How non-programmers can help

Don Allingham
I started to put this together in response to a question that I was
recently asked. If you can come up with other ways a non-programmer can
help, please feel free to add to the list.

GRAMPS TODO List for Non-Programmers

 * Manual

   The manual needs significant work to bring it up to speed with the
   current version. A lot of features are not mentioned in the manual.

 * Tutorials

   There are a lot of functions in the program need some clarification
   for the average user. A nice step by step guide on how to accomplish
   certain features would be good.

 * GEDCOM testcase development

   GEDCOM files come in many different flavors. No two programs produce
   the same GEDCOM, any most generate invalid GEDCOM or GEDCOM with
   custom extensions.  We need a wide variety of test cases that we can
   keep for testing purposes. These need to be fairly complete,
   excercising the full set of options each program can generate.

 * XML test case development

   A good XML file needs to exist that exercises all features on the
   GRAMPS XML database.

 * CSS style sheet development for web page generator

   Additional style sheets for the web page generator are always needed.
   We need several more high quality style sheets.

 * Web page optimization

   Examine the web page output and look for optimizations that would
   reduce the file sizes.

 * Packaging for different distributions

   We have most of the major distributions covered, but the more
   packages we have available, the better off we are.

 * Test Plan development

   Develop a test plan to identify step by step which items need to be
   verified.

 * Automated testing (dogtail)

   Develop scripts for dogtail that will allow automated testing of the
   interface. The scripts should be based off the Test Plan.

 * Translations

   Translations are always needed. The more language support we have,
   the better of we are.

 * Bug verification

   Monitor the bug reports both on the mailing lists and on the bug
   tracker, and verify that bugs are actually bugs. Collect any
   additional information you can get to help the developers duplicate
   the problem. Look for duplicate bugs and identify them.

 * "Expert" on the mailing lists

   Right now, the developers seem to be the only one who answer
   questions asked on the mailing lists. Participate in the mailing
   lists, answering questions asked by users.

 * IRC participation

   Participate in the IRC channel (#gramps on irc.freenode.net). Help
   new users with questions and discuss issues with the developers.

Re: How non-programmers can help

Duncan Lithgow
Thanks for that list Don, there's a few things there I'll take you up
on.

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk