

Hi Richard,

On 6/16/2016 1:00 PM, Richard Carlson wrote:
[...]

I've been thinking about this issue for a few days now and I think I'm going to try out your approach _and_ some of the ToDo functions in Gramps. Ultimately, Gramps should be our One Stop source for all of our research. But I don't always have Gramps on the computer I'm on. I do, however, always have LibreOffice on my computers, or on a portable USB key, so I think a spreadsheet is a great way to get this organized. I will use Gramps to keep more details journal-like notes once I get back to the software

I'm going to play around with the spreadsheet based on what you laid out and let you know if I tweak it any for my needs.

Thanks!

Re: How Do You Note Future Research Leads?

rcarlson

> I've been thinking about this issue for a few days now and I think I'm
> going to try out your approach _and_ some of the ToDo functions in
> Gramps. Ultimately, Gramps should be our One Stop source for all of our
> research. But I don't always have Gramps on the computer I'm on. I do,
> however, always have LibreOffice on my computers, or on a portable USB
> key, so I think a spreadsheet is a great way to get this organized. I
> will use Gramps to keep more details journal-like notes once I get back
> to the software

> I'm going to play around with the spreadsheet based on what you laid out
> and let you know if I tweak it any for my needs.

> Thanks!

You're welcome.

There are several ways of carrying Gramps around with you as I'm sure you know.
My problem is in my head. I like to think of Gramps as the place I store my valuable data.

As such my spreadsheets are just notes for me to carefully consider before entering

stuff into Gramps. (Of course my notes are also valuable but in a different way)

I do as you seem to be planning - take a laptop or tablet with a spreadsheet. Also the

latest NavWeb report from Gramps so I can check what is in Gramps when looking

for connections. I'm onto version 4 of my journal and 5 of my issue log.

Make it suit your needs.

Richard