How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

my previous geneaolgy program did not have a decent source or special
event functionality. So I just took my scanned document (e.g. a
chruchbook page) where a baptism was recorded, gave the file a name so
I could recognize what person is on it and from what churchbook it is
and attached it to the person directoly.

Now with gramps you could do it in so many different ways.... I wonder
how you do it?

Right now I'm using the following method:

- I created a Source for the microfilm of a complete Churchbook. For example
     "LDS microfilm 0069057"
     Author: Genealogical Society Utah
     Pub. Info. Goslar, 1951-06-16
- I attach some general images like the first three images of the microfilm
   to this source

- For a relevant page in this churchbook I create a citation and attach the
   previous created or already existing source to it.
   The page property I fill with  "Page 144"  or "Page 25, No. 12" for example

- Only this citation gets the image of the page.

- The created citation is now assigned to all relevant event (baptism
for example).

So neither the person, nor the event has the image - all it has is the
citation as I might use  the same "image" (citation) several times
(census for example). In the past I duplicated the image with my other
program....

How do you work? Is there a better way or what is the "intended way"?
I just try to get comfortable with gramps and seeking out for "best
practices" ;)

Best regards,
Oliver

    Author: Genealogical Society Utah
    Pub. Info. Goslar, 1951-06-16
- I attach some general images like the first three images of the microfilm
  to this source

- For a relevant page in this churchbook I create a citation and attach the
  previous created or already existing source to it.
  The page property I fill with  "Page 144"  or "Page 25, No. 12" for example

- Only this citation gets the image of the page.

- The created citation is now assigned to all relevant event (baptism for example).

So neither the person, nor the event has the image - all it has is the citation as I might use  the same "image" (citation) several times (census for example). In the past I duplicated the image with my other program....

How do you work? Is there a better way or what is the "intended way"? I just try to get comfortable with gramps and seeking out for "best practices" ;)

This is very similar to what I do.  It is exactly what I do for the citation/source part.  For saving files, I create directories for each source, though I have directories of directories to contain those because I have 1105 sources as of this morning.  I started doing this after reading the following article a few years ago, and I find it so much easier to use that naming things by surname. But others can and do make naming by surname work.

Phil.

    Author: Genealogical Society Utah
    Pub. Info. Goslar, 1951-06-16

--
Money Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Hi Oliver,

> my previous geneaolgy program did not have a decent source or special
> event functionality. So I just took my scanned document (e.g. a
> chruchbook page) where a baptism was recorded, gave the file a name so
> I could recognize what person is on it and from what churchbook it is
> and attached it to the person directoly.
>
> Now with gramps you could do it in so many different ways.... I wonder
> how you do it?
>
> Right now I'm using the following method:
>
> - I created a Source for the microfilm of a complete Churchbook. For
> example
>     "LDS microfilm 0069057"
>     Author: Genealogical Society Utah
>     Pub. Info. Goslar, 1951-06-16
For myself, I prefer to register the author and title of the original
document, so in case of a church book, the author might be the name of
the church, and the title anything found on the title page on film, or
in the film description. I would then put the LDS film information in
the publisher info.

I use this method, because I may find another source with better scans
later, like Alle Groningers, or Wie Was Wie, or Archion.de for Germany,
knowing that where the LDS has B&W films images on-line, these other
archives are switching to color scans fast, and having the original
author and title helps me finding those newer scans, whereas a film
number doesn't give any real clues.

This is sort of theory though, because I inherited a lot of citations
from my late father, who worked with Brother's Keeper 5.2, which has
less source/citation properties than Gramps has.

Hope this helps a bit.

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Michael Stockhausen
Hi Oliver, Enno,

in many cases, the very same church book may be available at different
locations and/or via different channels, for example
- the original (physical) manuscript in an archive
- on FHL microfilm
- digital images on Familysearch
- digital images on a website provided by the archive (e.g. Archion or
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/)
- etc.
The others are all just photos of the orignal.

I then create one single source (title: "Church book of Luth. Parish XYZ")
and attach it to the various respositories. The archive call number, FHL
film no., etc goes into the respective field "Standortnummer/Signatur"
("Call number" in English, I think).

