How can one add godparents to the relationship graphics?

How can one add godparents to the relationship graphics?

SaraI
I need to keep track of who is whose godparent, co-parent and godchild. In my
extended family, the bond is strong enough that I still consider my parents'
godparents' children and grandchildren to be part of my family (akin to
distant cousins one meets at least once or twice a year, but a definite part
of the spiritual and everyday family nonetheless).

I'm creating relationship reports to keep track of my distant cousins and
help the younger generations know who is who, but I can't find a way to
introduce godparents into the trees.

Also, is there any way to create a godparent relationship that automatically
sets the correspondent godchild and co-parent? After all, godparents are an
alternative/spiritual set of parents.

Re: How can one add godparents to the relationship graphics?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Saral

The normal way would be to share the child's baptism/christening event
with their godparents setting the godparents' role as such. Keeping
the child's role as Primary, the child's name will appear in the
godparent's event list. In the child's record, it will just show
themselves. To see the godparents, you would need to open the event
and look at the References tab to see who also shares the event.

There is also an Association (far right) tab in the person's edit
screen. You can attach the godparents here. Not sure how this shows up
in reports but for an easy display, not very satisfying. On the
godparents' record, the god child shows as an attached reference but
noting showing what that relationship is. I have never actually used
this method. I just know that it exists.

A more graphical way may be to create a new "family" record. This
method may/will play havoc with reports and as a "Custom" use, no
translations or report narration will be available. But I think this
is what you may want.

The four normal family Types are Married, Unmarried, Civil Union, and
Unknown. Create a custom Type "Godparents" and attach the GF and GM to
the parents fields. Edit the child's Relationship to each parent to a
custom "Godchild' and you can source it at the same time with the
child's baptism source citations. If the same godfather godmother have
the same relationship with more godchildren, these children can be
added to the same "Family".

Not sure if this helps, but this was the most overt scenario I could
think of. I was an exchange student in high school and I have myself
as a "Sponsored" child in this additional family. Granted, their
Family type is "Married" and gramps knows how to treat this.
"Sponsored" not so much but this meets my needs showing the
relationship.

Maybe if you (and maybe others) can flesh this out more and maybe at
some point in the future, submit a feature request to formalize this
type of "family."

Dave

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 9:38 AM, SaraI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to keep track of who is whose godparent, co-parent and godchild. In my
> extended family, the bond is strong enough that I still consider my parents'
> godparents' children and grandchildren to be part of my family (akin to
> distant cousins one meets at least once or twice a year, but a definite part
> of the spiritual and everyday family nonetheless).
>
> I'm creating relationship reports to keep track of my distant cousins and
> help the younger generations know who is who, but I can't find a way to
> introduce godparents into the trees.
>
> Also, is there any way to create a godparent relationship that automatically
> sets the correspondent godchild and co-parent? After all, godparents are an
> alternative/spiritual set of parents.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: How can one add godparents to the relationship graphics?

SaraI
Hi, Dave.

Thanks for your answer. I am indeed using the Association Tab and, yes, the
relationship does show up in text reports and such, but they do not show up
in any diagrams at all. I'm afraid younger people (and not so younger)
benefit immensely from seeing a diagram in order to visualise and remember
their family connections.

I think I will take your advice and submit a feature request in the near
future.

I'll also try your suggestion for customising to make do in the meantime and
see how it goes. Most godparents are married, but there are a few who are
not so... I'll play around a bit.

I usually center the tree on a youngster so they can see the relationship
tag under each person's name, but I suppose I'll have to give that up with
this approach. Oh, well: they'll do it manually. It might help some
memories. :)

Have a nice weekend.

Re: How can one add godparents to the relationship graphics?

The relationship graph is messy enough already that adding another set of
parents to everyone would turn it into an impossible rat's nest.

Maybe a modified the hourglass chart would be more amenable to your needs.

On 01/19/2018 02:08 PM, SaraI wrote:

> Hi, Dave.
>
> Thanks for your answer. I am indeed using the Association Tab and, yes, the
> relationship does show up in text reports and such, but they do not show up
> in any diagrams at all. I'm afraid younger people (and not so younger)
> benefit immensely from seeing a diagram in order to visualise and remember
> their family connections.
>
> I think I will take your advice and submit a feature request in the near
> future.
>
> I'll also try your suggestion for customising to make do in the meantime and
> see how it goes. Most godparents are married, but there are a few who are
> not so... I'll play around a bit.
>
> I usually center the tree on a youngster so they can see the relationship
> tag under each person's name, but I suppose I'll have to give that up with
> this approach. Oh, well: they'll do it manually. It might help some
> memories. :)

Re: How can one add godparents to the relationship graphics?

SaraI
Ron Johnson wrote
> The relationship graph is messy enough already that adding another set of
> parents to everyone would turn it into an impossible rat's nest.

That's a good point.

Ron Johnson wrote
> Maybe a modified the hourglass chart would be more amenable to your needs.

I have so far steered away from the hourglass because the idea is to help
the younger generation keep track of an accumulation of cousins (one
grandmother alone had 13 children reaching adulthood). There's even a
married couple in my family who share cousins, even if they aren't blood
cousins themselves. It's important to have the whole fan explicit (over
several pages, naturally). Especially because spouses of cousins become
known as cousins and it gets to a point where one doesn't know if a certain
cousin is so by blood or marriage.

I was thinking that the best approach might be to simply have a 'dotted
line' connecting godparents-godchildren and then limit the godparents'
presence to their spouse, children and grandchildren, or have the limit be
what the user chooses.

That way, they'd be visibly connected to the right person but not have too
much of an impact.