How are custom types handled?

Matthias Kemmer
Hi Devs,
how are custom types (e.g. custom event types) added to the database and
how are they removed from the database? Are they stored in any other
files outside the database? I'd like to create a cleanup tool which
removes unused custom types from my database.

Kind regards,
Matt

Re: How are custom types handled?

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
That's WONDERFUL news Paul!

I hope this tool will support Merging custom types ... most of my Custom types needing removal can be traced back to the case sensitivity. (i.e. a 'birth' event instead of a 'Birth' because I keyboarded instead of moused. --- And my down-arrow key contacts are literally worn out because of Gramps over-use.)

(Since all the standard types are Title case, the input would generate a LOT fewer error beeps if the Input was title case too.  But that's a future enhancement.

I actually find it necessary to turn off the audio output when using Gramps with others within hearing distance.)

-Brian

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 8:32, Paul Culley

Re: How are custom types handled?

prculley
I just uploaded the new tool.  It doesn't support merging or renaming of the types at this time.  It does allow editing of the objects that use a custom type, if you don't have very many that are wrong, this might not be too bad a way to fix.

Coding up a rename or reselect of a type, would be as bit of a challenge, as there are a lot of objects with different places that the 'type' can be found.  I will give it some thought, but don't get your hopes up.

Paul C.

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 9:23 AM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's WONDERFUL news Paul!

I hope this tool will support Merging custom types ... most of my Custom types needing removal can be traced back to the case sensitivity. (i.e. a 'birth' event instead of a 'Birth' because I keyboarded instead of moused. --- And my down-arrow key contacts are literally worn out because of Gramps over-use.)

(Since all the standard types are Title case, the input would generate a LOT fewer error beeps if the Input was title case too.  But that's a future enhancement.

I actually find it necessary to turn off the audio output when using Gramps with others within hearing distance.)

-Brian

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 8:32, Paul Culley

Re: How are custom types handled?

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Wow!  That's cool.

The tool has been added to the Addons list

If you want want to link in a Help button, a placeholder webpage has been created at:
The page is based on your Notes Cleanup Tool page.  ll give the Tool a workout and expand the wiki.  I did notice the

Thank you for the unanticipated Christmas present!

On Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 11:45:37 AM CST, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Great work Paul!

Matt