While writing this email, I found this on Gramps Wiki:
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Repositories_in_Gramps

Unfortunately, there is no elegant way of keeping track in which of these 4
repositories I found the specific entries:
For one event, I may have made a print-out in a Family History Library a few
years ago; some others I found on Familysearch and downloaded the pics (for
free); yet others may only be accessible via Archion.
As said, for me the source is still always the same. In the citation
reference (volume/film/page field) I add the name of the repository, though.
Example:
- Source title: "Church book of Luth. Parish XYZ"
- Repository: Familysearch
- Citation: 1778 Birth no. 251 Johannes Schmidt [digital image,
Familysearch-URL...,  film# 008000001 image 567, filmed at Archive ABC],
viewed 2018-02-12

In case I find the information in an index and am not able to verify the
information by checking the original record (or a digital image), I create a
separate source.
"Church book of Luth. Parish XYZ - INDEX"; repository: "Familysearch Index"

To make things a bit more complicated: I actually create 3 different
sources - for births, marriages and deaths - as I use self-defined forms to
capture the main data found in these records. You can only attach ONE
attribute (for a form) to a source, that is why I need to separate.

Michael

> my previous geneaolgy program did not have a decent source or special
> event functionality. So I just took my scanned document (e.g. a chruchbook
> page) where a baptism was recorded, gave the file a name so I could
> recognize what person is on it and from what churchbook it is and attached
> it to the person directoly.
>
> Now with gramps you could do it in so many different ways.... I wonder how
> you do it?
>
> Right now I'm using the following method:
>
> - I created a Source for the microfilm of a complete Churchbook. For
> example
>     "LDS microfilm 0069057"
>     Author: Genealogical Society Utah
>     Pub. Info. Goslar, 1951-06-16
For myself, I prefer to register the author and title of the original
document, so in case of a church book, the author might be the name of
the church, and the title anything found on the title page on film, or
in the film description. I would then put the LDS film information in
the publisher info.

I use this method, because I may find another source with better scans
later, like Alle Groningers, or Wie Was Wie, or Archion.de for Germany,
knowing that where the LDS has B&W films images on-line, these other
archives are switching to color scans fast, and having the original
author and title helps me finding those newer scans, whereas a film
number doesn't give any real clues.

This is sort of theory though, because I inherited a lot of citations
from my late father, who worked with Brother's Keeper 5.2, which has
less source/citation properties than Gramps has.

Hope this helps a bit.

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Michael,

For me, any kind of reproduction of a reproduction would also be a
new source. Mostly my digital reproductions are from ancestry while
their churchbooks from Mecklenburg are the films from FHL. Even the
Archive in Schwerin uses those microfilms. They won't show you the
original books anyway ;)

I work with marking thouse sources. So the "original" source is the
FHL microfilm, and you can get access to it by FHL, Ancestry, Archion,
The archive itself. All are based on the same microfilm.
For example I have FHL films which are digital available on
FamilySearch, Archion and Ancestry. For that I would have 1 source
(because at is always the same microfilm) and I mark this source with
the marks:

Source: Ancestry
Source: Archion
Source: LDS
Source: microfilm

It would be nice if I could attach places to a source indicating that
something can be found about this place in the source. With that
technique I could have a place like "Church XYZ" and could additionally
attach this Church to the microfilm. Because you have one good point...
how do I find all sources of one place.

As I understand you always refer to the original source what was
microfilmed, scanned, photographed, photo copied or whatever. This
is of course also a good point - I've to think about that ;)

Best regards,
Oliver

Michael Stockhausen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> in the film description. I would then put the LDS film information in
> the publisher info.
>
> I use this method, because I may find another source with better scans
> later, like Alle Groningers, or Wie Was Wie, or Archion.de for Germany,
> knowing that where the LDS has B&W films images on-line, these other
> archives are switching to color scans fast, and having the original
> author and title helps me finding those newer scans, whereas a film
> number doesn't give any real clues.
>
> This is sort of theory though, because I inherited a lot of citations
> from my late father, who worked with Brother's Keeper 5.2, which has
> less source/citation properties than Gramps has.
>
> Hope this helps a bit.
>
> Enno

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Dave Scheipers
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:31 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It would be nice if I could attach places to a source indicating that
> something can be found about this place in the source. With that
> technique I could have a place like "Church XYZ" and could additionally
> attach this Church to the microfilm. Because you have one good point...
> how do I find all sources of one place.

