How should uncertainty about a place of an event be noted in GRAMPS?

How should uncertainty about a place of an event be noted in GRAMPS?

mike.papa.sierra
When using GRAMPS it is easy to note uncertainty about a date of an event by using a date range (e.g. „about").

But how should I note uncertainty about a place when entering an event like birth?

I guess, one way would be adding a note to the event which will not show up in graphics and might easily be overlooked.

The other option I see is adding the likelihood to the place name itself. This will mess up my hierachy of place with entries like „Frankfurt am Main (presumably)“. In addition, „Frankfurt am Main“ and „Frankfurt am Main (presumably)“ ending up as two different places!

Any suggestions from more experienced users?

Regards Marcus

Re: How should uncertainty about a place of an event be noted in GRAMPS?

Philip Weiss
I don't have a good solution.  I've generally "moved up" the hierarchy until I had a place I was reasonably certain the event occurred.  E.g., I'm not sure it happened in city X, but it was within the county, so I record the county.  Sometimes I use a note.  And sometimes I just don't record a place at all.

One possibility that I've been noodling on but haven't tried yet is to record a specialized place in a 4.1 hierarchy.  I.e., the name is "Patrick Parker's death location", record it as a type of "Approximate" or something like that, and then make that enclosed by the most likely place(s) it occurs in.  Patrick Parker most likely died in Osceola Township, Franklin County, Iowa, or Washington Township, Butler COunty, Iowa (he had children living in both places, which is near his burial location).  I can record it as being in both places with the hierarchy.  And knowing that the type is "approximate" tells me there's some level of uncertainty.  I've mostly been thinking about this in terms of homesteads where I'm pretty sure they're in one county but I don't know the exact location yet.

All of that going to help me record a location in a way to help me find records.  But I haven't thought through the implications of the scheme yet, so I haven't pulled the trigger.  I don't really want to have to go back and clean it up if there's a big drawback I haven't yet thought of.

Phil.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Marcus Sandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
When using GRAMPS it is easy to note uncertainty about a date of an event by using a date range (e.g. „about").

But how should I note uncertainty about a place when entering an event like birth?

I guess, one way would be adding a note to the event which will not show up in graphics and might easily be overlooked.

The other option I see is adding the likelihood to the place name itself. This will mess up my hierachy of place with entries like „Frankfurt am Main (presumably)“. In addition, „Frankfurt am Main“ and „Frankfurt am Main (presumably)“ ending up as two different places!

Any suggestions from more experienced users?

Regards Marcus

Re: How should uncertainty about a place of an event be noted in GRAMPS?

Laura Lambert

On Feb 26, 2015 11:08 AM, "Philip Weiss" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have a good solution.  I've generally "moved up" the hierarchy until I had a place I was reasonably certain the event occurred.  E.g., I'm not sure it happened in city X, but it was within the county, so I record the county.  Sometimes I use a note.  And sometimes I just don't record a place at all.

I am also one who moves up the hierarchy, perhaps with a to-do style note for more research later including where I think the correct location may be (and why).   Part of this may be related to the fact I'm currently attempting to verify and update the information my grandmother did in the 1970's  prior to her death in 1979.   She had information going back 4-6 generations (mainly names and dates with locations which may be quite vague), but lots of misplaced branches which I'm working on hunting down.

Re: How should uncertainty about a place of an event be noted in GRAMPS?

Martin Steer-2
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 02:27:03PM +0100, Marcus Sandberg wrote:
>When using GRAMPS it is easy to note uncertainty about a date of an event by using a date range (e.g. „about").
>
>But how should I note uncertainty about a place when entering an event like birth?
>
>I guess, one way would be adding a note to the event which will not show up in graphics and might easily be overlooked.
>
>The other option I see is adding the likelihood to the place name itself. This will mess up my hierachy of place with entries like „Frankfurt am Main (presumably)“. In addition, „Frankfurt am Main“ and „Frankfurt am Main (presumably)“ ending up as two different places!

I would say that if you don't have a source for a place, then don't
record one (likewise for a date). What would you do if you were
uncertain about both date and place? Would you be happy with 'abt 1900'
and 'presumably Frankfurt am Main'?

Ultimately it's a question of what you think you're doing. What I want
to be recording as an event is something I have data for. My
speculations, etc, belong elsewhere, such as in a research note.

Omissions (empty dates, places, unknown births) are easy to spot, so
easy to go back to later.

M.