How can I set different Database Paths for different Trees?

How can I set different Database Paths for different Trees?

Chicky Bid
Hi.
I've got Gramps 5 on Windows 10 (see below).
I've got 5 separate family trees and previously I've just left the Database
path as .....\Gramps Data  .
When I've established each tree I just left Gramps to generate what looks to
me like a randomly generated subfolder name consisting of letters and
numbers to store each Tree's data. But to identify which Tree is in which
folder I have to go into Manage Family Trees and look each one up. I thought
I'd create a separate subfolder within Gramps Data with the name of the Tree
and put a copy of the randomly named data-subfolder for that tree in the
subfolder named specifically after that family tree. I then opened each
Family tree in turn and, via Edit\Preferences\Database Path, changed the
Path for each tree to the relevant Tree.

But Gramps doesn't seem to like this and either Gramps can't find the
relevant subfolders or if it does, I find when I open it that the Database
Path specified under Edit\Preferences\etc is that of the previously open
Tree and not that of the one I've just opened.

I've looked in the Users' Manual and can't find anything about specifying
different Paths for different Trees.
I suspect I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

Chicky Bid

Re: How can I set different Database Paths for different Trees?

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 05:54:30 -0500 (CDT)
Chicky Bid <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Chicky,

>I suspect I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

You are:  Tree path setting is global, not per tree.

--
 Regards  _
Just coz they do it in the movies, doesn't mean to say that it's cool

Re: How can I set different Database Paths for different Trees?

Hi Chicky

Yes, the  Manager Family Trees within Gramps only works globally.  But
try this...

Close Gramps.

Go to your database folder and rename the randomly generated folder
names with the name of the family tree. There is a name.txt file in
the folder which will have the name of family tree to easily identify
with folder holds which tree.

The default database folder is
c:\users\%user%\appdata\roamilng\gramps\grampsdb   Note: the appdata
folder is by default hidden by windows.

You will also need to delete
c:\users\%user%\appdata\roamilng\gramps\recent-files-gramps.xml

When you relaunch Gramps, a new recent-files-gramps.xml file will
automatically be created, You will just need to repopulate the list
using Manage Family Trees.

And of course, if you ever create a new tree, you will need to do the
above over again.

HTH Dave

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 6:55 AM Chicky Bid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
> I've got Gramps 5 on Windows 10 (see below).
> I've got 5 separate family trees and previously I've just left the Database
> path as .....\Gramps Data  .
> When I've established each tree I just left Gramps to generate what looks to
> me like a randomly generated subfolder name consisting of letters and
> numbers to store each Tree's data. But to identify which Tree is in which
> folder I have to go into Manage Family Trees and look each one up. I thought
> I'd create a separate subfolder within Gramps Data with the name of the Tree
> and put a copy of the randomly named data-subfolder for that tree in the
> subfolder named specifically after that family tree. I then opened each
> Family tree in turn and, via Edit\Preferences\Database Path, changed the
> Path for each tree to the relevant Tree.
>
> But Gramps doesn't seem to like this and either Gramps can't find the
> relevant subfolders or if it does, I find when I open it that the Database
> Path specified under Edit\Preferences\etc is that of the previously open
> Tree and not that of the one I've just opened.
>
> I've looked in the Users' Manual and can't find anything about specifying
> different Paths for different Trees.
> I suspect I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?
>
> Chicky Bid
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: How can I set different Database Paths for different Trees?

Peter Merchant
On 28/07/2019 11:54, Chicky Bid wrote:

> Hi.
> I've got Gramps 5 on Windows 10 (see below).
> I've got 5 separate family trees and previously I've just left the Database
> path as .....\Gramps Data  .
> When I've established each tree I just left Gramps to generate what looks to
> me like a randomly generated subfolder name consisting of letters and
> numbers to store each Tree's data. But to identify which Tree is in which
> folder I have to go into Manage Family Trees and look each one up. I thought
> I'd create a separate subfolder within Gramps Data with the name of the Tree
> and put a copy of the randomly named data-subfolder for that tree in the
> subfolder named specifically after that family tree. I then opened each
> Family tree in turn and, via Edit\Preferences\Database Path, changed the
> Path for each tree to the relevant Tree.
>
> But Gramps doesn't seem to like this and either Gramps can't find the
> relevant subfolders or if it does, I find when I open it that the Database
> Path specified under Edit\Preferences\etc is that of the previously open
> Tree and not that of the one I've just opened.
>
> I've looked in the Users' Manual and can't find anything about specifying
> different Paths for different Trees.
> I suspect I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?
>
> Chicky Bid

Hi Chicky, Months ago there was a discussion here about whether to have separate trees, or just one large tree, with the consensus being to have just one large tree.

I went through the exercise of deleting common people from the 'sub' trees and absorbing them into the main tree, and then resolving duplicates. I am happy with this.  It saves me having to enter new grandchildren etc. on multiple trees.

I believe that I documented the process on here, but if you can't find it I certainly wrote it up somewhere.

On the other hand, if one could rename those random number identifiers with the main family name, perhaps that could be useful for some people. I think it would have to be addressed as a feature addition.

Peter M

On 7/28/19 5:54 AM, Chicky Bid wrote:
> Hi.
> I've got Gramps 5 on Windows 10 (see below).
> I've got 5 separate family trees and previously I've just left the Database
> path as .....\Gramps Data  .
> When I've established each tree I just left Gramps to generate what looks to
> me like a randomly generated subfolder name consisting of letters and
> numbers to store each Tree's data. But to identify which Tree is in which
> folder I have to go into Manage Family Trees and look each one up.

Out of curiosity, why do you care?  Backups are performed via the program
itself, not by copying database folders, and the most likely outcome from an
"end user" regularly poking around there is Corrupted Data.