Attaching a place to a Source is done via the Repository; i.e. where
you found the particular book or which website has the database.

Repository = where you went for the information
Source = what you looked at to get the information
Citation = what 'page' in the source had the information you found.

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Dave,

perfect! Shame on me - I didn't even noticed they where repositories.
Glad I found them now while I'm still about to migrate all the data
from my old tool :)

Best regards,
Oliver

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:31 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It would be nice if I could attach places to a source indicating that
>> something can be found about this place in the source. With that
>> technique I could have a place like "Church XYZ" and could additionally
>> attach this Church to the microfilm. Because you have one good point...
>> how do I find all sources of one place.
>
> Attaching a place to a Source is done via the Repository; i.e. where
> you found the particular book or which website has the database.
>
> Repository = where you went for the information
> Source = what you looked at to get the information
> Citation = what 'page' in the source had the information you found.

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Oliver,

In the Repository record there is the shared information; the place
and its address etc and can be used for all sources found there. When
you attach it to a source, there is the upper portion which is unique
to that source. What type of information but also the "Call Number"
You can put the number the library uses to find the book on the
shelves. But for something like a FamilySearch database, I'll put the
FamilySearch URL directly to that database in this field.

HTH, Dave

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> perfect! Shame on me - I didn't even noticed they where repositories.
> Glad I found them now while I'm still about to migrate all the data
> from my old tool :)
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver
>

> Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:31 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be nice if I could attach places to a source indicating that
>>> something can be found about this place in the source. With that
>>> technique I could have a place like "Church XYZ" and could additionally
>>> attach this Church to the microfilm. Because you have one good point...
>>> how do I find all sources of one place.
>>

>> Attaching a place to a Source is done via the Repository; i.e. where
>> you found the particular book or which website has the database.
>>
>> Repository = where you went for the information
>> Source = what you looked at to get the information
>> Citation = what 'page' in the source had the information you found.

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Dave,

OK - so would it be suggested to indeed have a Source for the original
churchbook and not its microfilm?

Right now I would have
Repository: LDS
Source: Microfilm XYZ
Citation: Page 12 of that Microfilm

Where would I put the name and place of the curch the book was initially
created? What would I do if this microfilm would contain multiple books
from different churches?

On the other side, when I create the source as

Repository: LDS
Source: Churchbook Schwerin dome
Citation: Page ???

How do I know manage having different digitalisations of the same page?
I collect everything I find - so sometimes I have a b/w microfilm page
as well as a color scan of the exact same page - I want to keep both!
What do I do if the original churchbook has no page numbers and no
page-indicator was used when it was microfilm - both is kinda common
on my documents.

Main question is - is the original book the source or is each reproduction
a source, or even - is all of them a different source. The original book
is a source as well as each of it's reproduction?

What is the best way to have a search like "what sources do I have which
cover data about the place XYZ" like - what are all the sources which
cover the parish Berlin. I would have Berlin as a place and maybe all
the churches there relevant to me - but I can't link this, right? I would
have to use the free-text-field "Publication" and hope I made no typo
in it and always fill it the same way? ;)

Just searching for "the best solution" ;)

Best regards,
Oliver

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> In the Repository record there is the shared information; the place
> and its address etc and can be used for all sources found there. When
> you attach it to a source, there is the upper portion which is unique
> to that source. What type of information but also the "Call Number"
> You can put the number the library uses to find the book on the
> shelves. But for something like a FamilySearch database, I'll put the
> FamilySearch URL directly to that database in this field.
>
> HTH, Dave
>
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> perfect! Shame on me - I didn't even noticed they where repositories.
>> Glad I found them now while I'm still about to migrate all the data
>> from my old tool :)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oliver
>>

>> Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Attaching a place to a Source is done via the Repository; i.e. where
>>> you found the particular book or which website has the database.
>>>
>>> Repository = where you went for the information
>>> Source = what you looked at to get the information
>>> Citation = what 'page' in the source had the information you found.

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

There is no best solution, since genealogical sources are so varied.

For example, while I prefer to cite the original source (even though I get it from LDS scans), sometimes I must cite the LDS scan.  Even then, my Source is the original location (Churchbook Schwerin dome) and the Citation has as much information as possible (Year, month, birth/baptism/marriage/death, etc) so that someone going to Schwerin could -- with some effort -- find the original.

As far as what to do with multiple scans... attach them both to the Citation.  Remember: the actual citation is the page in Churchbook, not the LDS scan.

wrote:

[...]

You certainly know that it is no longer possible to rent microfilms. I have
the impression that LDS are more and more replacing the film numbers by the
new DGS numbers. Church records that are now being digitized do not receive
film numbers at all anymore. In addition, many church records have not been
filmed by LDS at all. On the other hand, some church records have been
filmed more than once, with different film numbers. Short: I personally
would refrain from basing my methodology on LDS fiilm numbers.

<On the other side, when I create the source as

<Repository: LDS
<Source: Churchbook Schwerin dome
<Citation: Page ???

<How do I know manage having different digitalisations of the same page?
<I collect everything I find - so sometimes I have a b/w microfilm page
<as well as a color scan of the exact same page - I want to keep both!
<What do I do if the original churchbook has no page numbers and no
<page-indicator was used when it was microfilm - both is kinda common
<on my documents.

As mentioned in my previous email, I cite year/date, record/page number,
person's name of the original record, but then also note (in the citation
reference) where concretely I found the entry, so e.g. Familysearch (perhaps
URL), DGS or film number, image number.

<Main question is - is the original book the source or is each reproduction
<a source, or even - is all of them a different source. The original book
<is a source as well as each of it's reproduction?

For me, this is one source. Just like two books with the same title and same
edition in two different libraries or even digitized by Google books would
be one source.
In Poland. e.g., you have the church records (religious) and a copy for
civil purposes. The civil duplicates were handwritten by the pastor, usually
have more or less the same content, but then again sometimes a bit
different, maybe even contradictory. In these cases I create two sources.

<What is the best way to have a search like "what sources do I have which
<cover data about the place XYZ" like - what are all the sources which
<cover the parish Berlin. I would have Berlin as a place and maybe all
<the churches there relevant to me - but I can't link this, right? I would
<have to use the free-text-field "Publication" and hope I made no typo
<in it and always fill it the same way? ;)

I use the source abbreviation (Quellen - Abkürzung) for this, e.g.    DE,
Brandenburg, Berlin Parish1;      DE, Brandenburg, Berlin Parish2.

Michael

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Hi Oliver

I'll not necessarily address each issue, but give an over of what and
why I do my repos/source/citations.

Of course, the main purpose is to give credit to where I've found the
information. I only attach citations to events when the citation
'proves' the information. Just because a census will give clues as to
birth, I do not attach the census to the birth. Others attach
citations even if it is only a clue, the idea being they want to know
where they got the clue. neither method is right or wrong.

The other purpose of citations is so you, or anyone else, can go back
to the original information. In this regards, I'll use as the source
title the name the website calls the database. For the citation, I
would use whatever the site puts at the top of the image which would
often include the town or church, etc with years and image numbers.
The same type of info is how I will name the image file. This applies
to images that will contain lists of other persons and their
information. If the image is specific to a person, the image naming
will be specific to the person with the type of record (obit, birth,
death, etc) name and date. The image gets attached to the citation so
anyone can see for themselves. The image is ultimately what our
relatives are interested in (if they are interested).

The key is that the citation have enough information that using the
database, I (or you) can re-find the information. Records with no
image are easier to document because I will put the record's url in
the notes of the citation (which is not a bad idea even when an image
is found).

Personally, I do not worry about the underlying microfilm information.
Others have pointed out that that info is often the 'unchangeable' bit
of info to get back to an image. Names of the database are easily
changed.

One issue you brought up is getting the same image from multiple
sources. In this case I try hard to only use the images from the
source that generally has the best images. I try to minimize having
duplicates of the same info. duplicate images with duplicate file
names (or worse, the same image with different names because of the
way the images are stored [ancestry v. familysearch]). If you do want
to include all these various 'copies' there are some things to
remember. An image itself can have a citation which could lead you
back to its source. The image could then be attached to a more generic
source title along with all the other images. The other method is to
have varying source titles by repository and then attaching multiple
citations of the same info to the event.

My last observation is that if the information I am using comes from a
published book, I'll try to get a PDF version of the book for my
files. This negates the need to find or make image copies of
individual pages. My main research is early New England which had many
published vital records as well as family records published by
genealogist of the time. google books and archive.org are a great
sources for these PDF books. These Sources I record as a regular book
with the repository of where I got the PDF. The book PDF gets attached
to the Source record. In the citation the normal Volume/Page applies
with one exception. Next to the Page:## I'll add (pdf:##) referring to
the PDF's page number which is often different than the 'book' page.
Obviously, not every old book has been scanned. Just putting it out
there as a resource.

I hope this has given you some things to think about. But remember,
the 'best practice' is what works for YOU. The types of resources we
each have access to will shape how we set up our records.

Keep in mind: Repository = Where, Source = What, Citation = Specifics.
How you actually fit what you find into those three areas is up to
you.

Best regards
Dave

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> OK - so would it be suggested to indeed have a Source for the original
> churchbook and not its microfilm?
>
> Right now I would have
> Repository: LDS
> Source: Microfilm XYZ
> Citation: Page 12 of that Microfilm
>
> Where would I put the name and place of the curch the book was initially
> created? What would I do if this microfilm would contain multiple books
> from different churches?
>
> On the other side, when I create the source as
>
> Repository: LDS
> Source: Churchbook Schwerin dome
> Citation: Page ???
>
> How do I know manage having different digitalisations of the same page?
> I collect everything I find - so sometimes I have a b/w microfilm page
> as well as a color scan of the exact same page - I want to keep both!
> What do I do if the original churchbook has no page numbers and no
> page-indicator was used when it was microfilm - both is kinda common
> on my documents.
>
> Main question is - is the original book the source or is each reproduction
> a source, or even - is all of them a different source. The original book
> is a source as well as each of it's reproduction?
>
> What is the best way to have a search like "what sources do I have which
> cover data about the place XYZ" like - what are all the sources which
> cover the parish Berlin. I would have Berlin as a place and maybe all
> the churches there relevant to me - but I can't link this, right? I would
> have to use the free-text-field "Publication" and hope I made no typo
> in it and always fill it the same way? ;)
>
> Just searching for "the best solution" ;)
>

> Best regards,
> Oliver
>
> Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Oliver,
>>
>> In the Repository record there is the shared information; the place
>> and its address etc and can be used for all sources found there. When
>> you attach it to a source, there is the upper portion which is unique
>> to that source. What type of information but also the "Call Number"
>> You can put the number the library uses to find the book on the
>> shelves. But for something like a FamilySearch database, I'll put the
>> FamilySearch URL directly to that database in this field.
>>
>> HTH, Dave
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> perfect! Shame on me - I didn't even noticed they where repositories.
>>> Glad I found them now while I'm still about to migrate all the data
>>> from my old tool :)
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Oliver

Re: How do your organize your digitized documents, sources, events and persons?

Oliver Lehmann
Hi all,

thank you all for your information. I think I now found a way on how to work
with Repositories, Sources and Citations.

I have now Repositories like FamilySearch, Ancestry, Archive-A, Archive-B and
my sources are - when speaking of books - the real book.

I attach all the repositories I found which have this book or a copy of it
and in the call number at the source I enter all the reference numbers the
different sources have for the same book in each repository.
So for LDS it is right now the microfilm-number and for Ancestry it is the
URL (no idea what will happen in 30 years with this URL ;))

The citation gets all the Images I collected for the page (or double-page)
from no matter what source they came from (it is just a reproduction of the
original book page anyway). I always try to use the page number from the
book. If there is no I'll try to describe it like Michael suggested with year
date and so on.

The place where the book was initialy written (civil registration, church...)
I put into "Pub. info" like "Stettin Lutherkirche". I can then easily search
by "Stettin" to find all the sources I have for Stettin. A possibility to
link a real Gramps-Place to it would make it tiny bit better in my view as I
tend to "normalize" everything I see (15+ year DB programming experience ;))
but it is OK like it is now!

I've a good feeling with that.

I just don't know when I'll begin migrating the ~3000 imported people with
all their events to this new citation stuff. Right now the imported citations
are a big mess.
At least this keeps me busy for quite some time - and this is what we all
want, right? :)

Best regards,
Oliver